Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
hennesseyss10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
SLP Performance Thermostat and Pulley, worth it?

I was browsing around and find a lot of people have the SLP Performance Thermostat. Is it a nice little "mod" to have?
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/2...0-p-75788.html

And also was looking at a pulley, thinking of buying one. Does anyone have this?
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/2...0-p-75789.html

Any help would be great!
hennesseyss10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
Godsplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Those are two mods that are questionable. I say questionable because some have swarn by them for a long time while others have shown no real benefit. It all comes down to who you trust/believe. I don't think you'd do any harm by the either of them but I don't necessarily think you'll gain much, if anything. The UDP is expensive and time consuming to install, unless you have the proper tools and can do it yourself. It also lowers your idle so that can cause a problem if you're not tuned. Most seem to wait till they put a cam in before installing it since it's easily accessible during the cam install and the idle can be raised with the tune.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Yes, I would recommend doing the thermostat and underdrive pulley. Is it something you're going to install and pick up 50 horsepower with? No. However, it lays the groundwork for future mods. Once you start adding bigger bolt ons and especially a cam, the entire package comes into play. The cars that perform the best and put up the best dyno numbers are the ones that have all of the supporting mods here and there to go along with the "big" mods.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Im very Interested also.

I didnt know the UDP was so hard to install though. Discouraging.

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy25 View Post
Im very Interested also.

I didnt know the UDP was so hard to install though. Discouraging.
It's not that bad in my opinion; having the right tools makes it a lot easier though than just trying to do this with your standard socket set.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
It's not that bad in my opinion; having the right tools makes it a lot easier though than just trying to do this with your standard socket set.
Thank you so much

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
2012REDSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
As said before the right tools are the key. Get an install tool and ARP bolt and it can be done in an hour.
2012REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
RyanBoles

Drives: 2010 2SS
I had a UDP on my 93 Z/28 and I noticed more torque but the only thing that bothered me was the low idle and all my lights would dim. I also had the thermostat i could hear the fans kick on sooner than normal. I know its two completely different motors but that was my experience.

Can anyone give any info on the Jet MAF upgrade? Is it that much of an improvement over the factory unit?
RyanBoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennesseyss10 View Post
I was browsing around and find a lot of people have the SLP Performance Thermostat. Is it a nice little "mod" to have?
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/2...0-p-75788.html

And also was looking at a pulley, thinking of buying one. Does anyone have this?
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/2...0-p-75789.html

Any help would be great!
I have the SLP pulley...see my sig. The good thing about the pulley is that the gains are throughout the entire RPM range. Dynos showed about a 5-8 RWHP increase throughout all RPMS. I looked it up back when I bought mine used about a month and a half ago. If I can find those graphs then I will post it. Now when I bought it I was very skeptical. I asked the previous owner what his thoughts were. He mentioned that it was hard for him to feel a difference on his car. But my butt dyno was very pleased with the results. The shop told me that if I wasn't pleased then they would re-install the old one for free...yes I've been going to them with all my cars for the past 6 years. So needless to say, the pulley is still on my car and I love it.

Now some other members have had troubles and removed the pulley. But I've had no issues with the charging or cooling or heating system...or any other system at all. My engine idles perfectly fine and smooth as hell. And the acceleration was improved over the OEM pulley. You can look at both pulleys side by side and see a huge difference in diameter. If you ask me, it's a good upgrade if you can find one used for a lower price. I don't know if it would have been worth the $250 plus that I've seen them going for brand new. I believe there is someone on here selling one so you might be in luck.

And BTW, a little install advice. Do not re-use the pulley bolt. You have to get a new one. The dealer has them for about 10 bucks. And there is no need to cut the AC belt. It can be easily removed without cutting. And make sure the proper torque sequence is followed. Even if you have to stand over someone's shoulder and watch them. My guys were good and I had no qualms with the way they installed it but I have heard some horror stories.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
they are worth doing if you are there already. like for cam or something, but i dont reccomend tearing into the motor to place either of those. but hey if you can do it yourself and have a boring saturday to fill go for it.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
they are worth doing if you are there already. like for cam or something, but i dont reccomend tearing into the motor to place either of those. but hey if you can do it yourself and have a boring saturday to fill go for it.

You do know it takes under an 1hr to install with the right tools? No tearing in to it, remove the intake tube, Belts, Pulley,
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
To each his own but it's not really that big of an install. 1-3 hours at the most. Besides, you probably won't even notice the difference if you went ahead and did a major upgrade like a cam. I'm one of those types that I have to feel how my car responds to every single mod. That's just me tho...
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
waste of time if you ask me. i only do mods that add decent power or sound.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote