Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #15
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheGloves View Post
Like I said before, performance wise, CTS-V. I highly doubt the Z/28 will have over 550hp. I see more around 450-500hp range at most.

Exterior and interior, it's your personal opinion.

If the Z/28 has around 500-550hp, then it will cost near 50-55k. I'd bet.
you might be surprised then...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #16
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
you might be surprised then...
Well, the reason why I doubt it, is because Chevy already has the ZR1. That is rated at what? 650hp? I seriously doubt that they would want to have a car close in hp.

I am sticking to the 450-500hp range. I would say probably 475hp just because it's in the middle.
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:41 PM   #17
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Well, the reason why I doubt it, is because Chevy already has the ZR1. That is rated at what? 650hp? I seriously doubt that they would want to have a car close in hp.

I am sticking to the 450-500hp range. I would say probably 475hp just because it's in the middle.
I can't fault your logic.

I'm just sayin....
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #18
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

But performance wise ... hmm. Depends how much they change the SS when making the Z28 and if the output from the LSA is the same as in the CTS-V. If GM goes cheap, the Z28 will be 4100 lbs with a 530 hp variant of the LSA with moderately better handling. If thats the case, it won't be as fast as the CTC-V (or CTS-V, or possibly the even the GT500)
Why would the Z28 be slower when even at 4100 lbs. it's still 100 lbs. lighter than the CTS-V?

I would imagine the Z28 would be faster in a straight line and maybe a road course but the CTC-V will be a much better car components and materials wise.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #19
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
I'll actually agree with DropTheGloves on saying they probably won't make it perform better than the CTS-V, considering it shouldn't given the huge price difference. But I really have nothing to justify that statement considering I don't really have an example of two cars in the same situation as the Z/28 and CTS-V are going to be in.
Now that I think about... There are a couple of cars that fit that example lol. The most obvious being the LS3 in the Corvette and the Camaro. ( to myself for forgetting that...)

The CTS-V packs 556 hp compared to the ZR1's 638 hp. Plus the ZR1 is over $40,000 more than the CTS-V, mostly because of the fact the ZR1 is made for performance conditions. That approximate 100 HP difference, similar to difference of a V6 and V8 Camaro. Also the V8 LS3 is rated at 426 compared to the Vette 436 (Correct me If I'm wrong, I think it is that number.)... and they don't seem to have a problem competing with each other. Actually now that I think about it I see no reason for Chevrolet not to have a 530+ hp Z/28.

Basically I doubt the Z/28 will impose on the CTS-V/CTC-V's target market. The Cadillac is still a luxury oriented car, while the Z/28 will focus more on the performance side of the equation.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #20
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
Why would the Z28 be slower when even at 4100 lbs. it's still 100 lbs. lighter than the CTS-V?

I would imagine the Z28 would be faster in a straight line and maybe a road course but the CTC-V will be a much better car components and materials wise.
Because if they de-tune the engine and don't give it things like a kickass suspension or aggressive its not going to do 0-60 in under 4 seconds.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #21
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by david068513 View Post
I see the cts-v coupe will be coming out around the same time. What do you think will be the better car? They should be around the same price. Same motor and trans. Which car do you think will be better and why?

Old 12-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #22
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
Quote:

i take it your estimating crank horsepower for the cars seeing as you said the zr1 has 650(638 actual). i just don't see chevy creating a gt500 fighting camaro with a 475 horsepower power plant. correct me if i'm wrong, but the current gt500 is rated near 540. with the gt500 getting reworked in the coming years i would venture to guess that the z/28 will be equipped with one of the higher end LSA or LS9 engines detuned accordingly. at the high end of your guess, strictly looking at horsepower, the z/28 would look like a dud on paper compared to the current gt500

also, camaros have shared many engines with the vette throughout the years, slightly detuned of course
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #23
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
What Z28 lol? The Z28 that MIGHT come into production?? Yeah, those cars are sweet. Heck of alot more proof that GM is coming out with the CTS-V coupe than there is about them coming out with a Z28. I would think that GM has already made up their mind...coming out with a CTS-V coupe and not a Z28. Writing is on the wall. GM's board of "directors", "government dictators", (whatever you want to call them) cannot afford to come out with a Z28 and a CTS-V coupe, at least not for a while. People will just have a hard time accepting this fact.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 AM   #24
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
What Z28 lol? The Z28 that MIGHT come into production?? Yeah, those cars are sweet. Heck of alot more proof that GM is coming out with the CTS-V coupe than there is about them coming out with a Z28. I would think that GM has already made up their mind...coming out with a CTS-V coupe and not a Z28. Writing is on the wall. GM's board of "directors", "government dictators", (whatever you want to call them) cannot afford to come out with a Z28 and a CTS-V coupe, at least not for a while. People will just have a hard time accepting this fact.
... you're a buzzkill mayne.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #25
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
You know honestly im starting to think it wouldnt be a big stretch for GM to put the LS9 in the new Z/28. I mean yeah they have always been on their high-horse about the Corvette being the best but dont forget they have offered Camaro's before with top of the line Corvette engines so we know it isnt unreasonable. Plus you know the Camaro's would be 10-20 less horsepower (just like the LS3s) and on top of that the Corvette would still be a hell of a lot lighter and be a more balanced car. Also if i were a big time GM executive thinking about this id say to myself "well hell aftermarket companies are just going to do it to our cars anyways so why not make it our own and let us put that staple in history instead of some aftermarket garage" And we've seen that before in the COPOs
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #26
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

The problem would be cost. Figure at least an extra $6k over the LSA. It would make it impossible to offer a Z28 for around 50 grand, 60 would be much more likely.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #27
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The problem would be cost. Figure at least an extra $6k over the LSA. It would make it impossible to offer a Z28 for around 50 grand, 60 would be much more likely.
Hm, maybe, those are retail prices though i have no idea what the cost difference is to build either of the engines so i think thats what it would come down to, also they could try to balance the price by cutting other costly luxury options, i think they could probly keep it at $50k...what they should do though is give the customer free-reign on what they want since people are so torn between these three engines, say for $50k you can get either an LSA or LS7, then there could be the extra 1LE package for maybe $55k or $58k that includes the LS9, that'd be pretty awsome in my oppinion haha
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Hm, maybe, those are retail prices though i have no idea what the cost difference is to build either of the engines so i think thats what it would come down to, also they could try to balance the price by cutting other costly luxury options, i think they could probly keep it at $50k...what they should do though is give the customer free-reign on what they want since people are so torn between these three engines, say for $50k you can get either an LSA or LS7, then there could be the extra 1LE package for maybe $55k or $58k that includes the LS9, that'd be pretty awsome in my oppinion haha
choice = expensive

Camaro Fest sub-forum