Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #43
benrubsih

Drives: 2010 SS-2 RS, 68 camaro 350
I appreciated the last post. It was very informative and you obviously took your time writing it. The theory seems sound, I have spent way more time crunching numbers on my classic hot rods to get them to go supersonic I guess I was overestimating the aerodynamic prowess of the new Camaro. I didn't realize it had that amount of drag, it definitely doesn't feel like it compared to my 68 Camaro or Firebird. So I will still swap out my final gear if they have new ones available yet. And then I suppose step two will be the supercharger. I know they have quite a few available at the present. Run of the mill bumps you up to 500-650HP. I need to wait until I have an extra 6-9K to spend on that. But in the meantime I will still find out what the .5 final gear will do. If a challenger can run it up then I am sure the Camaro can as well.

I wanna go fast momma!
benrubsih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #44
benrubsih

Thread troll!

I wanna go fast momma!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #45
benrubsih

Quoted from thread in Swytch's post A super aerodynamic Bonneville racer might only need 100 hp to go 200 mph. On the other hand, a semi would need more than 4000. For normal cars, it will be between about 400 and 550 hp. And these are power numbers at the wheel, at that speed. You can't even use peak wheel hp. Power changes with rpms so while a car may peak at 500 rwhp @6000 rpm, odds are it won't be turning 6000 rpm @200 mph. For example, a manual Camaro SS would be turning 4620 rpm with the stock gearing and tire size. So you will need more peak power then you thought, in the case of the Camaro about 650 rwhp @5900 rpm

So with a higher gearing your RPM's would be lower to hit 200. And yes I realize that it takes more torque to turn a higher gear... This guy is talking HP which I see a lot in car talk. But when you are talking about top end speeds vs. acceleration torque is the important value. I know they are similar in nature and most people think of them the same. But at peak rpms the two differ quite a bit.

I wanna go fast momma!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #46
Swytch

Drives: 10 2SS/RS Black, 99 Daktota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Nice, now we just need to get that added to the Smilies list
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Swytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #47
benrubsih

Lol, and by the way I completely made up everything I said in the post above. You see how easy it is to get bad info from the internet?

I wanna go fast momma!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #48
Swytch

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrubsih View Post
Quoted from thread in Swytch's post A super aerodynamic Bonneville racer might only need 100 hp to go 200 mph. On the other hand, a semi would need more than 4000. For normal cars, it will be between about 400 and 550 hp. And these are power numbers at the wheel, at that speed. You can't even use peak wheel hp. Power changes with rpms so while a car may peak at 500 rwhp @6000 rpm, odds are it won't be turning 6000 rpm @200 mph. For example, a manual Camaro SS would be turning 4620 rpm with the stock gearing and tire size. So you will need more peak power then you thought, in the case of the Camaro about 650 rwhp @5900 rpm

So with a higher gearing your RPM's would be lower to hit 200. And yes I realize that it takes more torque to turn a higher gear... This guy is talking HP which I see a lot in car talk. But when you are talking about top end speeds vs. acceleration torque is the important value. I know they are similar in nature and most people think of them the same. But at peak rpms the two differ quite a bit.
Again, by no means an expert, but changing the gearing in such a way that lowers RPM @ your target speed (200mph here) is going to move you FURTHER out of the power-band of the LS3 from what I understand. Basically you need to figure out given a tire size and a gear ratio, what RPM you will be at for a given max speed. Then getting to that max speed means either tweak the tire size/gear ratio or adding power to widen the power band so at that RPM you are putting out the correct amount of HP/TQ.
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #49
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
does that mean all it would take on the LS would be a set of speed rated tires and a reprogram of the computer speed limiter and it will be able to reach that speed??? WOW...
Yep. I had my v6 up to 157. Slight slight hill.
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #50
Swytch

Quote:
Lol, and by the way I completely made up everything I said in the post above. You see how easy it is to get bad info from the internet?
Dammit did i just feed a troll... shame on me..

:troll:

Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #51
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swytch View Post
Nice, now we just need to get that added to the Smilies list
this one should do!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #52
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
the testing @ Salt Flats also involved the GT500..180+
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #53
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:

If you aren't going to drive it fast then why buy it? You only live once after all. I live 5 miles from the Bonneville salt flats. A man recently took a stock duplicate of my SS with the governor disabled and hit 172. If anyone has any useful info as to how to disable the governor please share. If you want to complain about the dangers of excessive speed then go buy a Hyundai. By the way what are you talking about being pegged in 5th? I am pretty sure my automatic has 6 gears does the manual only have 5? I wanted a manual but I didn't want to wait on ordering one. Either way that top gear is a monster, I was not even close to red line when I snapped this photo. The torque is definitely there in this car. A little weight balancing of the motor or installing a higher ratio gear is all you would need to break 200. I am pretty sure the torque and H.P are sufficient to pull it off.
Because you must factor in drag. The LLT, L99 and LS3 equipped cars all have either 6-speed manuals or automatics. However, they don't have enough power to push the sixth gear at high speeds. That gear is only there to maximize fuel efficiency. If you were going 170 in fifth and shift to sixth, you would start to lose speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
wow...great bump
Sometimes you just have to beat the dead horse.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #54
benrubsih

You do need more HP to push a higher gear ratio, I totally agree with you. I am just saying I think it might have enough HP to do it how it sits. I do have the 21" tires and all that. Do I know if it will pull it off? nope. Am I willing to try? Hell yeah. I am more likely to actually find out if it can hit 200 than 95% of the people out there. Because I am the type that doesn't chicken out in the high 100's From my experiences almost anyone will let off at 140-160 it just seems to be like a self preservation instinct or something.

I wanna go fast momma!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #55
benrubsih

I am learning a lot this morning from you guys and girls. I appreciate all of the input. But wait, the guy above had his V6 doing 157? If it is true it seems pretty impressive especially going uphill So what gretchen is saying is that the LS3 doesn't have the HP to reach max RPM's in 6th gear. That is interesting, I never would have guessed that.

I wanna go fast momma!