Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
IsaacRN

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
Engine Detail

Would anyone happen to have a picture of everything that needs to be wrapped for an engine detail on the V8? I want to clean up my engine bay, considering I live in the desert and sand/dust is overtaking the area. I just don't want to encounter any problems when I introduce the water.
IsaacRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Modern engine bays are pretty water resistant so theres not much concern so long as you use more of a mist and not a hard stream of water.

If you have an open element air filter cover that with a plastic bag or some aluminum foil. Other than that theres no concern at all to introducing water for cleaning purposes.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
IsaacRN

Thanks Dylan. I have two boxes of Adams goodies that I want to put into use today. I have one other question. I am thinking of doing full detail wash today with claying, and garaging the car and doing the whole polishing tomorrow. Do you think it will be necessary to do a waterless wash in the morning, or will I be ok just to start polishing?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacRN View Post
Thanks Dylan. I have two boxes of Adams goodies that I want to put into use today. I have one other question. I am thinking of doing full detail wash today with claying, and garaging the car and doing the whole polishing tomorrow. Do you think it will be necessary to do a waterless wash in the morning, or will I be ok just to start polishing?
I'd do the WW. Not worth the risk of something settling in on your paint over night and you whipping it across the paint at 5000 opm.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
IsaacRN

Hopefully my car looks like yours after I am done. I have the Ash Gray, and hope for a pop like what you have
Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Hopefully my car looks like yours after I am done. I have the Ash Gray, and hope for a pop like what you have
It will. It's not as hard as a lot of people make it seem.

Which last step product are you planning on using?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
2ss2012

Drives: 2012 2ss ahen grey
Ashen Grey is an awesome color ! I have one myself.

2ss2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
IsaacRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
It will. It's not as hard as a lot of people make it seem.

Which last step product are you planning on using?
I was going to do the Brilliant Glaze followed by the Americana Wax. Do you have a suggestion?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
I was going to do the Brilliant Glaze followed by the Americana Wax. Do you have a suggestion?
You're doing the Machine Super Sealant before, I assume?

If you're staying in that product line, then no. I'm not a huge fan of Carnuabas on metallic paint, but a lot of people like it. I personally like that absurd reflective property you get from a synthetic sealant as opposed to the warmer glow you get with a Carnuaba. If it were me, I'd do the MSS, wait 24 hours, do a layer of the glaze, and stop there.

However, I understand you just spent $70 on a tub of wax and you'd probably like to use it

Just my $.02
Old 05-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
IsaacRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You're doing the Machine Super Sealant before, I assume?

If you're staying in that product line, then no. I'm not a huge fan of Carnuabas on metallic paint, but a lot of people like it. I personally like that absurd reflective property you get from a synthetic sealant as opposed to the warmer glow you get with a Carnuaba. If it were me, I'd do the MSS, wait 24 hours, do a layer of the glaze, and stop there.

However, I understand you just spent $70 on a tub of wax and you'd probably like to use it

Just my $.02

Well the wax was part of the package, so i didn't necessarily buy it specifically. I will be doing the whole adams line of polishes so super sealant will be in the mix. I am really stocked to get this going. Its going to have to wait till next week though.

I was also wondering, could I just use waterless wash for door jams? how do you go about cleaning the door jams.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07

You can use WW if you want. However, for my DD, what I do is I have a large "junk" microfiber from Walmart that I use for the door jambs, inside the trunk, and engine bay. Every time I wash the car, I dry the paint like normal then use that junk mf to wipe the areas I mentioned. There's enough water already in there that it cleans it nicely. If you do this every time you wash, it never gets a chance to get dirty.

I wouldn't do this if it was a show car because obviously you are introducing some damage by using crap microfiber and wiping dust, but on a DD it's perfect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
IsaacRN

I figured as much. I just seem to have a bit of dirt collecting on the plastic pieces in the hinges. So I didn't know how easily it would come off with just water and a junk microfiber.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:

I was also wondering, could I just use waterless wash for door jams? how do you go about cleaning the door jams.
Yep... thats what I use on my door jambs every single wash... works great. I usually do it as I'm drying the car since there will be some water in there anyways.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote