Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
HOW TO WIRE REAR SEAT FOOTWELL LIGHTING

hello, i decided to add some footwell lighting to my rear seats. now this write up is assuming you have already done you front footwell lighting ( i know, what happens when we assume?) lol,
ok, if you did your footwell lighting by the instructions found in this thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54183
then you probably have your footwell lighting coming on with your dome lights. if that the case you would just tap into the wire that you already have going to your front footwell lights. once you tap into it, you would run the wire along the side panel all the way to the back seat. i would pop out the back seat, its very easy, just get you hands under the front of the back seat and lift up and then reach into the rear of the seat, about centered where you sit and push down on the bracket and the seat pops right out. run your power wire with the existing harness to the front center of the back seat. see pics, now i took a self tapping screw with a little silicon and connected a ground wire. so now we have power and ground at the front center of the rear seat. i then took the red led that i purchase from autozone and used some 60 second 2 part epoxy and secured them to the front of the rear seats, see pics. I then connected the 2 red wires from the light to the power wire and the 2 black wire to the ground wire. There you go. ohh, it probably a good idea to disconnect you battery while doing this.
now i have my footwell lights connected to a switch and not the dome light wire, so all i did is tap into the wire out of the switch that goes to my front footwell lights. hope this helps, i love it

if you need some pics, please let me know, i'll do what i can.

lupe
Attached Images

overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Very nice!!! I love it sir!! Thank you for sharing.

We have the new ABL flexible kits packaged in the Vendors section now as well. I think this might be our next mod on The Sizzle sir. They are so easy to work with.

Thanks.
Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
13lade

Drives: '11 SIM 2ss/rs LS3 #13363 iom seats
Nice work man... I put in rear seat footwell lights in a totally different way. Your method is inventive, and I like it!
13lade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lade View Post
Nice work man... I put in rear seat footwell lights in a totally different way. Your method is inventive, and I like it!
i guess there are many ways to skin a cat thx for looking

Lupe
Old 10-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
camarorick

Drives: .
Very nice, easy, cheap mod.... I really like it ... I'll add this to my mod list
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Great write up! I've been toting with this idea for some time now. Question though, did you run the (+) wire underneath the carpet? I got that you run it alongside the center console and all. Just curios to how you made the jump to the back seats.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Great write up! I've been toting with this idea for some time now. Question though, did you run the (+) wire underneath the carpet? I got that you run it alongside the center console and all. Just curios to how you made the jump to the back seats.
hi, actually i ran it along the driver side between the door sill and driver seat, just snap up the molding, there is a harness that runs there already then came in front of the rear seat, if you look closely you can see a harness right at the edge of the carpet and where the rear seat meets.

lupe.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
The Stig

Awesome thanks, and you just t-tapped into the front footwells (+) wire right.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
overhaulengines

Quote:
Awesome thanks, and you just t-tapped into the front footwells (+) wire right.
correct, if your footwell light are connected to the dome light wire, just tap into that same wire, if they go through a switch, then the wire that comes out of the switch and go to the front footwell lights, tap into that one, so when you turn of the front lights the rear will also come on. just posted some pics

lupe
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
cybercamaro
Cybergrey

Drives: Cyber Grey
Send a message via Yahoo to cybercamaro
Thanks man. This is my next mod once my leather seats get finished. Getting custom white seats with a dark grey top stitch.
cybercamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
Oooh, that looks nice! I am getting ready to do front footwells, I might have to do rears at the same time. Thanks for the write-up!

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
C4
ERNEST

Drives: 2012CAMARO 1LT RS CONVERTIBLE
damn .... now that looks bad azz....
looks like i have new best friend...

can wait to see your ride....
C4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
The Stig

Just wired them in now. Was a really easy install. Just electric taped the negative down to center bolt under the seat. Though I realized afterwards that I can't remove the back seat without ripping the wiring all up :( I'll be sure to grab some pictures once it gets dark out. Now I'm off to do some claying.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
overhaulengines

Quote:
Just wired them in now. Was a really easy install. Just electric taped the negative down to center bolt under the seat. Though I realized afterwards that I can't remove the back seat without ripping the wiring all up :( I'll be sure to grab some pictures once it gets dark out. Now I'm off to do some claying.
kool, happy it worked for u, it's not that hard if u already have the front lighting done already. plz post sum pics

Lupe