Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 AM   #1
IRONMAN/SS

Drives: 2000 Nissan Maxima
Question Keeping HER Pristine!?

Hi everyone!

Im only 20yrs of age so not alot of car experience I've owned a 93" sentra and in June of this year I purchased a 08" Sentra with 3 miles on it. When I first got it I was obsessed with keeping it clean, partly because I have a slight version of (OCD) obsessive compulsive disease and i'm that way with all of my prized possessions and partly because I knew that eventually i was going to trade it in for my Camaro and wanted to keep it as fresh as possible in order to get as much value as possible for it.

So my question is, we all have that moment when we slowly stop being so headstrong about keeping our cars clean, I just wanted to know how you guys manage to keep it up?

And also I see all the pics of the 67"s & 69"s in mint condition and I see the 1st gen 'stangs, all the old muscle cars from yesteryear in mint condition. I am determined to be that old guy on my block in the year 2038 who still has his 2010 camaro in tip top shape.

yes it will be my daily driver but I dont do alot of unnecessary driving (but i will the first few weeks) sometime in the near future I'll purchase a winter car. and i take care of whats mine. so just give me some tips on how to keep my future classic pristine.

and does the car cover come standard with the 2SS or do i have to request it? THX GUYS

2SS/RS/ Color /

Love @ 1st sight

Last edited by IRONMAN/SS; 12-18-2008 at 01:46 AM. Reason: forgot something
IRONMAN/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
First, welcome to the site!

Second, car cover is an extra charge....look at the pricing threads and you'll see it goes for about $360 or so...don't recall exact cost off hand.

Third, easiest way to keep a car CLEAN is to not get black...or keep it garaged under a cover! Black is to tough to keep clean.

Fourth...MY personal opinion in keeping the car tip top shape....

....if something gets dented, scratched, dinged, torn, etc, FIX IT THEN. DO NOT wait to fix it another day or you will be looking at 14 things and wondering how you are going to get it all done. YOU keep it in good condition. ...and wash it for crying out loud. I HATE seeing all these nice cars out on the road looking filthy...and don't take it to the do it yourself car wash and use that darn brush that has layers of mud and dirt caked into the bristles.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #3
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
First, welcome to the site!

Second, car cover is an extra charge....look at the pricing threads and you'll see it goes for about $360 or so...don't recall exact cost off hand.

Third, easiest way to keep a car CLEAN is to not get black...or keep it garaged under a cover! Black is to tough to keep clean.

Fourth...MY personal opinion in keeping the car tip top shape....

....if something gets dented, scratched, dinged, torn, etc, FIX IT THEN. DO NOT wait to fix it another day or you will be looking at 14 things and wondering how you are going to get it all done. YOU keep it in good condition. ...and wash it for crying out loud. I HATE seeing all these nice cars out on the road looking filthy...and don't take it to the do it yourself car wash and use that darn brush that has layers of mud and dirt caked into the bristles.
Black is a mutha to keep clean but for a pony car, black just adds to the ferocity. I can't help but to get it. I'm thinking HARD about CGM though..
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:50 AM   #4
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
It's all about corrosion in the end. Everything else is modular or paintable.

Just takes old fashioned elbow grease. Not eating or smoking.

Aye only hand wash with proper non scratch surfaces. Never let someone else or a machine wash your main ride if your trying to keep it in great shape.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
For the paint, these tips should get you started...

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...S&Store_Code=Z

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...S&Store_Code=Z
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
StarkyLuv
Future 5th Gen Owner

Drives: 2006 Chevy Equinox AWD/LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
It's all about corrosion in the end. Everything else is modular or paintable.

Just takes old fashioned elbow grease. Not eating or smoking.

Aye only hand wash with proper non scratch surfaces. Never let someone else or a machine wash your main ride if your trying to keep it in great shape.
You can use a car wash if it's brushless. NEVER use a car wash that has brushes.

Also, there a lots of good detailing places that now how to detail, wash and wax a car to a showroom finish for about $150. If you don't feel like doing it, let professionals do it.
StarkyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
Hey, Garret. How's life at the airplane factory? I take it you use Zaino products. Is it really exceptional compared to more conventional brands like Meguiar's? I've just started using Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer on the 350Z, and I think it does give the clearcoat a wet look - nice. But if there's better for my SS......
Old 12-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Welcome!

I detail cars on the side; shoot me a PM and I'll guide you through the products and process.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
2010 Camaro Dude

Drives: 1964 Impala SS, 1969 ElCamino
I have several old mucle cars 1969 Camaro RS/Z-28, 1969 ElCamino SS and a 1964 Impala SS. Believe me most of the cars you see were not in the great condition you see them in when bought by the new owner. I also have a 2002 Camaro SS I don't drive it much and take very good care of it but I don't think it will last 25 years.
2010 Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Easy. Don't drive it. Otherwise, no matter how much car and attention you give it, it is going to deteriorate to some degree. That's just the way it is. Personally, I drive my cars and have no desire to have a garage queen.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
IRONMAN/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Easy. Don't drive it. Otherwise, no matter how much car and attention you give it, it is going to deteriorate to some degree. That's just the way it is. Personally, I drive my cars and have no desire to have a garage queen.
LOL like thats gonna happen! but yeah i know it wont stay perfect but just want to keep it in shape as possible. by the time i get mine i'll be in the police academy and once i graduate i'll be doin alot of speedin' guessing that i'll be exempt from getting any tickets. so its gonna get driven, but it'll be in good hands.

thx

Love @ 1st sight
Old 12-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #12
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Drive it, dont let water leak in and sit anywhere in the car(rust), try not to park under trees,the leaves collect in the cowl and under the hood(more rust) and park it out of the sunlight if possible to keep the interior and plastic parts from fading.

Clean out the dirt and leaves behind the fenders, every GM with steel fenders has rot from that.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #13
IRONMAN/SS

will do!

Love @ 1st sight
Old 12-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #14
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
I agree, and to "echo" 'garagelogics' sentiments, no matter how hard you try to protect your vehicle, "stuff" will happen.

Heck, walk around a dealer lot and look at the "new" cars; the paint already has the dreaded "swirl marks", water spots, etc.! As an example, the local Ford dealer has had a Shelby mustang sitting on the lot, brand new, for the better part of a year - the reason - there is already a 3" scratch in the front fender, which the dealer has tried to fix with little success. The car also show swirls and water marks.

Drive your car. Thats what they're for, enjoying. Just do your part to the best of your abilities to maintain their appearance.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote