Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
RankSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
ZL1 Diff Install

I completed my ZL1 diff install with the stock Zl1 axles, a DSS one piece aluminum drive shaft and the HE offset diff bushings.
Here are the pros and a couple minor cons.

Pros:

- Peace of mind knowing I have a strong drive line.
- The 3.73 gear ratio is just better all around
- Car feels lighter even though it is heavier
- Posi works like it should
- Axle angles are optimal

Cons:

- Hollow drive shaft transmits a bit more noise but no vibration
- A hammer is your only friend when making that big diff fit with the offset bushings but totally worth it.

Overall a great mod for 3 grand total and a day in the shop.

P.S. Thanks to Hendrix Engineering and Blownfogger
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
RankSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
Delrin bushings are transmitting the noise not the driveshaft.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
RankSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Delrin bushings are transmitting the noise not the driveshaft.
Lets just say they both contribute.
The noise I am talking about is a clicking from the backlash when shifting at slow speeds.
2010 Camaro SS RS, Maggie with 3.4" pulley, 60# injectors, ADM dual fuel pumps, ADM Stage 2 Cam with Brian Tooley springs and pushrods, black CAI intake, Stainless Works long tube headers w/gutted cats, ZL1 Diff w/offset bushings, Pfadt lowering springs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt solid sub frame mounts, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Hurst short throw shifter, Painted on Hugger Orange stripes, Forgestar F14 Piano Black wheels, Nitto NT05 rubber.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
I did the swap 2 weeks ago with the blowfogger diff and the HE offset bushings, toe rods, trailing arms, solid subframe bushings, BMR upper control arms, DSS 1 piece CF driveshaft, DSS axles, and did the FE4 conversion with a detroit sway bar.

I have a ton of noises coming from the rear. I have some whine, some groaning when I turn, etc..... I am changing the fluid out from Gibbs (which was suggested by a forum sponsor) to the GM fluid and going to add more FM if it doesn't quiet down.

I believe I am experiencing the same "clicking" you are. I, and the builder, assumed it was from the diff hitting the subframe. It had clearance when on the lift and even on the ground. But under load it's obviously different.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #5
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
Mine "groaned" when i turned also. Added some extra limited slip fluid and it went away.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
RankSS

I believe the clicking is the backlash of the diff. Normally the rubber drive shaft isolators would calm that. I have lots of clearance in the subframe as I removed it completely for the install. The diff has no way to move around with the delrin bushings so I doubt the clicking is from that.
I also have a little whine on decel but I don't care this diff rocks!