Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #15
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Unless you care about performance, then you will not do that at all. Hawk Ceramic's are absolute garbage in a performance setting.
That was my questions. I hate cleaning these black wheels, but I would hate not stopping even more!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #16
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Hybrid pads.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #17
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
While we are talking brake pads, let me give a quick review: I recently changed out pads and rotors. At 93,000 miles, the rotors were a little warped (probably the result of a tire shop I'd gone to that over- torqued the crap out my lug nuts... this can also warp rotors. I have never overheated my brakes). The OEM pads were still good--- maybe another 20,000- 30,000 miles remaining, but, since I was doing the rotors, I figured I might as well change the pads out, too.

(Incidentally, every other vehicle I have ever owned while living here goes through a set of pads in about 5000 miles.... typical for mountain drivers here. Getting 93,000+ is a number nobody else here believes, ESPECIALLY given that I drive very hard and fast.)

I went with the top of the line DuraLast... Max Gold.

In ONE single, hard stop going from 60 to zero, there is enough brake dust generated to leave a visible trail if I run my finger along the rim. ONE stop does that. After a full day's commute, my front wheels are very dark. My level of automotive vanity has me wiping them down at least once, sometimes twice each day for my 70- mile total commute. The OEM brake pads never once generated visible brake dust residue, even if I went 1000 miles without a wash... but these things generate more dust in a single stop than 1000 miles with the OEM pads.

I'm also fairly certain that since I SEE a generous amount of brake material deposited as dust on my wheels, that these pads will not last long. I'm pretty sure that I'll get about 5000 miles out of them... well, I would, if not for the fact that I will be chucking these in the trash as soon as I can get myself a set of OEM pads: I'm not going to waste 5000 miles furiously and constantly wiping filth off of my wheels.

I use a lot of DuraLast products, and I'm generally happy with them. These freakin' pads do NOT fall into that category.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #18
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
If you buy the pads labeled as Original Equipment in the catalog, they are Brembo. If you go with AC Delco replacements, they might be made by them, or Affinia, who makes Raybestos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 PM   #19
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
If you buy the pads labeled as Original Equipment in the catalog, they are Brembo. If you go with AC Delco replacements, they might be made by them, or Affinia, who makes Raybestos.
BINGO...this ^^^

I'm a parts manager at a Chevy dealership,GM lists three different types of brake pads/shoes for most vehicles...

OE (Best) - DuraStop (Better) - and Advantage (Good)

The OE would obviously be what your car came with originally from the factory,in the case of our Camaro SS's/ZL1's it would be Brembo's.

And the DuraStop and Advantage pads are AC-Delco's made by Raybesto's.

Same goes for Rotors/drums,the OE rotors on our Camaro's are made by Brembo as well.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:48 PM   #20
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
The Original pads on the Brembo brakes are Brembo pads. However when replacing at the dealer you may end up with AC Delco pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
nope.
Actually its very possible,if the dealer sells you DuraStop or Advantage pads they are AC-Delco pads made by Raybesto's.
If they sell you the OE pads then they would be Brembo's from Brembo.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #21
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
[QUOTE=BaylorCamaro;8289907

Unless you care about performance, then you will not do that at all. Hawk Ceramic's are absolute garbage in a performance setting.[/QUOTE]

You are correct , I have EBC Yellow Stuff , Yes it makes some dust and I have to wash my Rims , I would never switch back to anything else , The stopping power is tremendous , I could care less on the brake dust being created.
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote