Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #127
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumer View Post
I wonder why all 2SS and 2LT orders that haven't been built are getting charged for the rear park assist anyway. I just went to chevy.com and built my car just as I ordered it and it is the same price, even with the rear park assist. So anyone who orders there car now essentially gets the rear park assist for free. I don't want them in the first place, but seriously another $295 that we don't have a choice on!
I almost went to Chevy.com to check, but glad you saved me the time. I don't believe anyone with the mentioned models will be charged the $295. As stated, it will be included as long as your car begins production after August 31st is the way I took it. And Chevrolet's website already reflects that. One should only be charged the $295 if you do not have any of the models mentioned or take your current car back in for the option.
I ordered in May, but my car is not slated for production until September 17th so looks like I am two weeks within getting this option. Sweet!
And yes, it will cost you $295 if you already have the car cause it is much more feasible to install this along with everything else when making the car. The cars already sold are too late and that's just the sad way that it goes. Sold as is and pay for extras!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #128
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome
Why did they focus on something useless when people are waiting for HUD and ABL?
I'd say that based on the following quote from this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/newrep...reply&p=848577, park assist has always been planned for a late 2009 release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicz68 View Post
From Camaro homepage:

FROM CONCEPT TO REALITY. CHEVY UNVEILS THE 2010 CHEVY CAMARO.

July 21, 2008

It's been one of the most talked about concept vehicles in automotive history. Now it's more than just a concept.

Today, at simultaneous events at the GM Tech Center in Warren, Michigan, and GM West Coast Advanced Design Studio North Hollywood, California, GM unveiled the 2010 Chevy Camaro. Sales begin in early 2009.

"The new Camaro delivers the best of both worlds – great heritage and a thoroughly modern, advanced package of performance, comfort and technology," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. "It's a sports car for a new generation of enthusiasts that doesn't forget the heritage that helped make the original a cultural icon."

And now, Camaro is returning to the streets. You'll be able to get the four-passenger, rear-wheel-drive performance Camaro Coupe in first quarter 2009 and the Camaro Convertible will follow within a year of the coupe.

A fast take on the facts

Built on the new GM global rear-drive platform, the Camaro is offered in V6-powered LS and LT models, as well as the V8-powered SS. All models and powertrain combinations include efficient six-speed transmissions.

"Camaro delivers all of the things that make Chevrolet such a revered, global brand," said Peper. "It is a car that competes with the best sports cars in its class, but does so with surprising efficiency. That is no small feat, and it took a worldwide commitment to achieve it."

The information provided below is current at time of publication. For even more product details, see the 2010 Chevy Camaro Spec Sheet and the Camaro Color Options.

Performance
A 3.6L DI VVT V6 engine with a projected 300 hp and manual six-speed transmission is standard on LS and LT models. Choose the available six-speed automatic with TAPshift to achieve an estimated 26 mpg highway1
A 6.2L V8 with a projected 400 hp with six-speed automatic transmission with TAPshift includes Active Fuel Management technology to achieve 23 mpg highway1
For the top-of-the-line, the 6.2L V8 with manual six-speed transmission produces a projected 422 hp
Four-wheel independent suspension system, including a 4.5 link rear suspension
Variable-rate power steering with the rack mounted forward of the front axle for better weight balance and greater driver feel
Four-wheel disc brake systems with ABS standard on all models, including four-piston Brembo calipers on SS models
StabiliTrak Electronic Stability Control System with traction control standard on all models

Competitive/Sport modes for the Stabilitrak system offered on SS models, including launch control on SS models equipped with the six-speed manual transmission
Robust body structure and exceptional build quality
Design
Sleek, heritage-inspired styling with contemporary cues and 10 available exterior colors
Detailed interior with heritage-inspired design, excellent attention to detail and available ambient LED lighting technology
RS Appearance Package available on LT and SS, with HID headlamps with integrated halo ring feature, spoiler, specific taillamps and 20-inch wheels2
Family of 18-, 19- and 20-inch wheels2
Extensive list of options and accessories for almost unlimited personalization choices
Technology
Bluetooth wireless technology for compatible phones3

Premium Boston Acoustics 9-speaker, 245 watt audio system with subwoofer available on select models
USB connectivity available on select models
Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist available on select models (planned for December, 2009)
Remote vehicle starting system available on select models
Six standard airbags: Dual-stage frontal air bags, Head-curtain side-impact air bags, Front-seat-mounted, side-impact thorax air bags for driver and front passenger.4
OnStar with one-year Safe & Sound Plan standard, also available is Turn
Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #129
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Hey btw...

What exactly was the official word on the Camaro going 4 stars? Wasnt the excuse for the car weighing in at almost 2 tons because it was 'safer'? Infact if I remember correctly, people were saying their insurance was lower because the camaro met this AND the next (2012) safety requirement.

Now the Mustang at 300~ lbs less has a better crash test rating?

I have what I beleive to be a valid reason in my post on page 16 of this thread about the crash test ratings:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=35988&page=16

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan3 View Post
It's called parenting! If you have no idea where your 4 year old is... dont back up until you do! Somehow no one ever ran over me or any of my siblings (I'm one of 6) and we have never owned a car with backup sensors.
Two questions:
1. You've never had kids have you?
2. Do you read the news? Children are backed over and killed or injured almost every day by people who thought they knew where their children were, or were supposed to be. Children can be unpredictable and sometimes downright sneaky, or the person you assume is watching them screws up. Just because it didn't happen to you or your siblings doesn't mean it doesn't happen. We used to ride around in cars that didn't even have seatbelts (they USED to be optional), so I guess we should all stop wearing them?

I wish my truck had them. My neighbors across the street let their 5 year old ride around on his power-wheels Hummer. Sometimes he goes in the street between his and his grandparents house next door in our small neighborhood, somewhat unsupervised. Our driveways line up. Scares the crap out of me because if he were behind my truck I'd never see him. Of course his father often had him sitting on his knee while cutting the grass on their riding mower. Worst part is the kids mom is a nurse! Is it my job to parent my neighbors kid too?

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 08-27-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #130
2L8IWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
...what? How exactly is ambient lighting useful?

And the HUD? You can see your speed by looking down at the speedometer...

I would like to see both of these as well, but your agument confuses me...

+1

Owners will learn to appreciate the rear parking assist. Good job GM!!!
I plan on dark tint in the rear so it's only going to help me get as close to other cars as I can when backing up without having to step out and glance while looking like I can't backup!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #131
2L8IWON

One more thing, I have 5 kids and I've taught them well. I'm not concerned about any of them standing behind me. My youngest being 3 is the only one I would have to worry about, but with dark tint, those big pillars, and other non-attentive dufuses, it's only a plus! And again, it also helps to get to about a foot to another car while backing up without having to get out and look like a dufus or without scraping a bumper while chancing getting close in a tight area. I haven't done that, but many people have. Just my two cents, but I speak from experience. We have the parking assist on two vehicles and it has been very helpful for backing up while not being able to use your brain as a precise measuring tape!
I think GM needs a thank you here for looking out for us and others and also not treating it as a money making scheme. They are including it on three models without charging extra and $295 is not bad either for the added protection it provides!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #132
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by off1c3r View Post
It will probably look something like this, which to me isn't that bad:

(you don't even notice them at first)
This is a incorrect photoshop - NOT ACTUAL
Old 08-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #133
Countach

Drives: Future 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
any word on installing on camaros produced b4?
2500 - 7/22/09 - Order Preferenced
3000 - 7/23/09 - Order Accepted by Production Control TPW 8/17/09
3100 - 8/5/09 - Order Available to Sequence
3300 - 8/5/09 - Order Scheduled for Production
3400 - 8/12/09 - Order Broadcast
3800 - 8/19/09 - Order Produced 2G1FC1EV6A9137780
4200 - 8/20/09 - Order Shipped
5000 - 8/27/09 - Delivered to Dealer
6000 - 8/27/09 - Home
Old 08-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #134
2L8IWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
This is a incorrect photoshop - NOT ACTUAL
Thanks much for that clarification. I would imagine it would be impossible to hide the sensors completely, but I hope it blends in fine.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #135
2L8IWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyforall1776 View Post
Oh I love acronyms - NOT

So what is the "SRJ" package?!
CONVENIENCE AND CONNECTIVITY PACKAGE
includes (UPF) Bluetooth for phone, (KTB) wireless PDIM, (USR) USB port, (NZL) steering wheel mounted audio controls, (N34) leather-wrapped steering wheel, (VY7) leather-wrapped shift knob and cargo convenience net (Also includes (BTV) remote vehicle starter system when (MX0) 6-speed automatic transmission is ordered.)
Invoice: $409 MSRP: $465
Old 08-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #136
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I thought there would have been more of an uproar about this because that was the line they were using when people complained about the weight. Ironic that all the weight didn't help. In fact, I would be willing to wager that the car fared poorly in the crash tests BECAUSE it has too much mass to slow down safely with current crash protection systems.

Who wants to address THIS idea?

I also thought this would cause more of a stir but I guess the thought police worked overtime. How many of us would have accepted this excuse had we known then that it was basically Grade A bull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
I have what I beleive to be a valid reason in my post on page 16 of this thread about the crash test ratings:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=35988&page=16
That is a possibility... but id give that an F for FAIL if thats the Case...
Old 08-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #137
Coldpants
Nerdy one

Drives: #000000 & #FF8000 2010 Camaro
They should put in a camera instead of sensors. Not just for backing up but so you can look at that Mustang behind U briefly before you smash into the tree ahead of U.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #138
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
someone post a pic of that tab over the rear seat of their car now please
Old 08-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #139
Cyber_Gray_Autobot

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
Bravo GM and well done.

I knew rear parking assist was eventually going to be added as an option and am very happy that I will be getting it when my car finally arrives. I was a bit disappointed thinking that I wouldn't get it, so this is really exciting news.

As for the excess weight, it cannot be more than a few hundred grams. I work with ultrasonic sensors and they are lighter than an apple.

I don't understand the negative response to this addition. Side air bags add much more weight and may never be used during the life time of a car, and yet I think most would agree that they would want their car to have them.

I have never owned a Camaro or a GM vehicle and am purchasing this car not because it is fast, but because it is well designed and engineered. And this is further proof that GM is really putting a lot of thought into their cars.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #140
DDA_Skull

Drives: 88 Jeep Wrangler, 2010 Camaro
The Feature that i want most in my camaro is a Heads Up Display. Other then that i don't really care, but mine is just bearly going down the assembly line so i'm not going to get the rear park assist eather.

Closed Thread