Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: What Is Your Z/28 Purchase Status?
Serious buyer - done deal! 21 21.88%
Half-Assed buyer - sure I have a deal...lol 3 3.13%
Lazy buyer - Later! Leave me alone! 16 16.67%
Hoping buyer - PLEASE please I hope I can! 56 58.33%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #71
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
A fair 1978 price comparison would be between a Base Firebird Formula and a Trans Am WS6 (4WDB) with the optional T/A 6.6. There was 15% between the Base models, and the other performance options listed totalled another 15%. Keep in mind, 1979 saw over 100,000 T/As assembled, many times more than the number of z/28s we'll see.

Volume pays the benefit of lower piece costs. LACK of volume CO$T$...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #72
OrngCrush

Drives: 1978 Z28, 2010 IOM 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Go back to the '69 MSRP list, take a 6-cylinder Camaro, add all the features you can to match a 2013 1LT as close as you can, and you'll find the '69 list would have been over $5,800. You STILL wouldn't have all the electronic and safety features you have, today, nor would you have the build quality you have today.

$5,800, adjusted for today's dollar (X 5.94), = $34,452, considerably more than its current Base Price.

To approximate a Z/28, you'd need to take '69 COPO 9560 ZL1-engined Camaro (@ $7,000 and change) and start adding a very l-o-n-g list of features to it. You'd end up well north of $10,000...which today would be over $60,000...which it will be...

I see where your going here, in some aspects prices are lower for some options today. But, how is a ZL1 a Z28? Which is my point. Limited production numbers, hand built motors, excessive markups does not represent what traditionally was a Z28. I just feel it is not a car for the masses. COPO's were rare for a reason. The new Z28 while impressive is a bit too exotic when compared to previous generations of Z28 in terms of prices and production numbers in my opinion.
OrngCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #73
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
A '69 ZL1 was built in small numbers. It was an all-aluminum 427-engined beast, with an available Sports Car Conversion pkg (COPO 9737). In its day, the COPO 9560 could be built with essentially Z/28 equipment. Weighed the same as a Z/28. And because it was built in small numbers, ALL its development costs (contrary to Vince Piggins' assurance to Fred Gibb) were charged against each car sold. Just the way it will be with the coming Z/28. And LOW volumes makes the developmental costs burden GREATER per unit than it might otherwise be.

Result? An inordinately higher unit MSRP. And THAT is why we sought an earlier release for that vehicle, in this Section. Because we KNEW the lower the total volume built, the higher the unit cost would be...

Make sense, now?

EDIT:
The ZL1 package, COPO 9560, sold for approx. $4150, with mandatory options additional. ZL1 crate engines, back then, could be bought for as little as $2995. The difference in price? Development costs...and THAT was before the days of EPA/CAFE/crash tests... Curiously, '69 COPOs DID have a 5-year powertrain warranty, just like today!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #74
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...it's not a funny end to this amount of total carnage and cataclysmic wrecks with the ZL1's that has been posted so far. It's shocking. But, anticipated...
Old 09-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #75
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrngCrush View Post
I see where your going here, in some aspects prices are lower for some options today. But, how is a ZL1 a Z28? Which is my point. Limited production numbers, hand built motors, excessive markups does not represent what traditionally was a Z28. I just feel it is not a car for the masses. COPO's were rare for a reason. The new Z28 while impressive is a bit too exotic when compared to previous generations of Z28 in terms of prices and production numbers in my opinion.
Well, Chevy did say that the Z/28 wasn't for everyone and that it was for hardcore track enthusiast .
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #76
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I just bought a Silverado from my dealer recently, he reminded me that they are selling me a Z28 when they are available...I told him when they have an allocation, will talk...my Pedderized 1LE is pretty fast, not sure I need to buy a Z28, but may want one anyway...
Old 10-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #77
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I just bought a Silverado from my dealer recently, he reminded me that they are selling me a Z28 when they are available...I told him when they have an allocation, will talk...my Pedderized 1LE is pretty fast, not sure I need to buy a Z28, but may want one anyway...
It is my job to stay a step ahead of the best that GM allows engineering to design and build. Can we Pedderise a Z/28 -- just at and see what what we have for the Z/28
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #78
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
It is my job to stay a step ahead of the best that GM allows engineering to design and build. Can we Pedderise a Z/28 -- just at and see what what we have for the Z/28
I should have known...but if I buy the Z/28 I will be poor and you'll have to donate your new Pedder's stuff....
Old 10-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #79
JusticePete

Quote:
I should have known...but if I buy the Z/28 I will be poor and you'll have to donate your new Pedder's stuff....
Donate? Lo siento, no hablo espaņol.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #80
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...if I can't afford it, at least I wan't a shot at driving it, and will leave my car and keys at the lot in lieu of operation of same. It's gonna be a phenominal ride.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #81
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Donate? Lo siento, no hablo espaņol.

You're safe Pete...since yours is likley the only 5th gen, plus maybe Detroit Speeds that will get to play at Optima...thinking I will be building something with an LS7 rather than buying the Z/28...
Old 10-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #82
JusticePete

Quote:
You're safe Pete...since yours is likley the only 5th gen, plus maybe Detroit Speeds that will get to play at Optima...thinking I will be building something with an LS7 rather than buying the Z28...
That DSE Camaro is one hellofa piece!

I like the sound of an LS7. Put the dry sump in the trunk behind the passenger side tail light while on the scales where it belongs
Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #83
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Deposit made... and #1 on the list.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #84
Aqua_Blue_SS

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Deposit made... and #1 on the list.