Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #43
James4086

Drives: Black 2017 ZL1
Wow, almost a month since my last post, and the situation hasn't changed much...

Can anyone put me in contact with someone who can program a BCM with my car's VIN number, but also tell it to think it is a manual transmission?

The origional setting was an A6 transmission, but in order to make the 4L80-e work, we needed to make it think that a manual trans. is installed. They tried swapping the VIN in the computer with a manual camaro's vin, but that set off some security codes, and could lead to problems when I get it inspected. (dash plate sees one number, computer plugin sees another)

If I can get the BCM, can someone put my VIN in it and get it to think that it is a manual?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #44
James4086

Drives: Black 2017 ZL1
OK, to anyone who has been following my build, or is interested in doing this for themselves:

My Camaro was automatic and the computer set-ups were incompatible with the 4l80-e swap... Basically, you need to swap the computer's VIN number (which will present problems in the event of a wreck or inspection when they scan the plate and find that it doesn't match the program), tear out the @&Y^ useless &@*#& pieces of #^*@ computers that are unnecessary for the car to run (which will make you non-street-legal), or you just need to start with a manual Camaro to make this work.

That being said, I ended up with another stock transmission (which will probably break in 4-6 months, but that's ok because it is back under warranty and they will have to fix it for free... again and again and again until I swap to a new model). So I have a Jakes Performance 4L80-e transmission with absolutely no miles on it, and the driveshaft, and probably most of what you need to install it, up for sale.

PM me with contact info, I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can.

The transmission is "rated and warranteed for up to 750 horsepower"... I don't know if the warrantee will carry over... probably not... but I don't know.

I live in Louisiana, so if you are out-of-state and interested in buying, we will work something out in terms of shipping or pick up. (I'd prefer if it were picked up.)

The torque converter is set-up for drivability, and the driveshaft (from the driveshaftshop.com) is still in the box and has not been opened.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #45
1stGM

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS M6
Bump up for a great thread. I just used this DIY for my 4l80 swap this past weekend and a lot of the info here made the swap a breeze!!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #46
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
nice thread good write up for future use!
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #47
turbostang7

Drives: 2012 45th 2ss
This thread is awesome! I will definetly be using this in the future

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
turbostang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #48
BlakeH827

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by James4086 View Post
OK, to anyone who has been following my build, or is interested in doing this for themselves:

My Camaro was automatic and the computer set-ups were incompatible with the 4l80-e swap... Basically, you need to swap the computer's VIN number (which will present problems in the event of a wreck or inspection when they scan the plate and find that it doesn't match the program), tear out the @&Y^ useless &@*#& pieces of #^*@ computers that are unnecessary for the car to run (which will make you non-street-legal), or you just need to start with a manual Camaro to make this work.

That being said, I ended up with another stock transmission (which will probably break in 4-6 months, but that's ok because it is back under warranty and they will have to fix it for free... again and again and again until I swap to a new model). So I have a Jakes Performance 4L80-e transmission with absolutely no miles on it, and the driveshaft, and probably most of what you need to install it, up for sale.

PM me with contact info, I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can.

The transmission is "rated and warranteed for up to 750 horsepower"... I don't know if the warrantee will carry over... probably not... but I don't know.

I live in Louisiana, so if you are out-of-state and interested in buying, we will work something out in terms of shipping or pick up. (I'd prefer if it were picked up.)

The torque converter is set-up for drivability, and the driveshaft (from the driveshaftshop.com) is still in the box and has not been opened.
Hi I'd like to do this swap as well. I also have the A6 6l80. I live in Oklahoma and we don't have inspections here. Did the security codes effect the ability to remote start or unlock the car? And can they be cleared out?
BlakeH827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #49
Clinc

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I just did my swap tonight. (all the hard parts). Coming from an A6. Have a guy coming tommorow to flash in the M6 vin. He's not sure if he can disable the clutch pedal switch with the gm tech2. Anyone know if that possible? Or what I would need to do?
Clinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #50
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
It's in the systems setting menu in HPTuners to disable. Not sure if the Tech II can do it, but I don't see why not. You don't need an M6 VIN, you need an M6 tune file with your car's VIN to match your BCM. I took a screenshot for you, you'll have to perform a write entire for this change.
Attached Images

429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #51
Clinc

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ok thanks for that insight. The m6 vin didn't work. The guy said it was still reading my a6 tranny. And when I unplug the a6 the Tech2 (vci) quits reading the car. So I just took apart my a6 and removed the computer. Got it zip tied under the car till I figure out something else.. Lol

So I can just have my tuner flash in a m6 tune from a car he has done in the past and just delete the interlock using the write entire? Wow that sounds too easy.

Driving the car wit the new tranny and ratchet shifter is a blast. To bad the tranny is already slipping.
Clinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #52
SPADEKREATIONS
spadekreations.com

Drives: 2010 camaro ss,2008 3500 HD
Send a message via AIM to SPADEKREATIONS
Sorry to bring this older thread back up.

What is everyone doing when converting from the m6 to the 4l80e for the pedal assembly ?

Do you have to swap the whole pedal assembly? Does anyone have the part numbers for this?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #53
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I didn't swap anything, just unbolted/removed the clutch pedal. I suppose you could swap in the fat auto brake if you were so inclined
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #54
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
i actually bght the auto assy for around 40.00..but realizing it was easier to take the cutting wheel and cutting the small brake pedal off ..and remove the clutch pedal..i then curt the new auto brake pedal{ much larger then the m6 brake pedal..i offset it slightly to give my gas ft more room , then welded it on the brake arm...looks like nothin missing and looks like a real auto brake...could probably cut a similar one off a junkyard car..and use..
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #55
pecoz97

Drives: 92 camaro
I have just finished up doing this convertion very helpful information on here thank you guys but I didn't like how the crossmember was done so the chassis fabricator in me came out and I made a chromemoly unit with a nhra legal drveshaft loop built in if any one is interested in one of these shoot me a pm I built a couple and had them powdercoated so they are ready to ship thanks again Chris

Last edited by pecoz97; 03-24-2013 at 07:11 PM.
pecoz97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #56
pecoz97

Drives: 92 camaro
Here is a pic of it
Attached Images

pecoz97 is offline   Reply With Quote