Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
jordan 572

Drives: none
Pfadt trailing arms

I am looking at getting rid of my wheel hop. I want the pfadt rear trailing arms. Will the bushings that come with these effect the ride a lot? I am also looking at getting toe rods. I believe pfadt calls them rear tie rods though. Is this the same as a toe rod. I am iffy on these as they are adjustable, this car is a dd so I am wondering if the adjustable ones are right for me as I don't need any tweaking and the fixed ones are already the correct length. Are adjustables bad if you dont race? I really want to keep to the same brand.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
CamaroSS8491

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS-3
I have the trailing arms and really like them. Mine is also a DD as well. I also have the lowering springs, subframe bushings, and front and rear sway bars and it has totally changed my driving experience. Something you might be intrested in doing later on down the road. As far as your other question Im not sure maybe one of the other guys/gals can answer that for you.
CamaroSS8491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
TCao

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, 2007 FJC
The polyurethane bushings that come with the PFADT rear lower trailing arms are harder (higher durometer) than the factory rubber bushings but should not drastically affect the ride quality. The PFADT adjustable race rear tie rods (toe rods) replace the eccentric bolts for toe adjustment with steel plates and rear toe is adjusted by changing the length of the tie rod itself; they use teflon-lined spherical bearings so they will transmit more road noise and harshness than the factory toe rods. Another choice would be to reinforce the factory toe rods by welding on the PFADT control arm stiffeners and replace the factory tie rod bushings with the PFADT tie rod bushings to keep the ride quality as close to factory as possible. Hopefully, PFADT will offer a street version (fixed length) rear toe links soon. HTH
TCao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCao View Post
The polyurethane bushings that come with the PFADT rear lower trailing arms are harder (higher durometer) than the factory rubber bushings but should not drastically affect the ride quality. The PFADT adjustable race rear tie rods (toe rods) replace the eccentric bolts for toe adjustment with steel plates and rear toe is adjusted by changing the length of the tie rod itself; they use teflon-lined spherical bearings so they will transmit more road noise and harshness than the factory toe rods. Another choice would be to reinforce the factory toe rods by welding on the PFADT control arm stiffeners and replace the factory tie rod bushings with the PFADT tie rod bushings to keep the ride quality as close to factory as possible. Hopefully, PFADT will offer a street version (fixed length) rear toe links soon. HTH
Excellent post! The mods you are looking at will not dramatically impact your ride quality, there is always some give and take but Pfadt component have been engineered to improve performance while preserving ride quality. Customers consistently come back and tell us they not only love the performance but can not believe how well the car rides, in some cases even better than stock. If I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
jordan 572

what is another good brand? Does pedders make any fixed toe rods? I know BMR does. Are those any good?

Last edited by jordan 572; 09-08-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
I just had the Pfadt trailing arms, front and rear sways with end links and lowering springs installed. I got an awesome stance ad it handles like it is on rails.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
what is another good brand? Does pedders make any fixed toe rods? I know BMR does. Are those any good?
The BMR Trailing Arms were the first ones released to the market. We started making them in 2008 when the Pontiac G8 was first released. Now there are more BMR Trailing Arms out there than any other version. We make 2 different products - one with polyurethane bushings and one with spherical bearings. The spherical bearing version has better articulation and less bind, but it makes more NVH (noise, vibration, and harmonics). It is also more expensive.

We offer 3 different Toe Rods - A non-adjustable polyurethane version (our most popular), an adjustable polyurethane version, and an adjustable rod end version. The rod end version has better articulation and less bind, but it it has more NVH and more $$$.

Hopefully, some of our customers will chime in........

Camaro 5 does not allow us to discuss pricing, so check out our website if you have time: BMR
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
I am looking at getting rid of my wheel hop. I want the pfadt rear trailing arms. Will the bushings that come with these effect the ride a lot? I am also looking at getting toe rods. I believe pfadt calls them rear tie rods though. Is this the same as a toe rod. I am iffy on these as they are adjustable, this car is a dd so I am wondering if the adjustable ones are right for me as I don't need any tweaking and the fixed ones are already the correct length. Are adjustables bad if you dont race? I really want to keep to the same brand.
jordan 572, looks like people have already posted up with a bunch of good information. Just so we are on the same page, we have a LOT of customers using these arms to eradicate the wheel hop you speak of. A bunch of people also use them in conjunction with the solid rear subframe bushings as well, to completely limit unnecessary rear end movement.

In regards to the toe rods/tie rods, as TCao stated, we have two options. The adjustable ones are the high-end option, as they are lighter, stronger, adjustable, and have virtually zero-deflection in them, due to the high-strength rod ends used in the assembly. Honestly though, I do not think this product is mandatory for your application. It sounds like you are looking for something a little more basic, with less features.

For that, we have the most cost-effective solution, which is a control arm stiffener, or tie-rod stiffener etc. used in conjunction with a poly replacement bushing kit. This is essentially doing exactly what the Pfadt rear trailing arm upgrade does. It is strengthening the link tremendously, and limiting the deflection in the bushings themselves, by changing the material properties. The major benefit of this, is that it is very in-expensive, as you are still utilizing your OEM toe rod.

In the end, this will be making the OEM toe rod, perform just like the Pfadt Trailing Arm.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
jordan 572

Is the rear tie road from pfadt the same as a toe road? I know what trailing arm I want but need to know what toe road to put in. I am a DD. Do I want adjustable?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
jordan 572, I responded to your PM as well, but its good to clarify here.

Yes the tie rod and toe rod are the same thing. For your application, I do not think it is mandatory to install an adjustable tie rod. The adjustable tie rod has many benefits besides adjustability, mainly it is a LOT stronger and a LOT lighter. It is always a great idea to install parts that are lighter and stronger. For your application, the Tie Rod Stiffener and poly Tie Rod Bushings will be what you are looking for. Even these parts are much stronger, and are even LIGHTER overall than the OEM piece. Our trailing arm is 300% stronger in tension and compression, has a 65% reduction in deflection and carries a 20% weight reduction each, including bushings (take a look at the comparison pictures!).

So as you can see, we follow the same trends of making parts that not only perform better, but are lighter and stronger when applicable. Any option you go with, you get those benefits.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote