Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2011, 01:38 AM   #99
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
for what it's worth..........

............every time we make a change - some people absolutely hate it.

I was not a fan when I first saw the lights (separate - not on the car -- some time ago) --- but you might be surprised as to how they grow on you.

Not to beat a dead horse...........

......oh - all right -- why not..........

...........you MAY recall that a whole buncha people "HATED" the SS fascia --

and they HATED the mail slot...............and they HATED the backup lamps...........and they HATED the interior.................and they HATED the B-pillar...........

(.....want me to continue? I have many more examples........)

As always - it's best to see it in person before passing final judgement......
Agree with you there Scott, don't judge it before seeing it in real life. That's why I went to see the EU spec Camaro at the Geneva Motor Show.

Like I said before, I can understand that there are rules to follow, but as has been said above, there are several EU cars that have smaller mirrors than the Camaro has now, and they're all road legal. If there absolutely was a need to integrate the side indicators in the mirrors, hmm.. GM designers could have gone for a far more elegant solution than adding half a mirror size for a lamp, for sure? Personally, like I said above, I'd have used the side lights in the front fender for that, not ruining the "lines" of the car (sorry, but the mirrors do that for me)

And as for the taillights, well, I looked at them up close and from a distance, lights on and off, and just can't bring myself to like them... They have (all in my very humble opinion of course) an unfinished look to it, and changing them into the "sunglass" shape... kind of ruins the back of the car for me.(Maybe it would have been better if the LEDs had a red cover over them, but even then, I don't like the "inbetween upright" deletion).

Which basically was enough for me to put me off from buying a EU spec car... (not from buying a proper Camaro though )
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #100
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
, there are several EU cars that have smaller mirrors than the Camaro has now, and they're all road legal. If there absolutely was a need to integrate the side indicators in the mirrors, hmm.. GM designers could have gone for a far more elegant solution than adding half a mirror size for a lamp, for sure? Personally, like I said above, I'd have used the side lights in the front fender for that, not ruining the "lines" of the car (sorry, but the mirrors do that for me)
Unfortunately there is more to meeting the mirror and lighting standard than you might believe............this mirror meets all of the requirements. There is a standard for total mirror surface area as one requirement -

Further - it must meet wind-tunnel requirements (that we put in place) -- for things such as wind noise and whistle........

While I'm not the release engineer for any of this, you can be assured that whatever we do to the car to meet standards, GM Design reviews everything...

I think my point is this: We cannot please everyone - and, as you saw on this thread, there are people that love the lights and people who hate 'em......

That's what's called "Passion for the Brand" -
Old 06-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #101
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

I was not a fan when I first saw the lights (separate - not on the car -- some time ago) --- but you might be surprised as to how they grow on you.

and they HATED the mail slot...............and they HATED the backup lamps...........and they HATED the interior.................and they HATED the B-pillar...........

what if some of us still hate the B-pillar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Any chance those taillights will ever make it to the US models, Fbodfather?
I'm sure if GM doesnt offer it, there will be aftermarket kits for it. I would love to see a sequential turn signal function on the outer rim lights.

Quote:
Unfortunately there is more to meeting the mirror and lighting standard than you might believe............this mirror meets all of the requirements. There is a standard for total mirror surface area as one requirement -

Further - it must meet wind-tunnel requirements (that we put in place) -- for things such as wind noise and whistle........

While I'm not the release engineer for any of this, you can be assured that whatever we do to the car to meet standards, GM Design reviews everything...

I think my point is this: We cannot please everyone - and, as you saw on this thread, there are people that love the lights and people who hate 'em......

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #102
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:

Directive 2003/97/EC:

Well, the surface at least exceeds the "minimum" requirements by far (you need to be able to draw a rectangle of 40mm height, width equal to 150mm x (1 + 1000/r), where r is the radius of curvature... Not that I'm going to argue, but I'm quite sure the American mirrors exceeded that standard, set back in 2003? :-D
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #103
RS1017

Drives: 2011 IBM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM View Post
The spoiler
The mirrors
The taillights
i lol'd reading this post. however, i agree. those tails are pretty sexy..i wouldnt use them on mine though. it is a very unique look though
RS1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #104
BlackJacket

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
I like the tail lights. Not sure about the spoiler though.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #105
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Is there a picture of the tow hook?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #106
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
So I just ran this by my european fiancee.

Me- "babe, they are releasing the camaro in europe, come see this rear end on it."

Her- "Damn! That's hot! Why did they change it"

Me- "Because europeans like sunglasses on the ass of their cars"

Her- "Is that bad?"

Me- "I think it looks like dogshit"

HAHAH so I guess it's going to be a hit in europe! I don't actually think it looks that bad, but the U.S. design is much much classier in my opinion. To each their own.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #107
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Well, they've released pricing on the Camaro for Sweden...it's gonna be hard to resist. Of course, saying I can get over the rear lights. And new steering wheel. Or just change both of them.

Hm, maybe it is just easier to get that used 2011 import...
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #108
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK454 View Post
Those mirrors are brutal, but the European governments know what's best... Just be glad we don't have those regulations here.
I wonder if they require dual redundant backup warning $en$or$ and camera$ like they have here, or if the repulsive mirrors make up for that?

The spoiler is cool, and the color is cool and the taillights remind me of some kind of "aftermarket" cheapo replacement like when every econobox had to have those clear round taillights thrown on.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #109
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

Actually, I hated the lower grille because it looks like an afterthought and not integrated into the fascia like the RS (and now ZL1) lower grilles. The LED lights have the same "thrown on at the last minute" feeling to them. They don't have a the "integrated" LED lamp look of even a Hyundai.

I "put up with" the SS grille because I don't have any real choice. You can't pick a better one on an SS. It's a black mark on the car but was not a deal breaker. (If your boss had been spouting off his gas tax claptrap at the time it would have been... and may still be in the future *hint* *hint*).

I also "put up" with the incomplete Ambient Lighting too. 3 model years of the vehicle and 2 interations of the dash and what happened?

You guys think people love this car so much that it has no faults, but in reality there's simply so few choices for this type of car that people buy them by default. The sales numbers are impressive, but a small investment in solving the glitches would surprise you how many more would sell.

This is meant as a constructive critique, so all you hair trigger knee jerk defenders don't bother flaming me. I will ignore the personal attacks you will predictably launch.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #110
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Actually, I hated the lower grille because it looks like an afterthought and not integrated into the fascia like the RS (and now ZL1) lower grilles. The LED lights have the same "thrown on at the last minute" feeling to them. They don't have a the "integrated" LED lamp look of even a Hyundai.

I "put up with" the SS grille because I don't have any real choice. You can't pick a better one on an SS. It's a black mark on the car but was not a deal breaker. (If your boss had been spouting off his gas tax claptrap at the time it would have been... and may still be in the future *hint* *hint*).

I also "put up" with the incomplete Ambient Lighting too. 3 model years of the vehicle and 2 interations of the dash and what happened?

You guys think people love this car so much that it has no faults, but in reality there's simply so few choices for this type of car that people buy them by default. The sales numbers are impressive, but a small investment in solving the glitches would surprise you how many more would sell.

This is meant as a constructive critique, so all you hair trigger knee jerk defenders don't bother flaming me. I will ignore the personal attacks you will predictably launch.
You hit the nail on the head. I'd like to second your motion on the ambient lighting..... considering now, the fact that FULL dashboard and door illumination is available on the CTS and Buick LaCrosse. They seem to have forgotten that it was on the Camaro where the full dashboard illumination was FIRST conceived before EITHER of those vehicles had it.

Then as production neared it was scaled back to just the doors, and GM was sort of acting like they did us a favor by even making that available at all.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #111
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
Directive 2003/97/EC:

Well, the surface at least exceeds the "minimum" requirements by far (you need to be able to draw a rectangle of 40mm height, width equal to 150mm x (1 + 1000/r), where r is the radius of curvature... Not that I'm going to argue, but I'm quite sure the American mirrors exceeded that standard, set back in 2003? :-D

If what you're implying is true, we spent a lot of money to make mirrors much larger than the standard -- to make the car look different....and add more part numbers in the plant.........

Let me assure you that this is not the case........we do everything possible to 'run common' - meaning we try to use a component in as many markets as possible......

The mirrors are the way they are to meet the European Union Standard as well as wind noise abatement.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #112
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Is there a picture of the tow hook?

the attachment is behind a 'chicklet' in both the front and rear bumper.....a small 'square' --