Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
toddbyrum

Drives: 2013 1LE
brakes grabbing from at dead stop

Just picked up my 2013 1LE and driving back cross country from Oklahoma to San Diego. Bought a Valentine Radar Detector which has saved me about 6 times so far and 1200 miles later.

Car had 900 miles on it when I bought it….problem is this (and has only happened about 3 or 4 times): Sometimes when I take off from a dead stop if feels like the breaks are on in the rear and I have to literally step on the gas to get it to break free. You expect the car to jam out into traffic but it is like someone is holding you back. This happen to anyone else?

On a side note: my Navigation screen won't stay on when I have a usb in playing music….keeps going back to the usb screen by itself….any advice?

Thanks guys.
toddbyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Have you done a fuse pull? If someone put low octane fuel in before you bought it you could be stuck on the lower fuel table.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
Sounds like the stupid hill start assist crap kicking in.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
It sounds like you are experiencing the Hill Start Assist "feature". It will automatically hold the car from a dead stop if the brakes are applied. It is the worst feature ever on the car IMO. You can get rid of it but you have to replace the YAW sensor. There is a thread in the diy section of the forum...I will find the link for you. I did the mod on my car and haven't looked back.

Here ya go....http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300649
Old 01-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
toddbyrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Sounds like the stupid hill start assist crap kicking in.

hmmm, that is kinda what if feels like…last time it happened I was on an incline for sure….do you know if you can turn that off??? If you can't drive a clutch you probably shouldn't own this car!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
toddbyrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn18 View Post
It sounds like you are experiencing the Hill Start Assist "feature". It will automatically hold the car from a dead stop if the brakes are applied. It is the worst feature ever on the car IMO. You can get rid of it but you have to replace the YAW sensor. There is a thread in the diy section of the forum...I will find the link for you. I did the mod on my car and haven't looked back.

Here ya go....http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300649

Thanks for the info…that sounds about right. It even did it in reverse yesterday on a hill that wasn't even really a hill.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbyrum View Post
Thanks for the info…that sounds about right. It even did it in reverse yesterday on a hill that wasn't even really a hill.
Yep..It does it whenever you are stopped with the brakes applied...I absolutely hate it and switched sensors on my car first thing.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
GR8WHITE1

Drives: camaro
Mine has done this 3 times already, I need to take it in to the dealer. Every time it has been level and its after I have started the car and its locking the brakes and smelling like burning clutch/brakes when I tried to drive.
GR8WHITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
When it is engaged, their is a light on the dash and I think a message in the HUD.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #10
B-_-RAD
Banned

Drives: ...
I would hesitate to change that part seeing as it may interfere or cause an unwanted effect with airbags.... Seems like it would be a great excuse to get out of the $10k mysterious airbag deployment
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-_-RAD View Post
I would hesitate to change that part seeing as it may interfere or cause an unwanted effect with airbags.... Seems like it would be a great excuse to get out of the $10k mysterious airbag deployment
It tells the computer your car is on an angle. Do your air bags deploy every time you get a tow? No. They're unrelated.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #12
GR8WHITE1

Drives: camaro
Nothing showed on my dash could feel something wasn't right then the smell lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
GR8WHITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #13
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbyrum View Post
hmmm, that is kinda what if feels like…last time it happened I was on an incline for sure….do you know if you can turn that off??? If you can't drive a clutch you probably shouldn't own this car!
If it is hill assist you can game it. Let go of the brake early and your car will stay put for about 5 seconds then hill assist will turn off. Now gas and release the clutch like normal. Good luck.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #14
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8WHITE1 View Post
Mine has done this 3 times already, I need to take it in to the dealer. Every time it has been level and its after I have started the car and its locking the brakes and smelling like burning clutch/brakes when I tried to drive.
I have had this happen without hill assist two times. Once was parallel parking resulting where I didn't fit resulting in needing to turn the car 180 on the road. Normal driving. And it smelled like the clutch was burning up.

The second was pulling into a parking garage in San Francisco on a hill, again without hill assist being on, and the constant clutching and releasing and the sharp pavement angle getting into the parking garage resulted in wheel jitter and grabbing and eventually that same burning clutch smell.

Thank god this has only happened twice in a year.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, nab, parking brake, sticking, sticky