Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Deathmore

Drives: None Yet
Just tried to buy another Camaro. Worst Experience of my Life.

Ok so last night I went to a Chevrolet dealership to buy another Camaro(I just totaled my 2010 2SS a month ago). I went in patient calm and ready to do business. First they ignored me and didn't take me seriously which kind of pissed me off, but Im 21 so I kind of understood and just let it go. Once I showed them my pay stubs and told them I had $10,000 to put down they took me to the cars. I pretty much knew exactly what I wanted, we found a car that was right for me but it had a cracked windshield(the cars brand new though). I told them I wasn't to worried about it and if they just put a new windshield in I would be fine with the car. So then we go through about 2 hours of them trying to really screw me on the price(which once again I let go because I'm 21) we get to a number closest enough that I was willing to sign the paperwork and leave. I gave them $1500 but told them I would come back tomorrow with the other $8500 when they fix the windshield.

Today is when all hell broke loose. I came back bright and early check in hand and they start their B.S. first they can't approve me for the financing we agreed upon last night. So they shred up the signed sale contract from last night(which I thorouly went over)so they could write up a new one. So they go through another 2 hours of trying to screw me and we get to another finance agreement same interest rate but for 60 months. I sign all the paperwork and then we get to the new sales contract and the vehicle purchase price is $1700 higher(this is before the finance numbers come into play) so I argue with the guy about it and get nowhere with him. Then I tell him I'm not signing the paper until the windshield is fixed and the number match up, but we can argue about the numbers later. End of the story I sit there another hour and he can't fix the window till tomorrow and they will call me up then to come back and sign the contract and write the check.

Heres where it gets confuseing. Yesterday I left with car and it was registered and insured in my name(I found out this mourning they insured me under the wrong vin number as well). At this point I don't even want the car, and when I left today I walked home leaving the car with them. How will this all play out if I try to back out now. Technically there's no signed sales contract, but the car was registered in my name. Can I still walk away without screwing up my credit? I just want to leave the car with them and never have to think of it again, but I don't want to ruin any of my financial history.

Sorry for the long ass thread, but I really need help with this.
Deathmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
The deal is not complete until you sign and drive it off. Technically, you did that yesterday, but the dealer rescinded the deal by not only failing to honor the terms of the contract but then tore up the deal. Making whatever was agreed to previously null and void.

They legally can not make you sign the paperwork nor can they force you to take delivery.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
I suggest you go to a different dealer
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
So you did drive the vehicle home at one point? Even if you did, I thought you had up to 3 days to back out no questions asked. Sorry you had such a bad experience and I hope you get it resolved. Don't let them bully you into taking the car.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
Tell them no deal....no signed paperwork = no deal.
Get your financing arranged through your bank or credit union and then go to another dealers and get best price - cash money.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Deathmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
So you did drive the vehicle home at one point? Even if you did, I thought you had up to 3 days to back out no questions asked. Sorry you had such a bad experience and I hope you get it resolved. Don't let them bully you into taking the car.
Yes I drove the vehicle home last night at 9:00PM after I signed the original sales contact. I drove it back to them at 9:00AM this mourning to get the window fixed and give them the other $8,500 of my down payment. Unfortunately that's not what happened they instead shredded the Orignal Sales Contract and tried to get me to sign a new one. Which I refused to do.

I've already decided no matter what they do, at this point I'm not taking the car. I'm just not sure how everything will work out. Technically the car is in my name and is no longer a new vehicle.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Deathmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchambless View Post
Tell them no deal....no signed paperwork = no deal.
Get your financing arranged through your bank or credit union and then go to another dealers and get best price - cash money.
Thats the thing they have a bunch of signed paperwork( registration, credit check, warranty agreements, etc etc) they just don't have a signed sales contract.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
z28-conv

Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
I would go to another dealer also.
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Jose

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS White S/C
If the original contract was shredded, there is NO contract. Get out of that car and leave it in their parking lot and ask for your $1500.00 back, nothing wrong about it, at the end it is YOU the one paying and driving the car, not them.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Jose

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS White S/C
Tell them also that you talked this with your lawyer, they hate that word.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Could always call GM customer service, they may say WTF.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
Scooter11

Drives: 2013 SW 2LS
Hmm, I'd talk to your lawyer.
Scooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Your first mistake was waiting around long enough to show them pay stubs and say you had a down payment before they even showed you any cars
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
That is a popular myth, there is no cooling off period on cars. You sign and drive it off it's yours.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote