Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #29
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
Here is the link to our current Camaro5 special brake promotion. The new J-Hooks will get a promotion of their own!!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72700

As for anything having to do with brakes, even I defer to Chris
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #30
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
damn man how quick do you want to stop.
mine I almost have to pull my teeth out of the dash when I nail the brakes
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #31
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
damn man how quick do you want to stop.
mine I almost have to pull my teeth out of the dash when I nail the brakes
We like that! But we also like to make sure it can happen over and over and over with the same results. No sense investing money into a car if it does not instill 100% full confidence in all situations. The OE's just don't have the available budget to make that happen on any car that sells for less for $100k or so.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #32
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
Maybe we are misunderstanding each other?
Were you referring to something different?

Chris
People lives depend on brakes. All rotors are not created equal. A rotor like those found on the ZR1 were designed from conception to have holes or slots or whatever in them. They are manufactured for high heat use with the holes or slots or both. When you use them as designed they do not fail. They are as close to bullet proof as possible. You can use them as though your life depends on it and it does.

Blank rotors bought from who knows where and machined to look cool do not fit in the same paragraph or sentence as ZR1 rotors. They are smooth finish rotors that some one machined. They were NOT designed to be machined or maybe they were but how do you know? Were they treated properly in the manufacturing process to relive the stress created in the machining? Who knows.

Rotors are no different than any other metal. Companies cold bend sway bars and stop right there. They do not normalize the bar. They do not heat treat the bar they just bend them and ship them. So what? the chances of them breaking where they are stressed are minimal so we'll skip that step.

Anyone that buys a rotor that is NOT an OE rotor should exercise great care in the selection process. The should get confirmation that the rotor they choose is suitable for the way they intend to use it.

I have never met a racer who was in the midst of going off track that thought -- MAN AM I GLAD I BOUGHT THIS SUPER CHEAP HELMET FROM AN UNKOWN SELLER ON EBAY.

You buy the absolute BEST helmet you can afford. You buy the absolute BEST tires you can afford. You should buy the BEST rotors and pads you can afford. Your life depends on it. With brake rotors I'll say again what I said before -- leave the cross drilled for the show circuit unless they are extremely high quality as you would find on a ZR1 or true exotic where the holes or slots have been part of the original manufacturing process.

You know as well as I do exactly what I am talking about. I'll not name brands, but all rotors plain, slotted and or cross drilled rotors are not remotely the same in quality or in use. For my drivers safety, my family's safety and my safety, I'll take the OE rotor that has been extensively tested and validated over a bargain brand every time.

Would I ever use an aftermarket rotor? The answer would be yes, but I am VERY selective. I personally know the Joseph family at DBA and have used their rotors. I have used StopTech rotors. I have used what I'll refer to as premium brand-xes and will never use them again. Why? failures after three laps from warping into unstable, cracked after one ten lap session and I could go on.

There is no need to respond or turn this into a debate. I make NO money from any brake company. I have my opinion and you have yours. They seem to be different. There should be no hard feelings.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #33
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
People lives depend on brakes. All rotors are not created equal. A rotor like those found on the ZR1 were designed from conception to have holes or slots or whatever in them. They are manufactured for high heat use with the holes or slots or both. When you use them as designed they do not fail. They are as close to bullet proof as possible. You can use them as though your life depends on it and it does.

Blank rotors bought from who knows where and machined to look cool do not fit in the same paragraph or sentence as ZR1 rotors. They are smooth finish rotors that some one machined. They were NOT designed to be machined or maybe they were but how do you know? Were they treated properly in the manufacturing process to relive the stress created in the machining? Who knows.

Rotors are no different than any other metal. Companies cold bend sway bars and stop right there. They do not normalize the bar. They do not heat treat the bar they just bend them and ship them. So what? the chances of them breaking where they are stressed are minimal so we'll skip that step.

Anyone that buys a rotor that is NOT an OE rotor should exercise great care in the selection process. The should get confirmation that the rotor they choose is suitable for the way they intend to use it.

I have never met a racer who was in the midst of going off track that thought -- MAN AM I GLAD I BOUGHT THIS SUPER CHEAP HELMET FROM AN UNKOWN SELLER ON EBAY.

You buy the absolute BEST helmet you can afford. You buy the absolute BEST tires you can afford. You should buy the BEST rotors and pads you can afford. Your life depends on it. With brake rotors I'll say again what I said before -- leave the cross drilled for the show circuit unless they are extremely high quality as you would find on a ZR1 or true exotic where the holes or slots have been part of the original manufacturing process.

You know as well as I do exactly what I am talking about. I'll not name brands, but all rotors plain, slotted and or cross drilled rotors are not remotely the same in quality or in use. For my drivers safety, my family's safety and my safety, I'll take the OE rotor that has been extensively tested and validated over a bargain brand every time.

Would I ever use an aftermarket rotor? The answer would be yes, but I am VERY selective. I personally know the Joseph family at DBA and have used their rotors. I have used StopTech rotors. I have used what I'll refer to as premium brand-xes and will never use them again. Why? failures after three laps from warping into unstable, cracked after one ten lap session and I could go on.

There is no need to respond or turn this into a debate. I make NO money from any brake company. I have my opinion and you have yours. They seem to be different. There should be no hard feelings.
Actually, we are 99.5% on the same page here. There is a LOT of junk on the market sold by people that haven't the first clue regarding engineering, metallurgy or quality. But they somehow got a jobber account at one of many Chinese rotor distributors and found a machine shop to start drilling away. Most don't even come up with a pattern that makes any sense. Add eBay and PayPal and yer in da rotah bidness!

To be clear, I was confused on the ZR-1 reference, as carbon-ceramic rotors don't fall into this discussion. No conclusion at all can be drawn from those regarding drilling iron rotors. Apples and oranges.

And I 2nd the DBA comment. Stillen brought them to the USA many years ago, and we're proud of that fact. They completely understand how to make a rotor work for its intended application.

If you ever have questions on rotors and their sources, feel free to call if you like. I've tried/bought from/tested almost all of them by now. Many things have changed over the last few years through the slowdown and with mergers/acquisitions. Things that were true some time ago may not be the case today.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #34
JusticePete

We are cool.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #35
Team STILLEN

Just trying to make sure you are not "implying" that our STILLEN rotors fall into your brand-exs

A ton of development and engineering go into our rotors and the slightest imperfection in ANY way at ANY stage of the manufacturing process from the casting, to the machining, balancing, or plating will get turned away and scrapped before it ever even gets boxed up for a customer.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #36
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STILLEN View Post
Just trying to make sure you are not "implying" that our STILLEN rotors fall into your brand-exs
Eric,

I have written this before to you. I don't know you at all, but operate under the assumption you are a good guy. I have never used Stllen. If I had a bad experience with Stillen I would not use the Stillen brand name publicly. That is why I use a generic brand-x so as not to offend anyone. Each manufacturer is responsible to promote and sell to the strengths of their own products. As I said before, I have no financial interest in ANY brake company, but I do have a an interest in keeping the community safe.

That said, your base ball bat is out of place. It indicates you want to fight. I never bring a baseball bat or knife to a fight. I bring, according to some on this forum, . That said, I try at all costs to AVOID picking a fight, but will not back down. You brought out your baseball bat and I am trying my best to remain polite. Your post conveys to the forum you lack confidence in your product. I am certain that is not what you intended when you wrote it.

I suggest you take the high road and detail your manufacturing process and identify your product strengths within the context of the thread and for the benefit of the community. I am sure you have a great story to tell.

By all means tell your story and sell your product. When you do so, as a matter of common courtesy, leave me out of it.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #37
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
So cute everyone is Fighting this morning all over the forum...

Anyway.. is there a 2 piece replacement for stock rotors?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #38
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
So cute everyone is Fighting this morning all over the forum...

Anyway.. is there a 2 piece replacement for stock rotors?
DBA 5000 series rotors, but i believe they only have the fronts only... would love to know if they will be making a 2 piece rear rotor!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #39
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
no plans an a 2 piece rear, the 4000 1 piece is sufficient for the rear.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #40
Team STILLEN

SERIOUSLY?!?!?! Why is it that the Pedders guys need to step in and cause S#!t?!?!?

This is not the first thread you guys
and I know of a few that got removed because you guys always seem to step in and cause uneeded drama by your subtle innuendo. I seriously want to just

Other tuners, suspension manufacturers, and wholesalers find your "holier than thou" attitude a bit tiresome to say the least. If you want to step in a show off your big "guns" go for it.

But I am seriously going to find a way to just have you
perma-

Last edited by Team STILLEN; 08-05-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #41
Camaro427

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
Camaro427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #42
Team STILLEN