Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #43
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrisSullivan View Post
Yeah Iron Block... But you can't really hate that, im my opinnion you have to appreciate it... Man just think if they did Have an Aluminum block Hemi, shaving those extra pounds off.... Jeez... I don't know... The Challenger still looks better though... When we see times that's all that matters right now...
Why are you here?

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #44
MrKrisSullivan
New 2 The "DARK-SIDE"

Drives: 2003 Ram HEMI 4x4 Slt 20in
waiting to see the times for the the new Camaro... I never said the Camaro was ugly bro... Plus an SS for 30k sounds pretty good... You can't buy an SRT without bells and whistles but you can get an SS without leather and other goodies...
MrKrisSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #45
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Soo can we just let one of the mags borrow one of the captured test fleet cars for a day or 2 so they can do a proper review?
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #46
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Dragon and I were talking about this the other night... It's got to be soon...

Maybe they are waiting for the cars to be closer to production?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #47
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'm thinking any day now. We have 100% confirmation that they're out and about so it should be soon. The father did say it was these (the CTF) cars that would be reviewed, etc.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:42 AM   #48
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
You guys have to remember that if GM releases a vehicle to any of the car mags for "performance testing" and the fit, finish and performance aren't up to snuff (for any reason) and they give a poor review it'll be hard for GM to recover from the bad press. You don't think they would ignore ANY rattle, squeak, or electrical gremlin do you??

GM has to hit a home run with this car, they can't afford to have ANY BAD Press. I'm guessing the mags will get some of the "first" non pre-ordered cars for testing and I wouldn't expect to see these articles before March.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #49
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Well I for one really don't get it, the concept came out in 2006. The retro style mustang came out in 2005 and if GM does not move faster in the future, they won't survive period. I too want the camaro to be right but come on......
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #50
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbusa View Post
Well I for one really don't get it, the concept came out in 2006. The retro style mustang came out in 2005 and if GM does not move faster in the future, they won't survive period. I too want the camaro to be right but come on......
The concept was not feasible to be mass produced so everything had to be changed on it so they don't cost $1M to produce. Considering that the announcement for production was in August of 2006 and full production is ~6 weeks away, that is a very short time span. Shorter than the delay between the original mustang and the original Camaro.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #51
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The concept was not feasible to be mass produced so everything had to be changed on it so they don't cost $1M to produce. Considering that the announcement for production was in August of 2006 and full production is ~6 weeks away, that is a very short time span. Shorter than the delay between the original mustang and the original Camaro.
My point was, mustangs never stopped production and produced a retro style in 2005, people bought them up like hotcakes. It should not have taken GM 5 more years to come out with a camaro for the public after they saw the success of the mustang. There is a lesson that should be learned.

Last edited by tjbusa; 12-31-2008 at 06:12 PM.
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #52
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
WHEN!!! Will we see performance tests???

I have been looking at this site for several months and I must say it has a lot of great info. However, I am almost 50 and don't understand all this Bluetooth, thumb drive, etc stuff. Bur what really puzzles me is here we are, just weeks away from production, and we STILL don't have the SS performance figures from an independent source!! They must have it tuned by now, what are they, embarassed? Let's put the chips on the table.
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #53
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsavujr View Post
I have been looking at this site for several months and I must say it has a lot of great info. However, I am almost 50 and don't understand all this Bluetooth, thumb drive, etc stuff. Bur what really puzzles me is here we are, just weeks away from production, and we STILL don't have the SS performance figures from an independent source!! They must have it tuned by now, what are they, embarassed? Let's put the chips on the table.
If they give the numbers now, it won't do them much good. The point of performance figures is to entice buyers to go to the dealership and see, feel, and drive the car after they read about it in the magazine. There is a slight problem with that at the moment. Most of cars get feature coverage the month they go on sale, which normally correlates to when you can pick them up. The Camaro is slightly different because we have been able to order them for the last 3 months and it will be another 3 months before they arrive at dealerships.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #54
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If they give the numbers now, it won't do them much good. The point of performance figures is to entice buyers to go to the dealership and see, feel, and drive the car after they read about it in the magazine. There is a slight problem with that at the moment. Most of cars get feature coverage the month they go on sale, which normally correlates to when you can pick them up. The Camaro is slightly different because we have been able to order them for the last 3 months and it will be another 3 months before they arrive at dealerships.
It's been a rough wait though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #55
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsavujr View Post
We all share your frustration regarding no magazine tests or comparisons so far. But it's definitely NOT because Chevy is embarrassed about the car. GM just wants the car as perfect as possible before they go into production or provide the media with vehicles for testing, hence the one month delay.

It's no secret that many folks base a lot of their buying decisions on magazine tests and comparisons - the annual Consumer Reports Auto issue is always their biggest seller - so the last thing GM wants is magazine articles stating that the car does not seem finished. We assume the numbers are going to be good, but the numbers are only part of the story when it comes to magazine reviews.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #56
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
DGthe3's answer was perfect. I'm almost positive the mags and websites all have taken their test drives and have the reviews written up, ready to go. There is usually an embargo in place preventing them from publishing these stories until a time set by GM close to when they're available for sale. Sometimes these embargoes are broken. If that doesn't happen, I'd expect the reviews to come out around the same time dealerships get their 2LT demo cars.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote