Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #71
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
Oh yeah, that "Toll Booth" I mentioned... ^ , Make sure you have a really, really long slowdown lane. 150 MPH to zero is not an adventure I'd like to take..
i like my tires, and my car.. all in one piece.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #72
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
I would avoid that highway like hell if one was built here. The thought of limitless driving in America scares the shit out of me. I'm sorry but I've driven in several states and from that small experience I know this wont go well.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #73
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
An American Autobahn would work here just like it works in Germany. The gist of it is that ALL major highways in Germany are "Autobahns" in the sense that almost all the "A" (major highways, like our Interstate) roads have rural sections with unlimited speed. As you approach major metro areas, the speeds ARE restricted, and in fact it seems to me, are MORE restrictive than here.

As for cooperation, I do agree on that point, but I think part of it is the fact that you're allowed to go fast, and trained to get in the slow lane whenever you're not passing. Here, folks think they're performing a civic duty, or at least they rationalize their passive-aggressive driving in that way, by becoming a left lane loafing, rolling roadblock at/near the speed limit.

What you see going fast most on the Autobahn is Mercedes, BMW and Audi, and a significant number of them are the high horsepower "station wagons" that are so popular over there.

The typical scenario is that you're in the left lane, of a divided, four lane (2 per direction) highway, and you see someone in your lane up ahead. Typically, they'll notice you and get over at their first opportunity, which is usually quickly because they can just speed up to get around whomever is next to them. If they don't notice you, you can put your left signal on, or blink your brights. In over 500 miles over 2 days, I never had an incident where slower cars wouldn't get out of the way promptly, and usually without any blinking from me. You still need to take care when rapidly overtaking cars in EITHER lane; you never know when someone in the middle of a line of cars in the slow lane will pop out not seeing you.It's not the crazy, top speed banzai run mecca that some think. Most people are just getting to wherever they're going, on the highway, at a speed they feel is safe/comfortable. Typically in my (limited) experience, the "slow" lane averaged about 85mph with trucks somewhat slower, and the "fast" lane averaged about 120mph. The fastest we went was about 140, and there were only a couple cars going that fast. Didn't see any Ferraris, Lambos, or 911Ts doing 200mph runs or anything, and in fact, it would almost be out of character. I'm sure it happens, and it's fun, but it's just not the norm.

Aren't there still a FEW spots like in Montana or west Texas without speed limits?

One last thing; the German driver's license process isn't the "take a class, take a stupid written and driving test that anyone can pass, and then rubber stamp them a license" process that we use here. It's expensive, time consuming and challenging. The American process is a joke designed to get as many people driving, as cheaply and quickly as possible. There's zero effort to actually train or prepare a person, and zero effort to restrict access to those with an appropriate temperament or mental capacity.

It may take a "tiered" license system here . . . such as you are restricted from the American Autobahn without the AB endorsement on your license.
This may work nicely in EU but that sh** does NOT happen here! Most of us Americans feel too privelaged to move out of the left lane and have the "F*** you go around me attitude." This is what will get people killed in an American Autobahn. The other day I was heading to work on the freeway. Some woman in her SUV was in the left lane of a 2 lane stretch of US54 south. She was going 56-58 MPH in a 60 and she was right beside someone in the right lane going the same speed. Rather than speed up to 60 to gradually pass the guy on the right, and then move her ass out the way to let faster traffic past - she continued for about 5-6 exits going subspeed limit. I was behind the guy directly behind her and he was pissed. He was flashing his lights, tailgating and creeping leftward to shine his lights in her left side mirror. Didn't budge. There's too many people in this country like this so I dont think it would work.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #74
CamaroVS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Hi,

I am German, so you can ask me any questions concerning our Autobahn

Over here we are only allowed to overtake on the left lanes, overtaking on the right lane is illegal.
What we would need are more than only two lanes per direction (it´s an exception to have more, only in major traffic spots...and there we mostly have a speed limit of about 120 km/h)

I got a question as well: Are your Camaros limited at a special mph?
Mine is limited to 250 km/h

I drove through a few states in 1998 and in my opinion the Americans drive quite good. I see the same percentage of stupids over here...
CamaroVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #75
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
As long as a-holes in this country sit in the left lane, when not passing and don't move out of the way of faster moving vehicles it will never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
This may work nicely in EU but that sh** does NOT happen here! Most of us Americans feel too privelaged to move out of the left lane and have the "F*** you go around me attitude." This is what will get people killed in an American Autobahn. The other day I was heading to work on the freeway. Some woman in her SUV was in the left lane of a 2 lane stretch of US54 south. She was going 56-58 MPH in a 60 and she was right beside someone in the right lane going the same speed. Rather than speed up to 60 to gradually pass the guy on the right, and then move her ass out the way to let faster traffic past - she continued for about 5-6 exits going subspeed limit. I was behind the guy directly behind her and he was pissed. He was flashing his lights, tailgating and creeping leftward to shine his lights in her left side mirror. Didn't budge. There's too many people in this country like this so I dont think it would work.
I deal with this issue every single day. I understand that to some people, 60 mph feels like you are manhandling a rocket ship. Thats fine, stay in the right lane when you aren't passing. Allow those of us that feel we can safely drive the speed limit to pass you and all is good. What should take me 35 min to get where I need to go takes 50 because of nonsense like this.

The only way I can ever see an autobahn working in this great country we live in is to do what SSFury suggested. Anything less, road rage, as well as nasty high speed auto fatalities can be expected on a grand scale.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #76
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

It's a mustang, but couldn't help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #77
harrycamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro lt w/ chrome 20's
Americans drive quite good?? come back for a visit and say that again...I hate the majority of drivers here. they are clueless, and getting a license here is so easy....they have a do it at home, let ur parents teach you kit that relies on the parent taking responsibility. Its a joke. I could have gotten my license without ever getting behind the wheel of the car (my dad is a sheriff and wouldn't let that happen of course) but its possible. And I'm sure its been done. Just turn in a time sheet, have a parent sign it saying they're not lying (LMFAO) and you have a license. Not to mention illegals driving here. anyone can get a vehicle. any one can start it, anyone can drive it. There is nothing stopping any inexperienced driver from getting on the road and killing someone. (even though my cousin did drive from LA to TX when he was 14) but thats what I mean. Including drunks and stoners and anyone who doesn't know what a stop sign is. Not to mention talking on the phone and now texting. it should all be illegal. people here are too careless and dont give a damn about anyone but themselves and what they need to do. And all the Teenagers have the im invincible attitude...I hate teenage drivers with a passion (although i am 18) but it is true.

Not to mention the autobahn here wouldn't help with our $14trillion(or whatever unrealistic number the idiots in DC have made.) in debt.

Give it another 1000 years when all the idiots weave themselves out of the system(Darwin's Theory ) then maybe it'll happen...
harrycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #78
evilbeef54
tail lights for u

Drives: Bumble Bee 2010 2SS/RS
lol, that would be awesome, we had a mini autobahn in AZ untill devolopers got ahold of it, it was about 60 miles of straight smooth perfect road out side of ANYTHING and it paralled i-10 about 30 miles in so if you were heading west.... Good times, now it is all houses :(

my dad had his prius on the autobahn doing 130 when he lived out there, Jesus i could only imagine the idiots we would get on one here, unfortunatly it will never happen
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RY M6- LOVIN' it
Kooks LT's & HFC's, Flowmaster Single chamber mufflers, C.A.I. Intake, ADM Scoop, Rotofab w/w relocate

Semper Paratus

You have to go out You don't have to come back!!!
evilbeef54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #79
evilbeef54
tail lights for u

Drives: Bumble Bee 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph2275 View Post

It's a mustang, but couldn't help it.
lol, awesome
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RY M6- LOVIN' it
Kooks LT's & HFC's, Flowmaster Single chamber mufflers, C.A.I. Intake, ADM Scoop, Rotofab w/w relocate

Semper Paratus

You have to go out You don't have to come back!!!
evilbeef54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #80
crateish

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT/RS Coupe
We're not even allowed to add on to or update our passenger train system. How are we going to get an Autobahn?

All of which are 'European' ideas. And those are 'bad.'
Old 01-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #81
dolt45
Glorious Ignoramus

Drives: SS 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroVS View Post
Hi,

I am German, so you can ask me any questions concerning our Autobahn

Over here we are only allowed to overtake on the left lanes, overtaking on the right lane is illegal.
What we would need are more than only two lanes per direction (it´s an exception to have more, only in major traffic spots...and there we mostly have a speed limit of about 120 km/h)

I got a question as well: Are your Camaros limited at a special mph?
Mine is limited to 250 km/h

I drove through a few states in 1998 and in my opinion the Americans drive quite good. I see the same percentage of stupids over here...
I spent a little over 3 years in Germany and I spent a lot of time driving back and forth from Herborn to Franfurt on the Autobahn and in those three years I only saw one accident involving more than one vehicle (I saw 1 that was a single car that was probably a high speed blowout). I did see some idiots on the road but they always seemed to hold it together when they hit the no speed limit stretches. Whether due to fear or training I have no idea.

As much as I hate to admit it most people in America have a long way to go before they will be able to cope on an unlimited speed section of road.

As mentioned above passing on the Autobahn is only allowed on the left. If someone is behind you and flashes their lights you must move to the right and let them pass. I never once saw someone fail to get out of the way. Not once. In America it is just as seldom that somebody WILL get out of the way. Heck, in Germany most folks would pass and then move right with nobody behind them. I loved it.

We don't take driving as seriously as it seemed the Germans did. Not by a LONG shot.

I loved the Autobahn. The maintenance on it was amazing. Potholes? Not even. Miles and miles of smooth road that were SAFE at high speeds. When was the last time you drove 10 miles in America and didn't hit a bump? At over 100mph bumps get ugly, potholes get deadly.

Nope. As much as I want it to happen I wouldn't drive on it. The aggregate skill level in America is WAY too low. As is the attitude behind the wheel.

Me? The day my warranty runs out I'm installing a pile of mods and hitting the track. (until then I have a stupid fast bike I can use for that purpose)

Disclaimer: I really have no idea WTF I'm talking about.
dolt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #82
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
An autobahn would be great, I'd love it. But high speed rail would be safer.
186-220 mph with Internet and a bathroom beats the stress of driving among idiots.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #83
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
American autobahn would be sick.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #84
eggydoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
There was one in Texas for a couple months.
They opened up a new toll road here and did not have speed signs up due to a back order.
People were going 100+mph and no cops. It was advertised on the news as the Texas Autobahn....til they finally posted speed limit signs of 70mph
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote