Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-02-2015, 12:14 AM   #1
pabloss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
LOOKING FOR A GOOD SCRATCH-FREE CAR COVER.ANY RECOMANDATIONS?

My camaro is black and i wash it and wax very often because i park it in the backyard so gets dirty really fast.im thinking to buy a car cover that wont scratch my car since its black and scratches are really noticeable.what do you guys recomend
pabloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:25 AM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
All car covers will scratch if there is any dirt present.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:46 AM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloss View Post
My camaro is black and i wash it and wax very often because i park it in the backyard so gets dirty really fast.im thinking to buy a car cover that wont scratch my car since its black and scratches are really noticeable.what do you guys recommend
Scratch free and car cover are two things that don't go together. As mentioned above, all car covers will eventually cause scratches in the paint and they should never be used outdoors. Dirt and other particles will work their way up and underneath the car cover rubbing on the paint and every time the wind blows the cover will beat on the car, slowly damaging the paint. Even if you keep the car 100% clean in a perfectly clean environment with no air circulating, the nose, rear, and roof of the car will slowly show signs of damage simply just from removing and installing the car cover. Car covers really are only intended for one purpose, long term storage indoors.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:54 AM   #4
pabloss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
thanks for the info guys..never mind on the car cover lol...ill just keep taking care of my ride
pabloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:54 AM   #5
ChevyCamaroGirl

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS RS BLACK
I have a black Camaro that stays clean for about 30 seconds. But in those 30 seconds I'm like "damn! That's a sexy car"
I sealed my garage off best I could and covered the ceiling with a sheet of plastic. I've tried everything to keep it clean. The less you touch the paint, the less scratches you'll have. Keep it waxed and before you wash it, use an air compressor to get as much dust off before you start to wash. Never wash or dry in circular motions, just lightly in one direction.
ChevyCamaroGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Yep, indoors only!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  80.3 KB
Old 10-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
I came in here to say the exact same thing....and now I say it. ^^^Ditto^^^

I was naive and did it once way back. I learned.

I like the inside cover to be the softest thing you can possibly get and NEVER EVER cover your car unless it is totally as clean as you can get it.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
Roasstum1
EbonyCamaro

Drives: Black SS 14
I have the gm cover very nice and I have a black car. Light scratches in clear coat are naturally going to happen all cars have them. But they are amplified on black. Get a orbital polisher and do a correction on clear coat every 18 months or so.
Roasstum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #9
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
What does a cover do for a car kept inside I could never fiigure that out? My car is parked in the garage during the winter months but it isnt covered... I back it out and wash it when she is set free!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #10
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
back it out and wash it when she is set free!
Usually it is to avoid that step. Wash when you park, and she is ready when you are...not ready AFTER you spend an hour washing.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawSS View Post
Usually it is to avoid that step. Wash when you park, and she is ready when you are...not ready AFTER you spend an hour washing.
Gotcha! I just wasn't sure I thought it protected the car in some way while indoors but couldn't figure what that would be. So it wouldn't do much in my situation really.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #12
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
I like the Covercraft dustop cover I bought. Wipe the car down with some water less wash, put on the cover, and its clean for Spring time fun.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
What does a cover do for a car kept inside I could never fiigure that out? My car is parked in the garage during the winter months but it isnt covered... I back it out and wash it when she is set free!
It depends on where you live and if you have potential dust problems even with the car sitting inside.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #14
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Scratch free and car cover are two things that don't go together. As mentioned above, all car covers will eventually cause scratches in the paint and they should never be used outdoors. Dirt and other particles will work their way up and underneath the car cover rubbing on the paint and every time the wind blows the cover will beat on the car, slowly damaging the paint. Even if you keep the car 100% clean in a perfectly clean environment with no air circulating, the nose, rear, and roof of the car will slowly show signs of damage simply just from removing and installing the car cover. Car covers really are only intended for one purpose, long term storage indoors.
Protection from UV damage, etchings from rain droplets of a high acidic content drying on the finish, bird bombs, and industrial fallout is a worthy cause if all it means is having to polish the finish on the corners once a year. I have a CoverCraft Weathershield HD and while the fabric isn't the most gentle in the world, rain is not able to get through it and it hasn't scratched my paint at all as long as I put it on a clean car.

Dirt won't find it's way up the finish of a car with a cover that is custom fit. When I take my Weathershield HD off, the car pretty much looks exactly like how it did when I put it on, even after weeks of sitting. For those of us who don't have a garage but want a finish that looks as though we did, a good quality outdoor car cover is the ONLY option. It's just that you must always make sure you're putting it on a clean car.

You CANNOT beat the elements, I don't care how often you wax.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote