Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Jyrine

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Post Wanting to Twin Turbo, Found a Kit....MIGHT be too good to be true.

Alright C5, I'm looking into a twin turbo kit for my 11' SS and I've come across QUITE the steal.

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...twin-turbo.htm

Apparently, this company for the low price (seems low to me) of $8999, will send you a complete Twin turbo kit, capable of producing up to 1000hp on pump gas.

Alright, so what's the catch I'm stuck up on? It claims its BOLT ON with, get this, NO need to change the stock internals.

Now unless I'm missing something, the only thing I know that can actually be bolted on is the E-Force supercharger, and even those can cause little issues. I mean I know the LSX family is built EXTREMELY well...But 1000hp on pump gas and stock internals?

Is this too good to be true? does anyone have experience with them? Am I asking too many questions?

And I'll ask now since I think I know how this TT kit is going to end up, does anyone here know of a site where I can order a really good TT kit? Doesn't need insane HP and TQ seeing as I REALLY don't want to change stock internals. And I mean REALLY don't want too.

Once again, thank you in advance for the help I'm sure you'll provide.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
I'd stay away from TTs unless you have a shop to install and do all the other stuff.

Your internals won't handle that much power. Internals are different in all cars but I think a good stopping point is 650rwhp, or about 10psi. Anything over that and you're really risking it.

1000HP crank is about 800ish rwhp. You're going to need about 30-40k to get there. (Suspension, transmission, forged internals, cam, just about everything). Probably more to be honest. I have about 630rwhp before my next upgrades and have spent about....$24-25,000.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrine View Post
Alright C5, I'm looking into a twin turbo kit for my 11' SS and I've come across QUITE the steal.

Apparently, this company for the low price (seems low to me) of $8999, will send you a complete Twin turbo kit, capable of producing up to 1000hp on pump gas.

Alright, so what's the catch I'm stuck up on? It claims its BOLT ON with, get this, NO need to change the stock internals.

Now unless I'm missing something, the only thing I know that can actually be bolted on is the E-Force supercharger, and even those can cause little issues. I mean I know the LSX family is built EXTREMELY well...But 1000hp on pump gas and stock internals?

Is this too good to be true? does anyone have experience with them? Am I asking too many questions?

And I'll ask now since I think I know how this TT kit is going to end up, does anyone here know of a site where I can order a really good TT kit? Doesn't need insane HP and TQ seeing as I REALLY don't want to change stock internals. And I mean REALLY don't want too.

They make a good kit. A few people on here have that kit... nothing magic about the kit it will blow the motor just the same as the supercharger..... If you want twin turbo than its a pretty good kit.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Almost all the supercharger kits are bolt and come with all that you need with very little issues. Some turbo kits out there that claim bolt on but I have yet to see one come out truoble free.
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
uniqueskillz

Drives: ETMC built 700+hp Twin Turbo LS3
IPS makes a good TT kit. Its a few people on the forum with it. You'll have to keep the boost within reason (I wouldn't go over 650hp) on stock motor.

Kit Details: http://ipsmotorsports.net/ips_motors...t/g-65338.aspx

I just installed the TTI/Granatelli twin turbo kit. I believe the baseline numbers on a LS3 @ 8psi makes 615wrhp/613lbs torq.
uniqueskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
Jyrine

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
They make a good kit. A few people on here have that kit... nothing magic about the kit it will blow the motor just the same as the supercharger..... If you want twin turbo than its a pretty good kit.

Are....are you saying there numbers are real?

I knew the 1000hp thing would quickly blow on stock internals.
But the 663rwhp and 649 ft/lbs of torque reported numbers ACTUALLY work on the stock motor?! Just Bolt on?!!
Mind you I've never really dove into Turbo tech.

I shoulds add I have no intention of producing even that much power, I was just looking for about 100hp/100tq over stock to the wheels.....And I know some people say go for superchargers but I'd much rathre go Twin Turbo.

Last edited by Jyrine; 07-22-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Needed to clarify
Jyrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Are....are you saying there numbers are real?

I knew the 1000hp thing would quickly blow on stock internals.
But the 663rwhp and 649 ft/lbs of torque reported numbers ACTUALLY work on the stock motor?! Just Bolt on?!!
Mind you I've never really dove into Turbo tech.

I shoulds add I have no intention of producing even that much power, I was just looking for about 100hp/100tq over stock to the wheels.....And I know some people say go for superchargers but I'd much rathre go Twin Turbo.
Sure with the right amount of boost or size turbos you can make that power.... yeah twins are pretty cool. I like superchargers also so doesnt really matter to me which way people go. Must people that say dont go turbo have never even owned a turbo car same way with people that say superchargers s**k. Its your money get what makes you happy.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
for 100 more cam/bolt on would be logical step. Much less prone to failure.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Jyrine...

I wouldn't compare kits based on price... There are several companies out there making TT kits and some are reasonably priced, some not so much... I won't go into my personal thoughts here since I would have to ban myself...

That price from a reputable company seems right in line...

One thing, yes, the kit will make that kind of power, but that's at the extreme range... Your block won't handle it... Install a kit like that, run 7-8 lbs of boost and be close to 600 hp and have a ball... Things nay break at stock power levels... Just be prepared if they do...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
east TX Muscle cars

Drives: 2x 05 Vettes/65'AC cobra/68 camaro
All they are saying is the kit "CAN" do 1000hp, not that you should on a stock motor. the TT kit is just like the supercharger. put it at 7 PSI to stay very safe, 9 to push it a little and 10-11 to push the limits of the motor. we just installed "uniqueskillz" kit he was talking about and are going to start selling them and installing them. I was very impressed with the results and how well the kit was made. for a Good TT kit your going to spend a MINIMUM of 10K installed.
east TX Muscle cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
uniqueskillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by east TX Muscle cars View Post
All they are saying is the kit "CAN" do 1000hp, not that you should on a stock motor. the TT kit is just like the supercharger. put it at 7 PSI to stay very safe, 9 to push it a little and 10-11 to push the limits of the motor. we just installed "uniqueskillz" kit he was talking about and are going to start selling them and installing them. I was very impressed with the results and how well the kit was made. for a Good TT kit your going to spend a MINIMUM of 10K installed.

The beast is running flawless by the way Stephen...lol
Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Like everyone has said, you won't be making 1000hp with the stock block. And the turbos might handle that much boost, but at absolute perfect conditions.

I have the IPS kit and love it, no issues with the turbo system I'n 20k miles. I've also seen and heard good things about the granarelli TT kit.

At some point your going to want to add a little more boost, a little more, and a little more until you have to decide if you are going to forge your motor. Once you go forged, your options are limitless with a TT setup!
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
uniqueskillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
Like everyone has said, you won't be making 1000hp with the stock block. And the turbos might handle that much boost, but at absolute perfect conditions.

I have the IPS kit and love it, no issues with the turbo system I'n 20k miles. I've also seen and heard good things about the granarelli TT kit.

At some point your going to want to add a little more boost, a little more, and a little more until you have to decide if you are going to forge your motor. Once you go forged, your options are limitless with a TT setup!
That's me, I want more boost already...lol. I gotta get with ETMC and decide whether to forge internals or get a lsx376.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by east TX Muscle cars View Post

The kit is capable of 1000hp but your engine may not be. If you ever build the engine though you could turn up the boost.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kit, phastekperformance, stock, turbo, twin turbo