Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Camaro_Firebird

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS black 6 speed
TPMS alarm after 15 min - anyone else?

My 2010 SS tells me I have low pressure in one of the tires after 15 minutes in cold weather. It happens pretty much at the same point on my way to work about 15 minutes on the road. It doesn't always report the same tire being low. On my way home (when it's warmer) it clears and doesn't happen.

I've checked the pressure and they're all good. This sucks because I can't see the MPH in the center display. Anyone else have this problem?
Camaro_Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Well if you "scroll" up or down like you are cycling through all of the different screens, the low tire pressure screen will go away and you can look at your MPH. I had this problem but my tires were actually low. You might wanna try nitrogen as air will fluctuate vastly, and will read low in cold and high in the hear(as I'm sure you already know).
Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
you have to check it while the car is cold (before leaving the house). Once the tires warm up, the pressure will increase a lb or two. Keep about 34-35 lbs in the winter.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
first, get a new gauge. second, as the person above said, check it while it's cold. either that, or when it's warm, fill it to 2lbs over
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Firebird View Post
My 2010 SS tells me I have low pressure in one of the tires after 15 minutes in cold weather. It happens pretty much at the same point on my way to work about 15 minutes on the road. It doesn't always report the same tire being low. On my way home (when it's warmer) it clears and doesn't happen.

I've checked the pressure and they're all good. This sucks because I can't see the MPH in the center display. Anyone else have this problem?
You always should adjust your air pressure when it gets cold and do it again in the spring. Remember for every 10 degrees change in temperature equals 1 change in psi. As already mentioned you need to check your tires and add air one morning before you leave. Not doing this can cause long term damage and uneven wear to your tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
You might wanna try nitrogen as air will fluctuate vastly,
False.

The laws of physics apply to all forms of gases whether it be oxygen or nitrogen. For every 10 degrees change in temperature equals 1 change in psi. And "air" is 76% nitrogen.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

The laws of physics apply to all forms of gases whether it be oxygen or nitrogen. For every 10 degrees change in temperature equals 1 change in psi. And "air" is 76% nitrogen.

lol. yea, I always get a chuckle when I see people spending $10 a tire to get nitrogen
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
My problem with TPMS

I have a problem with my TPMS that is a little different than the poster's problem, but related in a way. At random times my TPMS will read an error, all tire pressures will be displayed as "--" and the tire pressure icon on the dash will be lit. I have not been able to correlate this with anything, time of day, temperature, city or highway driving, etc. It will sometimes be that way when I start and stay that way until I turn the car off and restart it and at other times it will be OK when I start the car and then all of a sudden I will get the TPMS error display that will usually stay on until I turn the car off and restart it. Sometimes it will spontaneously clear itself and read the tire pressures accurately. All the while this is occuring the tire pressures are normal, 35 psi. As usual when I ask my dealer about it I get the usual response "I dunno"!

Anybody got any ideas (other than going to another dealer, which I am strongly considering)?
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
I have a problem with my TPMS that is a little different than the poster's problem, but related in a way. At random times my TPMS will read an error, all tire pressures will be displayed as "--" and the tire pressure icon on the dash will be lit. I have not been able to correlate this with anything, time of day, temperature, city or highway driving, etc. It will sometimes be that way when I start and stay that way until I turn the car off and restart it and at other times it will be OK when I start the car and then all of a sudden I will get the TPMS error display that will usually stay on until I turn the car off and restart it. Sometimes it will spontaneously clear itself and read the tire pressures accurately. All the while this is occuring the tire pressures are normal, 35 psi. As usual when I ask my dealer about it I get the usual response "I dunno"!

Anybody got any ideas (other than going to another dealer, which I am strongly considering)?
Go to a dealer. You have a bad sensor.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
moyn
M0yn

Drives: 2011 Camaro Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post

I am having the EXACT same problem. very intermittent, and so hit or miss i can't pinpoint what could be causing it. Took it to the dealer, they said "we relearned all the sensors, you should be good." Drove off the lot, all is good. Next day, came back on! and it's a different tire each time. so it's not a bad sensor. ALSO i have winter tires, and summer performance tires. it happens on both sets. always giving me "--" as the reading, and when i check it the pressure is at 35.
anyone know as to what could cause it? already called the dealer and complained they said i have to bring it while it's happening, which is kinda hard
moyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyn View Post
I am having the EXACT same problem. very intermittent, and so hit or miss i can't pinpoint what could be causing it. Took it to the dealer, they said "we relearned all the sensors, you should be good." Drove off the lot, all is good. Next day, came back on! and it's a different tire each time. so it's not a bad sensor. ALSO i have winter tires, and summer performance tires. it happens on both sets. always giving me "--" as the reading, and when i check it the pressure is at 35.
anyone know as to what could cause it? already called the dealer and complained they said i have to bring it while it's happening, which is kinda hard
I have posted on a few threads about this issue. I have seen my issue resolved and a few others also. Seems to be the remote keyless module having issues. It contains the antenna that receives the signal from both the keyless entry and tire sensors.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
moyn
M0yn

Drives: 2011 Camaro Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012LS3VERT View Post
I have posted on a few threads about this issue. I have seen my issue resolved and a few others also. Seems to be the remote keyless module having issues. It contains the antenna that receives the signal from both the keyless entry and tire sensors.

Yea, i've been searching the thread like crazy. biggest thing i'm seeing is the FREQ getting changed from 315 to 314.9. haven't seen anything about the remote just yet. can you post a link? also, what was the final verdict for your fix?
moyn is offline   Reply With Quote