Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #29
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
They can not void your warranty unless they can prove the failure was directly caused by the aftermarket part(s).
Shu71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
dplyttle

Drives: 2SS RS Black with Cyber Gray Stripe
I spoke with one of my local Chevy dealers (Putnam Chevy in Burlingame, CA) and asked about after market exhaust mods. Took the person a while to track down the info but the bottom line is, if there is any issue related to the modification (ie: exhaust) then the warranty would not cover the cost of repair. Also, the modification itself (ie: exhaust) would definitely not be covered under any warranty supplied through GM.

My thought is most warranty service would be "traced back" to the modification and repair work under warranty would be denied.
dplyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #31
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dplyttle View Post
I spoke with one of my local Chevy dealers (Putnam Chevy in Burlingame, CA) and asked about after market exhaust mods. Took the person a while to track down the info but the bottom line is, if there is any issue related to the modification (ie: exhaust) then the warranty would not cover the cost of repair. Also, the modification itself (ie: exhaust) would definitely not be covered under any warranty supplied through GM.

My thought is most warranty service would be "traced back" to the modification and repair work under warranty would be denied.
And they have to be able to prove it. If something happens to your car, some a-hole dealers will try and tell you that your mods caused the problem. Take it somewhere else if thats the case.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #32
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I have aftermarket cai, shorty headers, high flow cats, catback exhaust, Hurst shifter, catch can, and CNC ported throttle body on my car. I've taken it in for service at least 6 times in the past year and 1/2 for: 2 oil leaks, window indexing, notchy shifting, etc. and never had a problem with warranty! They just replaced my entire transmission because of the notchy shifting issues even though I have a Hurst shifter, although they have had the problem on record even with the stock shifter! Now if you do an aftermarket tune GM has come right out and said that this would definatly void the drivetrain warranty if detected.

So with bolt-ons GO for it! You can always go back to stock if worried but watch out if you tune!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #33
bowtieguy66

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I talked with my GM dealer today, and they said, "everything is basically cool, but you put a tune on it, warranty is void". So any mod that would require a tune is out. And like the others say, " you put on an entire exhaust etc., their not going to cover something that they didn't produce or was not originally on the car when it was built".
bowtieguy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #34
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7

if you want your car loud, and looking to turn heads. and dont want to get headers and a tune. there you go !!!
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #35
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Any modification can be used as an excuse by the dealer. CAI and tune gets rid of the powertrain warranty. Air ride changes the drivetrain angles and voids warranty on driveline. LED's kill any electrical warranty. It all depends on your dealer and how bad his warranty rate is. Dealers are judged on warranty $ per vehicle sales. If the ratio is bad, corporate reviews ALL warranty claims. If the dealer is in deep kimshi with GM already, they are more apt to find a reason to void your waranty.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #36
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dplyttle View Post

This seems to be GM's position on their warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
And they have to be able to prove it. If something happens to your car
The customer must be willing to pursue the denial of the warranty.

Will the average customer pay $1,700 for a repair that should be covered under warranty then pay another $1,200 in attorney fees to prove the repair should have been covered..?...I doubt it. We are seeing more and more that customers will not pursue recourse, and GM knows this.

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #37
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Depends on who you ask. The FTC clearly stated manufacturers couldn't viod warranties for aftermarket parts. Then the "blocked" warranty was invented.

Shady ass semantics to skirt the intent of the law. Ask just about any dealer that sees a blocked warranty what that means and they'll say - your warranty is void.

SEMA's lawyers need to get back to work on making sure the intent of the Magnusun Moss Act is being followed and just not the technicality of the word Void.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote