Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
okie2

Drives: RJT 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Mike View Post
BTW it's SS Mike, not AA Mike. AA Mike sounds like I'm on a 12 step program or somethin, don't want people to get the wrong idea hahahaha
Sorry about that SS Mike. I get a little lazy on the keyboard, and, apparently in proof reading. Edited and corrected. We don't want folks getting the wrong idea.
okie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
okie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
also i would change your rear diff fluid if you havent yet, mine was making a grinding/ moaning every sharp turn or when backing out of my drive way.

new gm synthetic gear lube with additive and the noise went right away
Interesting. You'd think GM would do this, or allow dealers to try this for those with the noise.

If there's no update by Christmas, I'll have some time and I'll change the rear differential fluid. I'm still trying to figure out how that transfers to the brake pedal feel folks are mentioning. But, my wife is getting tired of it and I'm sure she'd appreciate me giving it a try.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #17
71cam

Drives: 71cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Mike View Post
245 isn't that wide, plus I doubt that would affect it at these low speeds. I also highly doubt GM would ever let the car go with the tires coming even close to rubbing on anything even when turned all the way.

I only say this because I thought that's what it was when I first heard/felt this myself in my SS. But when it happened the second, third, fourth time etc., and I felt it IN the brake pedal, I knew it was something else. I hear a noise, I wouldn't describe it as grinding really, it's hard to explain or even duplicate, but I absolutely feel it through the brake pedal. Happens at least every other day when backing out of my driveway, and when I get to work and back into a spot. So I can't say it only happens when it's cold, and it's not rust being as this has happened in summer, fall, rain, or shine. I've actually never noticed it after washing the car when there is rust on the rotors, in fact the car just seems to stop quicker when that bit of rust is there. I haven't taken it in to the dealer though, I'm just accepting it as a normal issue in the system. As long as it only does it when I'm backing up, I'm fine with that.

Oh I also have the Brembo GT kit, so new rotors and calipers. It did this before this kit was installed, and it still does it now with the kit on. Must be something elsewhere within the braking system.

-Mike
245 tires are wide enough. the reason I brought it up is that it is a common normal occurence with the C6 Corvette. I did not mention that the tire would rub, just that it would skip over the pavement. I have an 07 Corvette and mine does it, and I feel it in the brake pedal. it was just a hunch for the Camaro.

Camaro1 changed his rear differential fluid and the grinding/moaning problem when away. I also can say the C6 Corvette has a problem with a grinding noise coming from the rear differential and I had my fluid changed and the problem went away but only for a few weeks. Then it came back. But by doing 8 - 10 hard figure 8's in an empty parking lot, to redistribute the fluid, the problem went away. I do this everytime, the grinding / moaning comes back and I am good to go again.

Just wondering when the low pitch squeak, with a rub, with a grind occurs, can you feel it through the gear shifter, because I do. This may help isolate the problem.

Hopefully by throwing ideas out there one might stick
71cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #18
71cam

Drives: 71cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie2 View Post
71cam - Are you kidding? Let my wife drive my car? Just kidding. Actually, that's a good idea. I'll have her park mine in her spot in the garage and let her back mine out a few times over the holiday break. (While I carefully watch though.)
check the mileage incase she likes your car better!
71cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #19
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cam View Post
245 tires are wide enough. the reason I brought it up is that it is a common normal occurence with the C6 Corvette. I did not mention that the tire would rub, just that it would skip over the pavement. I have an 07 Corvette and mine does it, and I feel it in the brake pedal. it was just a hunch for the Camaro.

Camaro1 changed his rear differential fluid and the grinding/moaning problem when away. I also can say the C6 Corvette has a problem with a grinding noise coming from the rear differential and I had my fluid changed and the problem went away but only for a few weeks. Then it came back. But by doing 8 - 10 hard figure 8's in an empty parking lot, to redistribute the fluid, the problem went away. I do this everytime, the grinding / moaning comes back and I am good to go again.

Just wondering when the low pitch squeak, with a rub, with a grind occurs, can you feel it through the gear shifter, because I do. This may help isolate the problem.

Hopefully by throwing ideas out there one might stick
My bad, I read it wrong, I was reading the post from my iPhone, not my computer

The only reason why I don't think that is the cause, at least in my case, is that I get the noise/feel with any angle on my steering, even straight. With mine it does it for a second or so and then goes away, almost like the brakes are slipping for a quick second.

I agree that with throwing out ideas hopefully one will make sense and seem to fit!! Hopefully we can figure out what it is.

-Mike

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #20
BalogUK
THE architect.

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
SS Mike, I've got the exaaaact same feeling when I reverse in my SS- its almost like a brake line is being snagged on something and something being interrupted?? I can definitely feel it in brake pedal, and this evening's event was clearly audible when my fiancee, in the passenger seat said "whoa, what was that!? doesn't sound right!"...
#34122 EMPTIED, AT YARD ON 8/26/09; Delivered 9/07/09
MODS: Borla ATAK Cat-Back GFX (#140378), 35% Ceramic all-around, CAI, Inc. Intake w/ Scoop, Hurst Short Throw, Heritage Grille, GM Dove Tail, Laser Interceptor Triple v8.9, Passport Max, Pfadt ZL Stage 2
BalogUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #21
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
Its the ABS system doing a check i believe
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #22
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
mine does it when im going forward to a reverse into a space. feels like something is scraping the concrete under the car.

Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #23
okie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpball44 View Post
Its the ABS system doing a check i believe
I like the idea, but that means my wife's car is checking the ABS and mine is not?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #24
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
mine does it too while backing up and turning. It's not consistent though.
rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #25
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
mine does it too while backing up and turning. It's not consistent though.
rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #26
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
I've noticed the same problem in my 1LT Auto. I park in a driveway with a slight incline, which is where I notice it the most. The problem only occurs after being parked for a long period of time (i.e. when the engine/moving parts fall below operating temps); but, unlike other posters, I never hear it when I'm reversing.

I only hear the noise when I'm transitioning out of 1st right after takeoff. I definitely feel vibration in the pedal when it occurs and it's definitely coming from the center-rear of the vehicle.

I've been thinking about calling the dealer regarding the noise; but, I'm afraid of losing my baby for an unknown period of time.
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #27
WICKEDSS
Dan

Drives: THE BEAST
Mine does it every now and then.....I would say that it feels like the ABS is kicking in but mine only does it when im backing up when the wheels turned to the right....The weird thing is it doesnt do it to often now...When i first got the car it would do it every time i backed up and turning now i dont notice it as much.....Any updates from you guys/gals?
WICKEDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #28
tjmac49

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS, IBM, L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
mine does it too on occassion but only when backing up with the wheel turned sharply. It is no big deal. My Cobra replica did it as well and for it fixed with anti moan brackets. But I will not be diong this to my camaro. What it is the rotor flexes and contacts the caliper ever so slightly and causes the "brake moan."
My Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic does the same thing when backing out of my garage with the front wheel turned sharply. It is the brake rotor rubbing the caliper. Different beast, same scenario. Hope this helps.
tjmac49 is offline   Reply With Quote