Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #211
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
It was the federal regulations, but not sure if it was the brightness or lack there of, or which, but it was indeed because of regulations.
Actually, it was my understanding that they scrapped the afterburners because they took up too much trunk space. Brightness can always be tweaked by using stronger or weaker bulbs, but in order to achieve the depth effect present in the concept Camaro they had massively deep cans for the tail light assemblies that stuck far into the already tiny trunk opening, so for practicality's sake they were scrapped rather than attempting to get the look with a smaller housing.

I can't say for sure that was the real reason but I seem to remember that being the reason given to us on the forums by someone at GM back when the production version was revealed.
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #212
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by binlow84 View Post
Actually, it was my understanding that they scrapped the afterburners because they took up too much trunk space. Brightness can always be tweaked by using stronger or weaker bulbs, but in order to achieve the depth effect present in the concept Camaro they had massively deep cans for the tail light assemblies that stuck far into the already tiny trunk opening, so for practicality's sake they were scrapped rather than attempting to get the look with a smaller housing.

I can't say for sure that was the real reason but I seem to remember that being the reason given to us on the forums by someone at GM back when the production version was revealed.
As tony said to me, the stronger or brighter bulbs used, the lesser of the effect of the afterburner.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #213
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
As tony said to me, the stronger or brighter bulbs used, the lesser of the effect of the afterburner.
Not trying to start a war but I don't agree with that statement. you need the right amount of light and that my be a stronger or brighter bulb.

If its to week an amount of light you will know it as soon as your rear ended.

But let me say Tone will get it right he all ways does.
Attached Images

2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #214
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Not trying to start a war but I don't agree with that statement. you need the right amount of light and that my be a stronger or brighter bulb.

I think what he means is that too bright a bulb takes away the afterburner effect, which is true, if you're trying to modify the existing housing. A housing built specifically for the effect would have the proper light sealing in place however. Cost was also an issue I believe.
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #215
bo3adlah

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post

whoa goodlookin tail right there.. tho am not a fan of the dark spot on the left
bo3adlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #216
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
That is to show you a weak bulb to a stronger one, more light.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #217
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
I think what he means is that too bright a bulb takes away the afterburner effect, which is true, if you're trying to modify the existing housing. A housing built specifically for the effect would have the proper light sealing in place however. Cost was also an issue I believe.
Right. if the afterburner liight output is too great, it's going to end up lighting up the whole thing.

Ofer, the example you shows is good, what i was saying was that if the right side was made brighter, it would end up oversshining the center portion, if that makes sense
Old 05-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #218
GraphixJunkie
Kneel before Zod

Drives: 1998 Silverado & 2013 Focus ST
Quote:

I still don't understand why they didn't just incorporate the lights into the trunk lid. Plenty of cars have lights that raise and lower with the trunk and are no worse for wear... Had they gone that route, not only could they have had the necessary depth to pull of the look properly, but it also would have alleviated the painfully small trunk opening that is currently caused by the tail light cans. Some days I wish I could just be standing in the design/engineering room at GM and just smack somebody when they do stupid stuff like this.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #219
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphixJunkie View Post
I still don't understand why they didn't just incorporate the lights into the trunk lid. Plenty of cars have lights that raise and lower with the trunk and are no worse for wear... Had they gone that route, not only could they have had the necessary depth to pull of the look properly, but it also would have alleviated the painfully small trunk opening that is currently caused by the tail light cans. Some days I wish I could just be standing in the design/engineering room at GM and just smack somebody when they do stupid stuff like this.
First off, how do you incorporate the outside set of light into the deck lid and keep the current design?

Second, adding the lights and cans to the deck lid creates other issues too.

Third, if your going to smack someone you can start with me. I work for GM helping to manufacture the sheet metal parts that create this GREAT CAMARO.

There are many reasons the lights are where they are at. Primary reason is for design intent.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #220
Ringo
Politically incorrect

Drives: 2SS/RS
The original concept design could have been done, but cost and practicality got in the way. Hate it when that happens.....

Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #221
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo

these lights just moved up to the top of my mod list thanks to that spy shot

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 AM   #222
bo3adlah

Drives: Camaro SS
concept afterburners dead ?
bo3adlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #223
Ringo
Politically incorrect

Drives: 2SS/RS
Seemed like it there for a while. Not so much anymore, thankfully.

Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #224
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
First off, how do you incorporate the outside set of light into the deck lid and keep the current design?

Second, adding the lights and cans to the deck lid creates other issues too.

Third, if your going to smack someone you can start with me. I work for GM helping to manufacture the sheet metal parts that create this GREAT CAMARO.

There are many reasons the lights are where they are at. Primary reason is for design intent.

Hey, its always good to hear from someone on the 'inside'... btw, do you have any insight on the concept afterburners and why they were left off the production cars? Just curious...

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote