Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
Finally got to test drive a Camaro - Interesting Story...

Well, I finally managed to get my first test drive of a Camaro last weekend. And boy was it an interesting experience.

I saw a yellow Camaro on a Kia dealer lot as I drive to and from work each day, so last Saturday, I figured I would check it out being as I haven't had the opportunity to drive one at a GM dealer.

I pull in, and first thing I notice is that it has aftermarket 20" wheels on it... not my favorite, but interesting. Then I notice that it has RS badges on it, so that's a plus. Has black stripes on it too. I park up, and instantly am greeted by a salesman. I walk over to the car, walking up to it from behind. The salesman says 'Yup - this is the R5 version' as he looks at the RS badge - (read Arrr Five)... I roll my eyes. Here we go, someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.

As I walk around the car, I see that it's a V6. As I get to the front, I notice that it doesn't have HIDs or Halos, and that the roof ditch moldings are black. And I thought it strange that someone would get rid of the OEM 20"s as they are nice wheels. So then I realize that they have put RS badges on the car and that is it. Really?

So he opens it up and I get in, to find that not only is it a V6, it's the LS... hence the reason for dressing it up with aftermarket rims, stripes and badges. The sticker price on the window - $34,995!!!!

I think what the heck and take it out for a test drive. It was nice and tight, but there was a clunking in the suspension in the front left, which I wasn't impressed with after only 7000 miles recorded on the ODO. And then the V6... well, it wasn't nearly as impressive as I was expecting. It was decent, but then I guess I am used to the initial 'seat of the pants' 4WD acceleration of my HEMI. My Jeep is no rocket and on paper the V6 Camaro beats it, but it didn't 'feel fast' with my butt dyno.

Apart from that, I couldn't live with the cloth on the dash, I hate that. So no LS for me!!!

Get back to the dealer... tell him the car is worth no more than $25,000 and that is being generous being as it is pre owned. He ums and ah's gets his manager and comes to talk to me. Being as I knew what I was talking about, he came clean, said it was a fleet car, they put the stripes, wheels and badges on it... but I could have it for $27,900. So he came down $7000 without flinching. However, if i was in the market for a V6, I could order my own brand new loaded 2LT for $1000 more!!!

I walked away saying thanks but no thanks, but came away with this...

I know I want an SS now, definitely. No questions.
I want the comforts too. So I want a 2SS.

Now I just have to wait to afford exactly what I want!!!

This is the car that I test drove - the 'internet' price is $30,985:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Good for you for being educated on the Camaro and not taken in by schmucks like that. Get the 2SS, I looked at the 1SS and it was an easy decision for me.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Definitely get the 2SS, it is an absolutely awesome Camaro.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
SRM
New England Daily Driver

Drives: 2010 2SS RS CGM
You will not regret getting a 2SS if you can afford it.

Previous: 2010 2SS RS, 2007 WRX, 2000 Z28, and a few 2nd gen Fbodies...
SRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
No, you got the 'Internet' price wrong too. You test drove an LS, your internet example was an LT. and marked up.

You did very well though. LOVE the story. I wish I could have seen the look on their faces. But something tells me they will be 'Schooled' even more in the near future.

Good for you taking them to the mat. Awesome.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Alabama

Drives: 2ss RS 8cyl Manual Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Definitely get the 2SS, it is an absolutely awesome Camaro.
+1
Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Hey, it is a nice looking car, but WAY too much money. That needs to be around 21-22K.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
shop around... I found my 2SS/RS up north for 3K under invoice and you just have to spend the time dealing and wheeling with salespeople. The larger dealerships with 30-40 sitting on their lots are where to start. Sales guy told me that I got the sickest deal ever on a 2SS/RS because of the hard winter setting in and they needed to move cars before year end. :-) Timing is key
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
don't test drive a 2SS until you are ready to buy.. because you won't want to get out of it.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
ttexxan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I know that car...I live in NRH right down the street from that dealer...See the guys at Bankston they work good deals. I got my 2SS orange RS last week. Part of me wish I would have gone manual but know I would have gotten tired of shifting in the traffic around this area. In reality the V8 Auto is plenty fast for sure!! Problem with this area is where can you really get it up and going without the cops patrolling. You wont regret the 2SS for sure....
ttexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
I just emailed Cars.com for you too! Dealers like this should be banned from using sites like that to promote their fraud! It would be a good Idea for all you guys to go to that page, copy the URL, then click the contact us link at the bottom of the page. Post the link and tell them about the fraud! It couldn't hurt anyone but could save some poor sap from getting screwed.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Mark A Collier Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
don't test drive a 2SS until you are ready to buy.. because you won't want to get out of it.
!
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Mark A Collier Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
Mosher

Drives: 1LT Cruze Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post

Put it this way, I didn't get to test drive one and I am glad actually cause after driving mine I can't fathom having to let them have it back!
Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
Kalenn
Fan of all things Camaro

Drives: '13 Mercedes-Benz C250 Sport
I wonder what a Carfax report would come up with?

That's definitely a 1LT in the picture because of the fog lights. Unless they added those too. They added: Badging, wheels, spoiler. They missed: HID's, roof ditch moldings.

"E for electricity... V For Chevy Volt and me!"
Kalenn is offline   Reply With Quote