Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
ripcard
INJACC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/IO 6M
I noticed my blower fan making a squeak/dry bearing noise with the A/C on as well, last Friday. The noise is only apparent on the lower speeds. Since I was close by, I immediately wheeled into the dealer and got the service manager to get in and listen. He confirmed it. Checked for bulletins (none) and went ahead and ordered a replacement. When the new part comes in, he will call to schedule a time for me to bring it in. Hopefully this week.

For those that have this condition try leaving the car running with the A/C on and the fan on low, while you get the service guy. It does take a few minutes for it to reappear after a shut down. It may take tens of minutes after a prolonged shutdown. Hope this helps.
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5s, ZL1 Brakes, 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, BTR Stage II Cam, Fluidampr U/D Pulley, Performance Redline Dyno Tune, CAI & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats, Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax TB, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers & Diffuser, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Door Handles, Tint, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Side Markers, BlackVue dash cam and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
ripcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #16
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Im 99% sure your are hearing the electric engine fans....they turn on and speed up when the AC is on. They are on low or off.....when you turn on the ac, they start spinning at a way higher rpm.
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
If your running the AC with the windows up, use the Recirculate setting. Another member was experiencing this problem awhile ago and it was suggested that it was a humidity issue and to use Recirculation.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #18
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
i have noticed a noise b4,it was affected by the amount of vents that werw closed-more vents closed more high whine-don't know if this is what some might be hearing
its a syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #19
ripcard
INJACC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post
Im 99% sure your are hearing the electric engine fans....they turn on and speed up when the AC is on. They are on low or off.....when you turn on the ac, they start spinning at a way higher rpm.
No. Engine fans kicking in is a totally different sound than what I described.

Easy to confirm. Using the fan speed control: turn it up...squeak frequency goes up, turn it down squeak frequency slows. If you turn it off, you can hear the fan squeaking to a stop.

It is not a loud noise. Just an annoying squeak/chirping sound that can only be heard with the windows up, radio low cruising or idling. My last truck did this at about 8 years old. The fan motor bearing was failing/dry. A new one did the trick.
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5s, ZL1 Brakes, 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, BTR Stage II Cam, Fluidampr U/D Pulley, Performance Redline Dyno Tune, CAI & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats, Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax TB, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers & Diffuser, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Door Handles, Tint, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Side Markers, BlackVue dash cam and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #20
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS View Post
Mine seems to stop when I turn off the recirculate. Only two ways of stopping it for me and that is either turn the blower fan off or the recirculate off. After a few minutes I can turn the recirculate back on until the whining starts and then turn it off again.

To the person suggesting it's the engine cooling fans, I don't see how that can be possible, unless they are putting out excess EMI and it's coupling into the blower fan.
What may be happening if your running the AC with recirculate on and the windows down is your drawing in warm outside air and creating a humid condition. When I have my windows down or cracked I turn the recirculate off, with the windows up I use the recirculate. Give this a try the next time when it`s a very hot or humid day.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Mine does this randomly, but in only one condition. It will have to be in the low setting with the recirculation on. Once I blast it up for a second or two and then return it to a lower setting it's usually gone. It's a god awfully annoying ear peircing noise. I do not drive the car enough to confirm how often this happens to me, but it seems like 1 out of 10 drives so far. If it increases in frequency I'll take it in.
ackeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #22
EagleKeeper

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS
Mine does it as well. It took me a week or two to figure out where the nosie was coming from. Only happens when the AC is on and it sounds like it is coming from the right side. It is a high pitched annoying noise. I am going to drop the car off at the dealership on Friday and see what they have to say.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #23
SHWA

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS L99 A6
Mine too. I can also hear a clicking sound some times so i thought that it might be a fan motor bearing or something like that.
SHWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #24
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post
No. It's definitely the HVAC blower motor.
gblaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #25
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Alright well looks like this is a popular problem. wtf gm.

And whoever keeps saying its the engine fans...gtfo.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #26
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
Alright well looks like this is a popular problem. wtf gm.

And whoever keeps saying its the engine fans...gtfo.
the you obviously know the problem....quit whining and take it in....if its a massive issue...there will be a tsb.....if its what you think it is and so annoying....go complain.
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #27
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
easy broski. ill take it in when i have time to take it in. I work on the road 5 days a week.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #28
ripcard
INJACC

HVAC motor was replaced today under warranty. Only took about an hour. Nice and quiet now.