Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #29
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama 2SS/RS View Post
This is what my best guess at what the noise was, but would it still make that sound periodically when the car is switched off and no one is adjusting the ventilation system controls? That's the part that didn't make sense to me. I expect some noise for the dampers to reposition when changing the HVAC controls, but I wouldn't expect it when the car was off and when not adjusting the controls. The sound I'm hearing sounds more like an electric motor, though, not the hiss of some vacuum operated damper system. I was originally thinking it might be some type of positive pressure control system for the dampers, and that the sound might be some small air pump pressurizing the system, but that might be a bit of a stretch. I definitely agree it's no cause for alarm, though, I was just curious.

I don't think this would rule out HVAC system stuff, but last night I checked the noise again to see if I could narrow it down further. To me, it seems like it's coming from behind the gauge cluster, and might be the HUD. I know the HUD has some servo motors to adjust it up and down, could the HUD be running itself up and down periodically to test something? Seems odd that it would do it so frequently, though, if that's what it is, because it does it every few minutes.

Has anyone else on here heard the noise that doesn't have a HUD?
I think when the car is turned off and starts powering down the vents either close or change back to the default position. I thought they might close to keep out potentially unwanted air while you are gone, or at least some. Its trying to keep it how you left it.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #30
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Not the HUD as my 2010 does it, and if it's the air ducts diverting why does it do this at all times with no interaction from the driver? The first time I noticed it I was sitting in the car waiting for someone with everything off but the radio and after 10 minutes I started hearing it. I even killed the radio, opened and closed the driver side door and sat for a good 5 to 10 minutes and heard it. It would whirr twice, a long delay and then whirr twice again. It did this almost the entire time I was waiting and had me worried my dash ABL (which was off) had shorted or something. Then all of the sudden it stopped. Now I hear it sometimes while other times I don't. I believe it is SOMETHING the car is supposed to be doing but don't think it's the ducts positioning as it's never prompted by me changing anything with climate controls.
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #31
Bama 2SS/RS

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9.8m/s/s View Post
yup its not the HUD
Damn...there goes my latest guess, then.
Bama 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #32
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
heard this too but its random and i cant simulate it at will or figure out exactly where it comes from. id say it comes from behind the gauge cluster and seems to happen when ive been sitting in the car parked. when my friends ask me what that was i just tell em the car is getting ready to transform.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #33
D Day Dog

Drives: 2011 1SS Imperial Blue Metallic
It's coming from the dash you say? Hmm... Initially it sounded from your post like maybe it was the AC turning on and off or a fan in your heating/cooling system - but you're saying the dash. Could be something that comes on the measure climate for your heating or cooling. I've had sounds like that come in other cars and, although annoying, did nothing to hurt or hinder the vehicle.

Just turn up the volume on your radio.
D Day Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #34
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Yes, I hear this sound most of the time when turning my car on. With all of my fuel injected vehicles, I always turn the key and listen for the fuel pump to stop priming before cranking the engine. With this car, I've found that after I turn the key to the on position, it makes this noise in the dash for longer than any fuel pump on any vehicle I've owned. Once the noise stops, though, I crank it. I've found that if the car is off for about 10 minutes or less, it doesn't make the sound when I turn it on. I haven't noticed it make it after shut off, though, but I don't doubt it: My dad has reported similar instances on his newer cars, and they are BMWs.

HEre is what I suspect, and I could be way off, this is just a theory. I always thought of the noise as coming from the back of the engine, not the dash. I think that with all the EPA regulations and crap out there, the fuel system is priming before you start the car, then, when shut off for 10 or 20 minutes, it is draining the lines of fuel.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #35
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Update, you all got me wondering, so I tried googleing a bit. I found a few different theories on different newer cars, including secondary water pumps, O2 sensor tests, brake tests, and more. It seems that our cars are not the only ones that do this, but no one really knows for sure. Which points me in the direction of something that is mandated, therefore most likely having to do with safety or emissions.

I found this thread: http://jaguarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48616

I don't know exactly what it is doing, but I'd bet it has something to do with fuel, whether priming and draining like I mention above, or ventilation, or who knows.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #36
Bama 2SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrenthus View Post
Yes, I hear this sound most of the time when turning my car on. With all of my fuel injected vehicles, I always turn the key and listen for the fuel pump to stop priming before cranking the engine. With this car, I've found that after I turn the key to the on position, it makes this noise in the dash for longer than any fuel pump on any vehicle I've owned. Once the noise stops, though, I crank it. I've found that if the car is off for about 10 minutes or less, it doesn't make the sound when I turn it on. I haven't noticed it make it after shut off, though, but I don't doubt it: My dad has reported similar instances on his newer cars, and they are BMWs.

HEre is what I suspect, and I could be way off, this is just a theory. I always thought of the noise as coming from the back of the engine, not the dash. I think that with all the EPA regulations and crap out there, the fuel system is priming before you start the car, then, when shut off for 10 or 20 minutes, it is draining the lines of fuel.
Hmm...this sounds very plausible, to me. I had not considered some type of fuel system pump on the other side of the firewall. You think it's maybe some pump to drain the fuel lines back to the tank, though? I'm not sure I would imagine that to be the case. I've heard my car make that sound after it had been shut off for hours, so I'd expect that if this was what it was doing, it should definitely have the fuel lines drained by then, right?

If it is the fuel system, I guess maybe it could be keeping the lines primed for some reason, periodically pressurizing the lines. I would expect the fuel pump to be back in the fuel tank, though, not somewhere that would sound like inside the dash. You say that you wait for the fuel pump to finish priming before you crank? I've never paid attention to listen for the fuel pump in this car, so I couldn't tell you if it runs to pressurize the lines when you turn it on or if they stay pressurized. I've just never paid attention that much to listen for it.

I might have to pop my hood up and listen to see if I can hear the sound from that side of the firewall. If it's not something with the fuel system, it could be some other weirdness going on inside the engine bay. With all the EPA crap on cars these days, who knows what sort of weird emissions control junk could be running in there.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #37
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
More than likely it is the blower motor. Even when shut off by the switch they still spin slowly and never actually shut off completely.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #38
stevea

Drives: just a car
It's a couple gerbils on a tread mill. GM puts them in there to avoid the gas guzzler tax..... or was that the skip shift?
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #39
Transfusion

Drives: 1SS Summit White
I hear it but it's coming from the rear seat area of the car. and it only seems to happen as I am stopped at the stoplight about a mile from my house. Today was the 3rd time I have had it pump. That is what it sounds like, like something is being pumped and being squezed out of something.
Transfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #40
Bama 2SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
It's a couple gerbils on a tread mill. GM puts them in there to avoid the gas guzzler tax..... or was that the skip shift?

When I was in high school, I rode with my buddy to school in his Dodge Shadow. I'm not sure about a gas guzzler tax, but I think Dodge only equipped his car nothing but hamsters. We used to rag on him every time he tried to punch the gas really hard, telling him to stop kicking the hamsters.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #41
Bama 2SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfusion View Post
I hear it but it's coming from the rear seat area of the car. and it only seems to happen as I am stopped at the stoplight about a mile from my house. Today was the 3rd time I have had it pump. That is what it sounds like, like something is being pumped and being squezed out of something.
I'm not sure if you're hearing the same thing I am. What you describe might be the fuel pump (really don't have a clue, though). What I hear is definitely coming from up in the dash (or the firewall or something) and the only time I've noticed it was with the car turned off. It happens fairly frequently, too.

Ehh...who knows? Anybody got a connection with someone at GM who could answer this? I'm half tempted to try to call some customer service number or something, but I'm about 99.9% positive that I won't get anybody who has any clue about it. I might just have to let the mystery go and forget about it. It doesn't bother me, anyway. The car runs fine with no problems, I've just been curious as to what's going on in there.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #42
defense1510

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS RJT
I know I don't own one yet but I have heard this while test driving a few. I know on VW passats when you shut the engine down the water pump keeps the fluid cycling through. I'm wondering if it's something like that?
defense1510 is offline   Reply With Quote