Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #85
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Back about 10yrs ago , I bought my dream car since I was a child .. I bought a 2008 997 911 turbo cobalt blue 6-speed manual awd . When I finally got her home it was all about keeping here Prestien. I did everything from winterizing to never parking it at a store and if I did it would be far away from haters ..
it got to the point I had to watch my friends when they were in it with me lol I mean I see now I took it too far . Then starting to mod it is when I found out About the “porsche tax” I mean 4500 for a tubi exhaust which is tad bit bigger than a street bike exhaust was ridiculous lol I ended up going with a s6 package from sharkwerx.. any way long story short I ended up selling the car . I remember the day I sold it I was overwhelmed with the feeling that I wish that I had driven it harder . Also though recollecting back I was really uncomfortable in that car , I was too afraid to mess it up . Although today, I still can’t break the fact that I am anal about my cars that I love , I am working on being able to enjoy my car more persay .that doesn’t mean I’m gonna be stupid about it tho . My though it getting it ready to take on the elements . Like clear car cover for the high impact areas let’s face it the new paint they use sucks now a days .
Adding zl addons so that I can jack the cat up and clean the rims , I do love the fact that gm started to finally put in more of a corse type of leather than that smooth stuff they been using lol..

By the time I sold my Porsche only had 30k on the clock . Anyways just like anything your gotta pay to play lol
Even with clear car cover on I still wouldn’t bring my car out in spring way too many rocks in the ground .

With only 18k on the clock and not being able to drive the z before as I bought it few weeks back I’m ansty as hell!! When it gets too bad I’ll drive around the block or soo still can’t activate boost!! Fml
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #86
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Your wearin that car out! My lord drive it!
I wish I had more time to enjoy it. I never use any of my stuff, that being said im getting a C8 ZO6 that I won't use much either.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #87
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
I don't daily my Z mainly due to the fact I would like to avoid as much damage to her as possible... During the winter months here in NEPA, the amount of antiskid left on the roads and shoulders is just asking to be kicked up by tractor trailers directly at my paint and windshield.... some will argue its just paint or a windshield and can it be repaired/replaced.... that's all well in good, but if I can avoid that nonsense and costly repairs I'm going to do so. If I planned on selling my car after a number of years, I wouldn't be so anal, but I intend on keeping this one for good. During the spring, summer, and fall though my car is enjoyed to the fullest.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #88
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Well I have a bad story to tell. First you guys that are really anal about your cars are no worse than I am. I really love this ZL1 I have and I am just like you guys I watch where I park when I drive it and wash it and keep it extremely clean but I got caught in a mess. It was a pretty day so I have a friend who lives about 110 miles from me so I decided to drive my Z to go see him. I got about 60 miles from home and it is a 2 lane road with cars ahead of me and behind me and what do I see? The hiway dept had just oiled the road and chipped it. Most of the time when they do this it is only a quarter of a mile or so but this turned out to be at least 5 miles if not more. The damn 18 wheelers were coming toward me throwing rocks and cars were also driving 60 mph plus and I could hear rocks hitting my car like crazy. Cars behind me were honking cause I slowed down to 20 mph trying not to sling gravel on my car. Now I know your going to wonder why I did not pull off the road and I did so some of the cars behind me could go around but when they did they floored their vehicles and made it worse. I looked forever to find a place to turn around but I kept thinking it has to end anytime but it did not. After I got through it and got to my friends home I looked at my car. It did a number on it! Windshield and down the sides and front of the car looked like you lived on a gravel road and drove on it everyday. So now it is at a body shop and the insurance is paying to repair all of that under my comp. This made me sick I almost threw up but it will be really nice when these guys get done with it as they are the best in my country. Now when its done I guess I will be like some of you guys and it will become a garage queen and only drive it when I need to only go to town and back.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #89
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
That stinks, Bigtime! (hey, I made a pun!)

In all seriousness, I'm really sorry you got caught in that mess. I remember the way I felt when I got t-boned last year. Almost puked, too.

But, it got fixed, it looks pretty good, I'm the only one who can see the things that aren't 100% perfect. I also got a good diminished value payout (read, "mod money"). On top of that, it's already tainted on carfax now, so I have no excuse not to drive it like I stole it for the next 150k.

Hang in there! It sounds like you have it at a great shop. It'll look like new in no time.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #90
Bigtime53

My first Z that I ordered I crashed it and took it to this same body shop and when it left there you could not say it ever was damaged. It had 27k in damages to. I was offered a damn good price for it and like you say it was on the car fax that it had been crashed so I knew it would never bring what he offered me so I sold it. I have had 4 since then and this one I have now is the one I like the best. After I get it back I will run a car fax on it and see if it shows this car has had a insurance claim on it. I hope it don't.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:24 AM   #91
zman1969

Drives: 1969 R/S Z28 302 m20 Endura
'15 used car has 10,600 so far on it
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:45 AM   #92
12oclockshadow

Drives: 2012 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Well I have a bad story to tell. First you guys that are really anal about your cars are no worse than I am. I really love this ZL1 I have and I am just like you guys I watch where I park when I drive it and wash it and keep it extremely clean but I got caught in a mess. It was a pretty day so I have a friend who lives about 110 miles from me so I decided to drive my Z to go see him. I got about 60 miles from home and it is a 2 lane road with cars ahead of me and behind me and what do I see? The hiway dept had just oiled the road and chipped it. Most of the time when they do this it is only a quarter of a mile or so but this turned out to be at least 5 miles if not more. The damn 18 wheelers were coming toward me throwing rocks and cars were also driving 60 mph plus and I could hear rocks hitting my car like crazy. Cars behind me were honking cause I slowed down to 20 mph trying not to sling gravel on my car. Now I know your going to wonder why I did not pull off the road and I did so some of the cars behind me could go around but when they did they floored their vehicles and made it worse. I looked forever to find a place to turn around but I kept thinking it has to end anytime but it did not. After I got through it and got to my friends home I looked at my car. It did a number on it! Windshield and down the sides and front of the car looked like you lived on a gravel road and drove on it everyday. So now it is at a body shop and the insurance is paying to repair all of that under my comp. This made me sick I almost threw up but it will be really nice when these guys get done with it as they are the best in my country. Now when its done I guess I will be like some of you guys and it will become a garage queen and only drive it when I need to only go to town and back.
I know exactly what your talking about here as I've had a similar experience only difference being it wasn't a special car just a daily at the time. What I don't understand is how they allow road traffic before that s*** dries and hardens. They should be at fault for vehicle damages. I guarantee you were't the only one pissed that day.
Glad to hear you have it at a good shop for repairs. I know my black ZL1 maintains pristine condition 90% of the time. Nothing better than a black car all shined up
Old 01-31-2020, 11:25 AM   #93
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Quote:
They use that garbage all over the place where I live.... it's a cost cutting measure to preserve roads until they can be resurfaced/reconstructed. Problem is, they don't sweep it properly after applying the chip. Normally they place signs (no pavement markings) and reflectors prior to applying it, so I learn those roads and avoid them until the entire process is over.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:32 PM   #94
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
2014 ZL1
Bought used with 8400 miles, not a speck of dirt anywhere.
Price edited out to make Bigtime53 happy.

Last edited by FasNuf; 01-31-2020 at 05:19 PM.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:01 PM   #95
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
2014 ZL1
Bought used with 8400 miles, not a speck of dirt anywhere.
$35,900

Not the place to sell here
Put this in the For Sale section and leave more detail about it someone will buy it.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #96
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Put this in the For Sale section and leave more detail about it someone will buy it.

I am thinking that's what he paid for it.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #97
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Funny, I'm not selling it! Just answering the OP original question. Tell ya what, How bout if I just edit my post? Will that work for ya?
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:08 PM   #98
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
Funny, I'm not selling it! Just answering the OP original question. Tell ya what, How bout if I just edit my post? Will that work for ya?
Well excuse me! It sure looked like to me you put a price on it like that is what you wanted for it. You made your point. So yes if you want to edit it be my guest.