Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
markas214

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS L99 SIM convertible
Tonneau

My 2SS came with a tonneau cover but on the occassions wher I drive without it and see the top flapping in the breeze it seems that this should be included with every vert as standard equipment. These tops really flap in the wind terribly.
markas214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Danimal

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS
yes and if you ruin your rag top by not using it GM Warranty is not going to cover it either.
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
yes and if you ruin your rag top by not using it GM Warranty is not going to cover it either.
That's not true.. Not all verts come with a tonneau cover as standard equipment. GM just replaced my top and I have never had a tonneau cover. Whether you use the cover or not is not a deciding factor if GM will fix the top or not.

But yes, if you have the tonneau cover, you really should use it as it will help with the top wear.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
On my previous car that was bought back due to top problems the service manager said I must of put it down wet and that is why I have holes. Then he said I should just use the cover that comes with the car. I corrected him and said it only comes on the 2LT and 2SS standard. Not the 1SS like I have. He didn't believe me and looked it up. Yep I was right and he was wrong. My current 1SS doesn't have one either. Never would use it anyway. In my 14 years with my 95 Firebird Vert I put the cover on about 5 times. It was still like new when I sold the car.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
On my previous car that was bought back due to top problems the service manager said I must of put it down wet and that is why I have holes. Then he said I should just use the cover that comes with the car. I corrected him and said it only comes on the 2LT and 2SS standard. Not the 1SS like I have. He didn't believe me and looked it up. Yep I was right and he was wrong. My current 1SS doesn't have one either. Never would use it anyway. In my 14 years with my 95 Firebird Vert I put the cover on about 5 times. It was still like new when I sold the car.
95birdible,
the only problem is the design on the 5th gens...at least with your '95 the top sat way down when open and probably did not flap in the wind.

the tech that replaced my top,said I should use my tonneau at highway speeds and don't worry about it too much around town.If he is right, the covers should be standard issue but as we know they are not..probably more gm bean counter b.s.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I use my tonneau if I know the top will be down for an extended time or if driving any distance at speeds exceeding 50mph. I always use it in the fall or in the early spring when there is a lot of things flying through the air like leaves, acorns, maple tree seeds etc, I don't want that crap getting into the water bag and plugging up the drain holes.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hworth18 View Post
That's not true.. Not all verts come with a tonneau cover as standard equipment. GM just replaced my top and I have never had a tonneau cover. Whether you use the cover or not is not a deciding factor if GM will fix the top or not.

But yes, if you have the tonneau cover, you really should use it as it will help with the top wear.
That is correct,

The warranty covers defects found in materials or workmanship following a certified GM dealership's diagnosis. The frequency of use would not apply in that circumstance.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Actually on the 4th gens the top folded back onto itself on the first bow so it essentially was a cover for the rest if the top. And it did sit lower and had its own separate well unlike the 5th gens.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
With my 2011, I am afraid that the cover will blow off over 45 mph. Has anyone had this happen?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #10
WoodyBldr31

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS Convertible
Yes at 60mph. The 2012/13 design is much better with the bungee cord design.
WoodyBldr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I use my tonneau if I know the top will be down for an extended time or if driving any distance at speeds exceeding 50mph. I always use it in the fall or in the early spring when there is a lot of things flying through the air like leaves, acorns, maple tree seeds etc, I don't want that crap getting into the water bag and plugging up the drain holes.
+1 +1 +1
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote