Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Microsoft working with automakers.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../1210/BUSINESS

It looks like Microsoft's goals are to branch out from working w/ just Ford and SYNC. I would sure like to have all the extra technology in my veh...bluetooth, USB port, nav, etc, etc, etc. I'd go for it.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:09 AM   #2
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Ya know Tag i'm reminded of the "GM Burns Bill Gates" thread
Quote:
Damn this is good!

For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on. At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like! Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

Please share this with your friends who love - but sometimes hate - their computer
but if it works better than normal Microsoft
Old 02-21-2008, 01:18 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Yeah, those were great! I'm sure they'd work out any kinks before hooking selling hundreds of thousands of cars, though. Seriously, I'm all for it. I DON'T, however, want to have to pay ANY monthy fees associated w/ OnStar or any other monthly crud....just me.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:25 AM   #4
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
you never know they've sold hundreds of thousands of other Microsoft computers and other products, me i'll stick with Apple for my electronic needs
Old 02-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Drives: 1998 Camry
To me, there is only a certain amount of technology you can put into a vehicle... bluetooth is a cool technology, but there are a ton of phones out there that have it and even then most people i know who have it don't use it unless they are business men(or just want to look... hip? i don't know... with the thing in their ear). Voice activation is a nice feature too with the Sync, probably the only thing worth investing in. But other than that... eh. USB port in your car, why? To upload music? mp3 players do that well enough already and they just need their own jack. anything beyond that just requires a microsoft operating system and a computer and means problems and repairs. if you really want all that just get a nice phone that runs microsoft mobile like the blackjack (which i have, love it) or something.
Roflmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflmao View Post
To me, there is only a certain amount of technology you can put into a vehicle... bluetooth is a cool technology, but there are a ton of phones out there that have it and even then most people i know who have it don't use it unless they are business men(or just want to look... hip? i don't know... with the thing in their ear). Voice activation is a nice feature too with the Sync, probably the only thing worth investing in. But other than that... eh. USB port in your car, why? To upload music? mp3 players do that well enough already and they just need their own jack. anything beyond that just requires a microsoft operating system and a computer and means problems and repairs. if you really want all that just get a nice phone that runs microsoft mobile like the blackjack (which i have, love it) or something.
I’m pretty sure that the USB port is of the device controller rather than peripheral persuasion so you can load you music from your computer onto a USB drive and them plug the drive into the car to play the music. I think this is a great idea since USB drives will always be cheaper than MP3 players.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
I’m pretty sure that the USB port is of the device controller rather than peripheral persuasion so you can load you music from your computer onto a USB drive and them plug the drive into the car to play the music. I think this is a great idea since USB drives will always be cheaper than MP3 players.
Don't you need some operating system to play the files from a USB drive? It could be something really simple, but still need to have it in the deck or whatever, which is usually an increase in price, so might as well buy an mp3 player so its not just in your car. Unless I am missing something the USB drives themselves can't just play music through the port without a operating system to recognize the files and feed them through the speakers, which is what microsoft does.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:08 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

USB drive for just that...download all your music to a USB drive, plug it into a port on or by the stereo and there ya have it. All your music, like a CD, is now available through your radio. Sure, there will have to be some sort of operating system that recognizes mp3 files, etc. But, all songs will be available at the push of a button....kinda like scrolling down alphabetically by song title.

I find this idea much better than having a seperate IPOD or MP3 player. If I'm a car burglar (or someone who just has opportunity) and I see an IPOD sitting in your center console vs a USB drive, what do you think I'm going to do? I don't want to break into your car for a simple USB drive. But an IPOD or MP3 player, sure! USB drives can be replaced easily. Price an IPOD with relatively good memory and that price gets up there.

I'd also like to reference those futuristic GM interior shots we saw a while back. On the dash and in front of the driver (next to the speedo) were names w/ phone #'s for a type of bluetooth system....hands free. You simply scroll down a list of names using buttons on the steering wheel and press call. There must be some sort of operating system which recognizes that type of information too. Doing the USB drive (IMO) wouldn't be all that different. I could finally say "goodbye" to all my scratched and soon to be scratched CD's (which consist mainly of burned CD's anyway) and finally have a single USB drive to take w/ me in the car. Sounds a heck of a lot better than a CD case filled w/ 50 CD's (for a lot of people). I just have 8 to 10 CD's compiled of my favorites.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflmao View Post
Don't you need some operating system to play the files from a USB drive? It could be something really simple, but still need to have it in the deck or whatever, which is usually an increase in price, so might as well buy an mp3 player so its not just in your car. Unless I am missing something the USB drives themselves can't just play music through the port without a operating system to recognize the files and feed them through the speakers, which is what microsoft does.
If it can play CDs your stereo already has a (retarded) computer inside and a lot of newer decks (OEM & aftermarket) can already play MP3s stored on a CD. The in bump in cost should be pretty small and mostly related to the physical port and and maybe an extra button.

Ofcourse if we are talking about Microsoft's Sync system, then it is a package deal (voice recognition, bluetooth, nav, maybe trafic, etc) that will cost a few bucks but I'm too lazy to go look up what Ford is charging. On the bright side, hear it is pretty slick, you just press a button and tell the car what you want to hear.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../1210/BUSINESS

It looks like Microsoft's goals are to branch out from working w/ just Ford and SYNC. I would sure like to have all the extra technology in my veh...bluetooth, USB port, nav, etc, etc, etc. I'd go for it.
Love technology! I hope something can happen with Onstar and SYNC for our Camaro.!

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
USB drive for just that...download all your music to a USB drive, plug it into a port on or by the stereo and there ya have it. All your music, like a CD, is now available through your radio. Sure, there will have to be some sort of operating system that recognizes mp3 files, etc. But, all songs will be available at the push of a button....kinda like scrolling down alphabetically by song title.

I find this idea much better than having a seperate IPOD or MP3 player. If I'm a car burglar (or someone who just has opportunity) and I see an IPOD sitting in your center console vs a USB drive, what do you think I'm going to do? I don't want to break into your car for a simple USB drive. But an IPOD or MP3 player, sure! USB drives can be replaced easily. Price an IPOD with relatively good memory and that price gets up there.

I'd also like to reference those futuristic GM interior shots we saw a while back. On the dash and in front of the driver (next to the speedo) were names w/ phone #'s for a type of bluetooth system....hands free. You simply scroll down a list of names using buttons on the steering wheel and press call. There must be some sort of operating system which recognizes that type of information too. Doing the USB drive (IMO) wouldn't be all that different. I could finally say "goodbye" to all my scratched and soon to be scratched CD's (which consist mainly of burned CD's anyway) and finally have a single USB drive to take w/ me in the car. Sounds a heck of a lot better than a CD case filled w/ 50 CD's (for a lot of people). I just have 8 to 10 CD's compiled of my favorites.
I agree, having a USB port for a portable drive would be awesome. All I am saying is I am pretty sure the cost of a stereo capable of being able to utilize this is going to cost a good amount more. On the Malibu the only stereo I see that would be capable of having a USB port is the premium audio package since it has RDS. "The stereo features a Radio Data System (RDS)(1) that allows you to see song titles and artists." That is an extra $550 for that option. The other options have an MP3 player port and come standard. Why not take $300 and go buy an awesome IPOD that you can carry not only with you in your car, but other places as well and save $250? Even a retarded computer system costs money to be placed into a vehicle. I would also assume a USB port stereo system would be a tad over $550, but who knows?
Old 02-23-2008, 01:21 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Where did I read that the SYNC option was $395.00? I could be wrong. But, I forsee all vehicles eventually going to a USB style port. Just like many, many years ago when a tape player became an option, I bet people were like, "No way!! You mean I don't have to worry about 8 tracks anymore!!!" Then, come the CD's....they skipped all the time from every little bump. But, cars were still being made w/ tape players. Finally, I'd venture to say that just about all these cars have a CD player as standard equipment.

IMO, and I say again, IMO, we will eventually see a radio w/ no more CD's...no more tape players...a simple port which accepts a USB drive (something that you can take out and stick in your pocket just like a set of keys). It'll happen...

And, this is just me, but I have no use for an IPOD. I have my home theater. I have my computer on the other side of the house. I have a Dell Axim which holds however many songs on it I want and I can take that with me to the gym if I want (I really don't use it since there's music playing anyway or a tv hanging from the ceiling). But, I really have no use for an IPOD. I'd much rather have my ears open to anything going on around me than having music playing loudly in my ears.