Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #1
Aussie ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 manual RHD
Safety Concern -e brake

Hi guys,

I'm currently laid up in bed with a swollen knee and minor lacerations from wher my ZL1's E brake self released on an incline and tried to run me over before smashing into the front of my wife's car.

I had just been behind the car to take a photo of the tinted tail lights and reserve lights that I had installed today when I noticed the door was open so I moved to close it. As I rounded the RHS rear, I heard a "boing" and the car began to roll at a fair pace as my drive way is not flat. I got collected by the door as I dived in to try and pull the E brake and was knocked over and dragged by the car....

Here's the damage to my wife's car.... You can see the cookie cutter imprints of the ZL1's exhaust tips on the lower section of the bumper.

I'm not showing the ZL1's rear bumper as it makes me sick just thinking about it....

Now before you say it must have been something in the conversion, all the e brake components and locations are unchanged from standard ZL1.

I have had the lever "pop" once or twice if I lean on it when I get out which made me go "Hmmmmmmm..."

What happened this time was I pulled up and applied the e brake when hill assist was active and when the hill assist came off, the ebrake wasn't on enough and the car started to roll slightly, so I pulled on a bit tighter.
The engine was still running, so the car was in neutral.

Then as I said earlier I got out of the car to take a photo of the rear and as I moved away from the rear, I heard the ebrake lever disengage on its own ( no one else there) and the car began to roll....

I sat in the car for awhile ( trying not to bleed on the alcantara) to re inact what happened.

Hears a recreation of what happened that I filmed. Though the ebrake only came off a couple of notches here. In the near death experience, it came off nearly half...

http://youtu.be/aQrPx-CJds8

I don't know what is going on here, but it is a major concern...
I know GM doesn't support grey exports, but I will be raising it with them directly. I could have got killed.

I've been driving GM cars for 35 years and I've never had this happen before.

Anyhow, time for some more pain pills....

Cheers

Brad
Old 01-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Sorry to hear this and hope you get it fixed, I use mine often and never had an issue.

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
I would start with taking handle apart and see if there is a spring or something not engaging all the way. If anything I'd replace the handle unit as a whole. All locking is done inside the car and cables, brakes etc... outside shouldn't have anything to do with the handle staying locked. Also make sure you aren't pressing the button when pulling up on the handle. This can cause a partial engagement of the locking mechanism. Sorry you and your cars got banged up...hope you recover quickly
Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Scary!!! Hope you are not seriously hurt.

Lesson from this is never rely on the emergency brake. On a flat surface the parking brake keeps the car from rolling but it is never intended to hold a car on an incline. (On a manual car it should be in gear but I saw you said it was running.)

Always chock your car people if you are in a situation like this. A simple piece of wood behind one rear tire could have prevented this from happening. (Ideally both tires chocked and "real" tire chocks.)

This is like working under a car that is jacked up without a jack stand. Tons of people die every year doing that.

Everyone be safe.

Edit added a random link of an example. Very cheap piece of safety equipment.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...FShk7AodJDoAXw

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI

Last edited by BlackinBlack; 01-07-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added Link
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
Aussie ZL1

Hmmmm... I've done a bit of "Google Mining" and it seems that there are a heap of us out there with crashed cars from e brake failures.
Here's a brief sample:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216178
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88288
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36160
http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/5th-generation-camaro-news-general-discussion/36143-emergency-brake-problem.html
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119490
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194380

So it looks like all of us M6 owners should be carrying chocks.
Like used to have to do in my Humvee...

Cheers

Brad
Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
I tell you I had a leather sleeve and leather boot put on mine, and it acts weird now. It wants to Not catch when I set the brake. I have always thought something was unsettling about the e-brake, and I feel it is not the safest but I have no idea why.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
Aussie ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
I tell you I had a leather sleeve and leather boot put on mine, and it acts weird now. It wants to Not catch when I set the brake. I have always thought something was unsettling about the e-brake, and I feel it is not the safest but I have no idea why.
Yeah,that's exactly how I felt... Uneasy.
The e brake lever is unchanged on my RHD conversion, so the handle is beside my LH leg. So the temptation is to use it a little as an assist handle when getting out of the vehicle. I can't tell you how many times it has slipped "one click" when I've put some load on it.....

Cheers
Old 01-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
The same thing happened to me several times in my 02' SS. Not the near death part just the ebrake part. I had a close call once though when the ebrake went boing on me too. Ive learned that no matter how long you will be out of the car especially on a slight incline or driveway, i turn the car off and put it in gear.

I hope you get well soon and figure out this problem.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
I wonder if this has happened to me too. I have been parking on a steep hill for years, when I visit my parents house. I have always set the E-brake firmly when parked there. One afternoon I came out to the car and it had rolled down hill until the wheels had come to rest on a curbside. At the time, I was wondering how I could have forgotten to set the ebrake tightly, but now I wonder if it had released while parked. The Car was in 3rd gear when it rolled downhill.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
Misterleeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
I wonder if this has happened to me too. I have been parking on a steep hill for years, when I visit my parents house. I have always set the E-brake firmly when parked there. One afternoon I came out to the car and it had rolled down hill until the wheels had come to rest on a curbside. At the time, I was wondering how I could have forgotten to set the ebrake tightly, but now I wonder if it had released while parked. The Car was in 3rd gear when it rolled downhill.
Third gear ?

You either want first or reverse.
Misterleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterleeman View Post
Third gear ?

You either want first or reverse.
+1

I use reverse.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #12
VegasZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28
I've had this happen but I was still in the car when it let go so no damage was done...
VegasZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote