Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #449
FurySS
Furious Shine

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
OK, somebody shoot me! Just finish giving the first coat of base and it now looks so much better than the passenger side. This is going to bother me till I break down and do the other one
Sure does! I actually just ordered IOM in a spray can along with clear. I plan to mask everything off best as possible and try to do better than the "barely one coat of base color" from the factory. My primary concern is the strut towers and from the hood latch area going up to the cowl. I know it would be much easier if I remove the engine, but that's not going to happen (unless I get a free 427 to put back in)
FurySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #450
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
Quote:
I guess I'll have to wait til I see what I'm doing about hood hinges, fuse box, etc. I looking to remove the fuse box bracket and doing something different. Thanks to NC-V.
Excited to see what you're going to do about the hood hinges . I've got a couple ideas I'm going to look into Monday or Tuesday and shoot you an e-mail.
-Kyle
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #451
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
I can already tell that you will be getting the billet hinges, grinding off the old hood strut bracket, grinding off the fuse box bracket, and making that strut tower baby-butt smooth. That driver side one looks sweet!

The AC pump wasn't bad getting out. You may receive the when I put it back in. Actually, it might not be that difficult, but a little worried about finding the right person to charge it back up properly. I'll try to get some photos of it. Satin black isn't the easiest thing to photograph.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #452
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
OK, somebody shoot me! Just finish giving the first coat of base and it now looks so much better than the passenger side. This is going to bother me till I break down and do the other one

Were is that Paul guy? I need to talk to him

Here a couple of the original for reference....

and.....

I guess I'll have to wait til I see what I'm doing about hood hinges, fuse box, etc. I looking to remove the fuse box bracket and doing something different. Thanks to NC-V.
Here I am, what did I do? Nathan, your project has taken on a life of its own, I am guessing even you did not see it going this far. That drivers side tower does look sweet!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #453
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Paul, you know it's all in love, LOL. Somebody made a post about loving all the Camaro5 members and i agree!

This little guys "" seems to be the running joke around here.

By the way, I haven't forgot about creating the index on the OP, I will be working on it. Will also need to update the parts list. Thanks for the suggestion.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #454
Moreno1

Did the frame rail this morning. I really wish I could just pull the engine. This way I could really finish everything as I'd like to. But like Paul said above, I really wasn't planning on going this far. So mentally I'm just not prepared to spend the time it would take. I'm sure 572HP relates. Once I'm done, I'll take a mental break and plan for a redo at a later date.

What happens is that you get one thing done and then it makes everything else look like crap. Next thing you know, your..... oh my gosh, I must be crazy.

Here a good example, I figured if the ac was already disconnected and I'm going to pay $50 to $75 to get it recharged, I might as well take advantage and clean up the hose.

Here a few before shots.....

And a progress shot.

Unfortunately, I've have to attend a meeting, so I can't finish it today. Go to go, see ya.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #455
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

I sprayed mine in place with black caliper paint. Looks decent. Not as good as yours!

I'm looking for alternator bolts. We need (2) 140mm M10x1.5, (1) 95mm M10x1.5, and (1) Nut M10x1.5. That is in addition to the long stud. So far, I can only find the nut from ARP. I'm sure that the 90mm would work, but the longest bolt that they sell is 100mm. I guess I'll just be painting them, and touching them up once installed.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #456
FurySS
Furious Shine

Drives: None
Quote:

Here a good example, I figured if the ac was already disconnected and I'm going to pay $50 to $75 to get it recharged, I might as well take advantage and clean up the hose.

And a progress shot.

Unfortunately, I've have to attend a meeting, so I can't finish it today. Go to go, see ya.
Looks great Nathan - I was just looking at those hoses today and wondered if they would polish up! I bought a polishing kit for the drill from Harbor Freight I planned to use on the fuel lines - did you need to use Scotchbrite or Sandpaper on those lines?
FurySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #457
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
I sprayed mine in place with black caliper paint. Looks decent. Not as good as yours!

Need pics, your holding out on us, LOL

I'm looking for alternator bolts. We need (2) 140mm M10x1.5, (1) 95mm M10x1.5, and (1) Nut M10x1.5. That is in addition to the long stud. So far, I can only find the nut from ARP. I'm sure that the 90mm would work, but the longest bolt that they sell is 100mm. I guess I'll just be painting them, and touching them up once installed.
I'm calling ARP tomorrow to get part #'s. I'll post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Indy Pace View Post
Looks great Nathan - I was just looking at those hoses today and wondered if they would polish up! I bought a polishing kit for the drill from Harbor Freight I planned to use on the fuel lines - did you need to use Scotchbrite or Sandpaper on those lines?

Indy, it's hard to tell from the pictures how bad they really are. There's a lot of marks from the machine that bends, gouges from the crimper, scuffs, etc..... In order to get rid of them and leave a smooth finish, I had to hit them with 120, 220, 320, 400 and then 600. Once I had a really clean surface, I used the gray scotchbrite.

Oh, they will polish really nice if you wanted to, almost like chrome. Post some pics when you're done.

Last edited by Moreno1; 03-05-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #458
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
I'm calling ARP tomorrow to get part #'s. I'll post them.
I didn't realize that they carried other parts that aren't in their catalog. Let me know what you find out.

I tried taking pics of the satin black ac pump, but I couldn't get anything to turn out except a black blob.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #459
platinum ss
Brandon Gilpin

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS / 2014 Fiesta ST
Quote:

You'd be surprise how much you can do for about $100.

Replace heater hoses with some basic hose $20

Replace and relocate both EVAC hoses with basic vacuum hoses for $2.00

Relocate ground cable: $13.00

Replace fuel line: $80

Flip factory fuel rail: Free

Throw clam shell in garbage when flip fuel rail: Free

Paint throttle body with Dupli-Color i color of choice $7.00

Just a little attention to detail = huge difference in appearance.

Hope that helps.

PS, I'm replacing the 2012 heater hose I have with
Aeromotive hoses. So I'll have some that might be really cheap for you when I'm done......like free cheap. I'll keep you posted.

cool thx
2011 Camaro 1SS Platinum ed. ls3 k&n CAI, BBK LT's, MBRP Cat Back, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Camshaft, Melling oil pump, Norris Catch Can, dyno tuned By AGP Speed & Custom, msd coils, taylor cables, Vmax ported throttle body, strut brace, eibach springs, hurst ST shifter.

Black on black, Private forged wheels, Oracle side marker lights, black tail light bezels, 3D Carbon body kit
platinum ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #460
1FAST SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Man, this thread is crazy. I follow it everyday like it was a reality show.

CAI Cold Air Induction, ADM Race Scoop, Apex Washer Bottle Kit, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Cam, DOD/VVT delete and LS3 conversion, American Racing LT Headers, American Racing Headers Off Road pipes, Borla S-Type Catback, FTI Billet Triple Disk 3600 rpm Torque Converter, DSS Aluminium Drive Shaft, AAC Plasma DRL's, Showstopper LED Sidemarkers,Carbon FIber Bow Ties, 35% Window Tint, Llyod's Floor Mats, JBL MS-8 Sound Processor, 2 Alpine PDX-1.600, Alpine PDX-4.100, JL Audio C5-650, JL Audio C5-650x, Alpine T10 Type R Shallow Mount, Stinger Dry Cell Battery
1FAST SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #461
Moreno1

Finished the AC line.

Few shots...

And a before for contrast

Notice that casting seem is no longer there.

I'm replacing the two bolts and one nuts with ARPs. It's all in the details.

I wounder how much weight the car has lost just from all the metal I've sanded off, LOL. And some of you guys thought I was just crazy. Didn't realized I the real reason I was doing all of this is to put the car on a diet.

I'm starting to see double, going to sleep, I'm beat.

Last edited by Moreno1; 03-06-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #462
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

The lines sure look sweet! I'm still hoping to see all of this in person next month. 6 weeks till I'm out there. You better find a stopping point...that second strut tower is gonna take some time.