Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
crewxp

Drives: 2LT RS Summit White Camaro
QUICK AAC lighting Halo Question! RS Camaro - Ordering in about an hour.

Hey, I had a quick AAC lighting question. I plan on ordering it in about an hour when a specific rep comes in so that hopefully it can arrive by the weekend (want to get everything installed on the weekend).

But I had a question as to whether or not some of the parts I'm ordering applied to RS camaros or just non-RS camaros.

I think the RS camaro comes with HID headlamps to begin with, and im not sure about the fog lights/DRL. But I had a few questions

1.) Is there any bulb/LED upgrade for the stock RS headlamps or fog lights? Only want to spend the money if its noticeably better. If the RS already has a good enough light, I want to skip it.
2.) Is it worth it only getting the headlight halos? (Not the foglight halos). Trying to justify the 100 price increase of already 300
3.) Opinions on the LED bowtie? Does it look good? Haven't been able to find any night shots of it.

Thanks!!!
ps: Yeah, dont have my RS yet. Getting it friday!!
crewxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Kendell347
Doc

Drives: BLACKOUT & Fifty
The RS cars are equipped with Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) not fog lights.

In response to your questions, here are the answers:
1) Yes, there is an upgrade its a P13W bulb on the RS camaro, there is an LED or plasma LED bulb available through AAC. The coloration of the LED generally match the GM equipped halos better than stock halogen bulbs
2)You will already have halos with the RS package, unless you're looking to change the color of the halos to something other than white, I would hold off.
3)The bowtie is okay....its subjective..depends on the person. Its different, I will say that..

If you should have any questions, let me know. Congrats in advance to you!
1100-7/20/2009 * 6000-2/4/10 Proud Owner of Autographed Litho # 1282010 Camaro 2 SS/RS - BLACKOUT & 2017 Camaro 2 SS - 50th Anniversary #894 WWW. NY5THGEN.COM
Kendell347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
copper3000
Troy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Do your DRLs with the plasma bulbs, they look awesome!
copper3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
You don't need halos if you get an RS because that trim package already has halo. Do some research before you order a car. Nothing worse than a customer that has no clue what he's buying.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
crewxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
You don't need halos if you get an RS because that trim package already has halo. Do some research before you order a car. Nothing worse than a customer that has no clue what he's buying.
I agree! That's why I'm here! Getting Research!

I mainly wanted the halos for the blue halo ability. But I was worried that it may look weird if there were no halos on the DRL

I'm supposed to call back later today to order it, so i have a little more time than I thought.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
crewxp

And I've also decided to get plasma bulbs for my DRL.

In total this is what I'm thinking:
  • Flexible SMS Strips (For Lighting of Cupholder area)
  • Camaro LED Conversion Kit (Dome and Trunk)
  • Afterburner Taillights (Bc its awesome..)
  • LED Footwell Ambient Lighting (blue. Wired to dome or ambient, cant decide)
  • License Plate LED
  • P13W DRL Bulbs (is this the same thing as plasma u were talking about?)
  • Camaro Concept Sidemarkers (white camaro, so no tint and white paint?)

On The Rope:
  • Bowtie: Decided Against it.
  • Halos: Debatable, Blue/White Halos And Fog Light Halos? Just Head Halos? Or None?

Hmm... so much decisions to make within an hour! Thoughts greatly appreciated!! Definitely posting pics after!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewxp View Post
Hey, I had a quick AAC lighting question. I plan on ordering it in about an hour when a specific rep comes in so that hopefully it can arrive by the weekend (want to get everything installed on the weekend).

But I had a question as to whether or not some of the parts I'm ordering applied to RS camaros or just non-RS camaros.

I think the RS camaro comes with HID headlamps to begin with, and im not sure about the fog lights/DRL. But I had a few questions

1.) Is there any bulb/LED upgrade for the stock RS headlamps or fog lights? Only want to spend the money if its noticeably better. If the RS already has a good enough light, I want to skip it.
2.) Is it worth it only getting the headlight halos? (Not the foglight halos). Trying to justify the 100 price increase of already 300
3.) Opinions on the LED bowtie? Does it look good? Haven't been able to find any night shots of it.

Thanks!!!
ps: Yeah, dont have my RS yet. Getting it friday!!
Yes the RS package comes with halos and HIDs. AAC makes the P13W bulb yes. It is a lot brighter than the stock bulb. It will also match the halo ring vs the stock halogen bulb that is an off yellow. You can get the fog halos if you would like, I have both and like them very much. The LED bowtie is nice. It is on my list, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Hope I helped
Old 02-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
crewxp

thanks stieger!! lol, you seem to help on a lot of posts I make.

And your mod list is a lot of what I want too, so thanks

The more opinions I have the better Still welcome more!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
crewxp

is there a difference between this one:
https://02e3165.netsolstores.com/p13wsale.aspx

and this one:
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/p13w_sale.aspx

?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
The Stig

Quote:
Yes, slight differences but they are still there.

The newer ones, plasma bulbs, are brighter than the LED ones. Which is pretty nice. They also have a built in regulator to protect the plasma LEDs from voltage spikes. The OEM DRL set up has occasional voltage spikes, these voltage spikes can fry the regular LEDs. Of course AAC has a life time warranty on their parts so you would just have to send it in. But it's a hassle.

Not a problem, glad that I can help out.

If you check out my albums I believe that I have a few shots of the ABL interior.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
crewxp

Thanks!! Got everything finalized and everything should be in Friday. I decided not to go through with the halos right now (to save money), and I'm going to wait for the GroupBuy that's going on to save a little money.

Thanks a bunch. I got the DRL kit also. Is that something you'ld recommend to have installed with my plasma lights?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
The Stig

Quote:
Thanks!! Got everything finalized and everything should be in Friday. I decided not to go through with the halos right now (to save money), and I'm going to wait for the GroupBuy that's going on to save a little money.

Thanks a bunch. I got the DRL kit also. Is that something you'ld recommend to have installed with my plasma lights?
You don't need to pay someone to install the plasma bulbs. If you can change a light bulb in your house you can do these. You just need to unscrew the front of the wheel well and its right there.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
crewxp

lol nice. Yeah, I'm thinking now that I'm holding off on the halos, I might be able to do everything on my own and save some $.

I'm thinking the hardest part will be the plasma bulbs, after burners, and actual ambient lighting wiring. But plasmas you said are easy, so I'm hoping that turns out true I just got my degree in comp engineering so the wiring shouldn't be hard.

The hard parts should be taking off the covers to get to the actual wiring. (That and bearing with drilling a hole to make room for my two switches. Is that what you did?)