Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Car "waking up" after oil change..is this due to the fuse pull?

I've seen various people stating their Camaro seemed to "wake up" after their first oil change. But I've also seen people state that there's no way simply changing out the oil could cause this. So I was wondering - are Chevy dealers automatically doing the fuse pull on Camaros they change the oil on? Is this the "wake up," or does the oil change in and of itself do this? Or is the "wake up" simply the result of the car being broken in, which happens to coincide w/ the mileage the oil is being changed at?

I've got 900 miles on the car and I'm contemplating having the oil changed, but I'm hearing conflicting stories. Some say a brand new car's engine needs an early oil change to remove the metal shavings of break-in; some (including the owner of an oil change business that I do payroll for) are saying that's a thing of the past, and today's engines don't need this done.

Either way, if the oil change amps performance, I would do it early - I guess my question is - does it?
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
ahart04
most bang for your buck

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM/BLK RALLYS
i believe the 'wake up' that people are referring to is the reprogramming of the computer. it adjusts ratios and timing according to your driving habits, to enhance performance and gas mileage. im not certain when exactly it kicks in, or if it does it at the same mileage for every car.

the oil change won't amp performance to the point where you notice it. when your boss says its a thing of the past, he's mostly right...building/filtering processes are better now, however there will always be contaminants in oil on every car. cant get around it 100% yet. that being said, i changed mine at 600. because i know whats in there, and it bugs me. lol so even though it wont make a significant difference either way good or bad, i know that it made a small unnoticeable difference toward the good. i guess i would say frequent oil changes prolong the overall performance and longevity of any engine, whilst infrequent ones will yield you only a small decline in performance/longevity. but i want it all.. just my .02
Old 10-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
NoUCantDriveIt

Drives: 2SS RS M6 CGM/Black Rally
Looking forward to the posts on this one
I'm guessing it's not the oil change, but don't listen to me. Just when I think I have the whole break-in and when to change the oil thing figured out, I find a thread and I'm back in the land of clueless!
NoUCantDriveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
mjlash22

Drives: 2007 Ford Fusion SE
can someone point me to the thread on this whole fuse pull thing, and does the dealer do the reprogramming or an autoshop?
3000 = Accepted By Production Control 1/7/10 (TPW: 2/1/10)
3400 = Broadcast 1/23/10
3800 = Produced 2/2/10 (2G1FC1EV6A9189068)
4150 = Invoiced 2/5/10
4200 = Shipped
5000 = Delivered To Dealer
6000 = Delivered To Customer
mjlash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlash22 View Post
can someone point me to the thread on this whole fuse pull thing, and does the dealer do the reprogramming or an autoshop?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38964
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
If you look in the maintenance and break in threads, alot has been discussed about break in and metal.

I personally drove the hell out of my engine and changed the oil at 890 miles. I had quite a bit of metal in the filter, and a aluminum powdery sheen on the oil surface. I cut the filter open and it was impressive.

I changed it again at 2900 miles.

Some people who do the mandated "manual break in" have not reported the same characteristics I have. So, break in easy, no oil change required wheras, spirited driving, be a little more concerned.

The other issue about fuse pulling and oil changes...

Oil changing WILL NOT give you an actual performance gain. It is a percieved gain unless, at the dealer the techs are pulling the PCM fuses and letting it relearn the higher octane settings which would result in approximately 30-40 horses and a real actual gain. There is a few threads regarding this and possibly a TSB about that issue. Quite a few people have pulled fuses and been happy.

Oil changes alone do not do anything magical.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
So, break in easy, no oil change required wheras, spirited driving, be a little more concerned. Oil changes alone do not do anything magical.
+1

I agree; however, my break-in was somewhere in the middle. Did the oil change at 1,700 miles. Couldn't tell any significant difference; but, I sleep a lot better.

I get performance improvements by making sure my tires are properly inflated. This creature gets a bit pudgy with even a 4psi drop from the recommended pressures.