Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #43
Bomino

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
yes, without

A/C LINES AND DUCTING
A/C-HEAT BLOWER MOTOR ASSY

its 36.6 lbs +/-
Old 05-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #44
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Thanks for the great link.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #45
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomino View Post
yes, without

A/C LINES AND DUCTING
A/C-HEAT BLOWER MOTOR ASSY

its 36.6 lbs +/-
That's a great article! Thanks for posting.

By my math and his info I get 43'ish?:

"A/C EVAPORATOR CORE ASSY.
A/C COMPRESSOR
A/C CONDENSER
A/C LINES AND DUCTING
A/C FIREWALL COVER
3.6"
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #46
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I believe some of that does double duty for the heater.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #47

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I believe some of that does double duty for the heater.
How about the actual coolant/freon....if it's anything like I remember, it's on the heavy side....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #48
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
..just talkin out loud folks...if they price this baby like a growing majority is calculating then they will be cutting off our noses to spite their face <sarcasim>. 500 units...only for the elite collector and a few racers. I know the numbers, the models, the statistics, lineage, history yada yada...what would be the point of that...for a Camaro..and I am a life long Camaro guy. Also, I am a life long Camaro Z-28 guy who would like to get this model by trading in my ZL1 on it. I am getting old, can't keep everything..soooo. It's ok if it's priced to the moon, I have a ZL1 anyway. But, I don't see their logic in doing that, only if there was a sanctioned race series they were entering and needed to hit a finite limted production to get the car in. Just sayin....
Old 05-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #49
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
..just talkin out loud folks...if they price this baby like a growing majority is calculating then they will be cutting off our noses to spite their face <sarcasim>. 500 units...only for the elite collector and a few racers. I know the numbers, the models, the statistics, lineage, history yada yada...what would be the point of that...for a Camaro..and I am a life long Camaro guy. Also, I am a life long Camaro Z-28 guy who would like to get this model by trading in my ZL1 on it. I am getting old, can't keep everything..soooo. It's ok if it's priced to the moon, I have a ZL1 anyway. But, I don't see their logic in doing that, only if there was a sanctioned race series they were entering and needed to hit a finite limted production to get the car in. Just sayin....
hypothetically if its an outrageous price they have a few reasons to do it.

1. Because they can, they are showing off how capable they are, and how capable this car is/can be.

2. Send the 5th gen out with a bang, need some excitement with the next mustang right around the corner and the 6th gen camaro a few years away too.

3. They wanted to make this a car you can buy and go race, so props to them for doing it right.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #50
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
hypothetically if its an outrageous price they have a few reasons to do it.

1. Because they can, they are showing off how capable they are, and how capable this car is/can be.

2. Send the 5th gen out with a bang, need some excitement with the next mustang right around the corner and the 6th gen camaro a few years away too.

3. They wanted to make this a car you can buy and go race, so props to them for doing it right.
Chevy proved their capability of doing something they never did before, and in a way, to show that they could. The ZL1. It was underpriced by performance metrics VS it's MSRP. They seemingly answered our pleas here on the Z-28 forum where we discussed the bulding of the Z-28 with the LS7 in a final go out with a blow out ride. We got it built, by gosh yes they are doing it! By making a car they can race and doing it right, then it should have been a COPO style no VIN race only model, not similar to that of the ZL1 where it's warrantied for racing, but can be a DD.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Chevy proved their capability of doing something they never did before, and in a way, to show that they could. The ZL1. It was underpriced by performance metrics VS it's MSRP. They seemingly answered our pleas here on the Z-28 forum where we discussed the bulding of the Z-28 with the LS7 in a final go out with a blow out ride. We got it built, by gosh yes they are doing it! By making a car they can race and doing it right, then it should have been a COPO style no VIN race only model, not similar to that of the ZL1 where it's warrantied for racing, but can be a DD.
I'm thinking perhaps these Z/28s just may "magically" stop at 692(?) or whatever it was they built in '67...I don't think they realistically can make very many of them that are street-legal, for a variety of reasons....

Perhaps a COPO similar program for a track car would be how they continue on....(COPOs were street-legal, but that's not how they're building them now, either)....LS7s, the 5thGens themselves, aren't gonna be around for very much longer anyways...Another guess, they will only be MY 2014 (built as long as the rules allow)...no '15s....who knows...

It's been said various times and in different ways, that they considered calling the ZL1 the Z/28...It's more Z/28ish to how a lot of people would have wanted the Z/28 built for affordability, and street-ability...Stripper cars will never be big sellers, no matter what form they come in...

I think the bottom line will be, if you really, really want one, you better get one as soon as possible...I don't think the Z/28 in it's present form will be around very long....

Last edited by 90503; 05-14-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #52
OldScoolCamaro

^, I hear ya, that prospect of the waiver situation as mentioned by our coleague in another thread I was not aware of previously will be a bug in the ointment and bottleneck production. An unmentioned "limit" production number to correlate with some historical point is doubtfull, as they already stated about building with no artificial limit. Agreed on the ability of getting one, as I stated previously, hoops of fire and much effort it will take to be the guy. Especially if the waiver does not carry over into '15 for the LS7. Sorry for any hijack...back to the thread.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #53
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
With Dodge saying they're working on a direct competitor to the Z/28 it doesn't make sense for the manufacturers to be making cars like these unless they're also planning on competing in either a current series or a new/revival manufacturer's series. And I simply cannot believe Ford isn't planning on coming to this party; they're not going to let Chevy and Dodge get all the glory and press coverage.

A new Big 3 manufacturer's series that requires street-legal production cars would be a huge win for everybody. Lots of fantastic press coverage, great for cars, tires, sponsors, drivers, and personally I think it would/could be more popular than NASCAR simply because fans could buy and drive on the street the cars they're watching on the track. A series like this would definitely sell street cars.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
With Dodge saying they're working on a direct competitor to the Z/28 it doesn't make sense for the manufacturers to be making cars like these unless they're also planning on competing in either a current series or a new/revival manufacturer's series. And I simply cannot believe Ford isn't planning on coming to this party; they're not going to let Chevy and Dodge get all the glory and press coverage.

A new Big 3 manufacturer's series that requires street-legal production cars would be a huge win for everybody. Lots of fantastic press coverage, great for cars, tires, sponsors, drivers, and personally I think it would/could be more popular than NASCAR simply because fans could buy and drive on the street the cars they're watching on the track. A series like this would definitely sell street cars.
Hope you're right....that would be a great scenario....but just thinking, I would have thought that sort of thing would have happenened already with the ZL1, 1LE, Boss 302, etc....If the Z/28 is what it takes to get things over the hump, that would be awesome....
Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #55
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Just a comment on weight: My 2012 Camaro 1SS (very few options) weighed 3820 (at two different drag strips). AO said they had taken away "more than" 100 lbs. Could the Z28 break into the 36XX lb class?

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #56
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Just a comment on weight: My 2012 Camaro 1SS (very few options) weighed 3820 (at two different drag strips). AO said they had taken away "more than" 100 lbs. Could the Z28 break into the 36XX lb class?
If it does? It's price will reach the stratosphere. As I've said before, the more they cut, strip or lighten the car, the more it'll cost. But I dont see it going into the 3600lb class. I think it'll be 3700+lbs. 3600 is stretching it a bit much as theyve already gotten it down below the SS.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote