Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #1
RonAndersonJr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Black on Black
Stainless Works or Magnaflow

It's time to pull the trigger and put different exhaust on the SS. I'd like to hear people convince me of either SW or MF.

My dad is a big MF guy, I do like MF but SW has bigger tips and tubes. (Isn't the factory exhaust three inch, or is it 2.5?)
RonAndersonJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
stock is 2.75" SW much cheaper than Magnaflow, both drone though
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I wuld urge you to listen to both. I have heard of drone issues with both. Do you have NPP? If not Corsa or Borla is what Lingenfelter uses....
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Neither if you want to avoid drone!! Yes they are cheaper than the others but you get what you pay for. Cheaper material and thickness. People have received their SW damaged to shitty packaging. I recommend Borla. I have heard it in person and it what I am going with. Good luck on whatever choice you make.

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
RonAndersonJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
I wuld urge you to listen to both. I have heard of drone issues with both. Do you have NPP? If not Corsa or Borla is what Lingenfelter uses....
I do not have NPP. I have heard both, well not so much MF. I haven't heard either one at cruising speed.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
RonAndersonJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
Neither if you want to avoid drone!! Yes they are cheaper than the others but you get what you pay for. Cheaper material and thickness. People have received their SW damaged to shitty packaging. I recommend Borla. I have heard it in person and it what I am going with. Good luck on whatever choice you make.

Thanks.

I used your post on taking my front facia off while putting my lit bow tie on. Thanks for your posts.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
Magnaflow competition is probably the most expensive one lol.. It retails for $2500 for NPP and there isn't much dif between the modes at all. I rode in MF and they do drone but it sounded too artificial and way too boomy. But if you like the sound go for it.. just know it cost the most from what I see. MF is def an interesting exhaust system that is unique.

I like SW, it's not as deep and doesn't rumble but it's somewhat loud.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
PrestonKnots

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I ordered a Magnaflow system for my '17 1SS, it did not fit. According to the site it would but the kit included only tail pipes and a X pipe, leaving me well short of where the factory exhaust unbolts by the transmission. My car is a 6 speed, idk if the systems are different for auto or manual.
PrestonKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #9
Grey_AF

Drives: 16' Camaro SS Midnight Grey 6spd
From Lethal's videos, it seems the SW system with stock cats can be quite muffled sounding when compared to Borla. The Borla def hits the loud mark and rumbles pretty good cruising around town. I have had nothing but compliments from the S-Type Catback. $1400 out the door from Autoanything, 12% off. I had zero fitment/quality issues during install, the packaging was superb and everything fit together nicely.

To sum it up:
1. Zero drone
2. Deep rumble and growl around town
3. Near Nascar level roar with full throttle application
4. Happy customer
2016 Camaro Midnight Grey Metallic 1SS w/ Grey Split spoke factory wheels, 15% tint all around, Borla S-Type Catback, Skip Shift Eliminator, Mishimoto Catch can, rear decklid blakout, sidemark/tail lamp blackout kit, OEM black bow ties, Premium Grey trim GM floormats, All-weather cargo mat, Radar detector hardwire kit
Grey_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #10
PrestonKnots

Grey_AF thanks that's good to hear, borla was what I've been looking at after my recent disappointment with the Magnaflow.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #11
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonKnots View Post
I ordered a Magnaflow system for my '17 1SS, it did not fit. According to the site it would but the kit included only tail pipes and a X pipe, leaving me well short of where the factory exhaust unbolts by the transmission. My car is a 6 speed, idk if the systems are different for auto or manual.
You have to cut your factory exhaust to make it work...clearly outlined in the instructions
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #12
PrestonKnots

I never opened the instructions, I am not hacking my factory exhaust up to install their system when there are others that bolt up the way a $1500 system should.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
RonAndersonJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonKnots View Post
I never opened the instructions, I am not hacking my factory exhaust up to install their system when there are others that bolt up the way a $1500 system should.

I have to agree with Hank on this one. Instructions are there for a reason!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #14
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Magnaflow competition is probably the most expensive one lol.. It retails for $2500 for NPP and there isn't much dif between the modes at all. I rode in MF and they do drone but it sounded too artificial and way too boomy. But if you like the sound go for it.. just know it cost the most from what I see. MF is def an interesting exhaust system that is unique.

I like SW, it's not as deep and doesn't rumble but it's somewhat loud.
I guess the MF is the same price as the Borla cat back with x-pipe and NPP Atak exhaust. I have not heard it in person but have heard the videos and to me it does not even come close to the Borla in sound. Everybody that has went with Borla has stated there is no drone what so ever and when I heard it in person at SuperFest this year on Lingenfelter's Gen 6 and I was blown away by the deep tone and rumble.

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote