Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #183
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZOTSTA24 View Post
I don't know why they compared the Camaro to the AMG. It's an apples and oranges situation but I predicted what would happen.
They compared the Royal Post vs a Porsche Panamera. Have you ever seen Top Gear before? Sounds like you don't really understand what the show is about.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #184
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
40,000 pounds sterling is $ 60,000 Plus. The E63 AMG is 72,000 pounds or about $ 110,000. Thats $ 50,000 cost between the two in the UK.

Not even in the same league financially. Only the engine size is similar. AMG is Mercedes factory tuner. To compare the two you should really take the camaro to Lingenfelter and then see the times on the laps.

Avalon
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #185
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by acamellis View Post
Yep we're murderers... lmao
Put 72G in a camaro and see what happens... bad comparo
And the AMG isn't a Muscle Car.
Does anyone agree with me there?
Absolutely not. If you want that, go watch all the other boring and sterilized car shows out there. If you want to watch Top Gear, understand what kind of show it is before making such ridiculous statements.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #186
rez333

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
exactly what i thought, that curly haired jackass hates American cars "no one intelligent would drive that car" , and whats with the murderous comments? i cant believe i watched that, i knew before what it was going to be like.

what a arrogant rotten tooth turd.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
there is no such thing as a foreign muscle car. that's an AMERICAN PHRASE. No one can take that from us.
And you wonder why he thinks Americans who drive Camaros are "murderers"?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #187
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think many people who are watching that show for the first time in that video needs to understand what's been posted by regular watchers, in this thread previously. These guys are journalists (to my understanding) but that's not what this show is about. These guys can cut apart any car, and usually do. I've watched the show for a couple years, and have not seen a lot of older shows, yet, however, I believe I have a good grasp of the theme of the show. They even say that this show is about fun. I'm not going to defend it, because, frankly, I don't feel the need to, but these guys can be dark on anything. I'm trying to think of one car that these guys haven't had one negative comment about, and know there's maybe ONE or TWO, but that's it. They tear apart Aston Martins, Mercs', BMWs, Audis, it doesn't matter.

That said - they do have a different understanding of what muscle cars are. I say that because it's my opinion musclecars come from America, and we invented them. The comparison in that segment wasn't even reasonable, per se. Another thing is that show doesn't always base it's overall review of a car on numbers by themselves. Clarkson was quick to point out that he thought the 5.2 R8 was a better car than ZR1, but he'd take ZR1 over that R8 because it was more fun.

Don't make this review more than it really is...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #188
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rez333 View Post
Absolutely not. If you want that, go watch all the other boring and sterilized car shows out there. If you want to watch Top Gear, understand what kind of show it is before making such ridiculous statements.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #189
RipperFox
Grrr!!!

Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
I watched the 370Z and the Camaro epidodes. They loved the 370Z on the track. "The handling, awesome...etc"

Jeremy did that review.

But the SS was .4 seconds slower than that 800# lighter car, and its a turd? This is amazing out of Jeremy.

Journalists? They have no integrity.

Every other car that is truely in the SS's class, Roush mustang, Viper, Shelby GT500 Mustang, was beaten

Used to watch the show with out fail, but now...idk
I know its just entertainment, but hypocrisy is something I cant stand.
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #190
xlr8nova

Drives: nova
Actually I thought Clarkston went really easy on the Camaro. He didn't call it rubbish, he just was making a statement that it's not the kind of car a dignitary would drive. But that's what American Muscle cars are about. Cars that people can actually afford.

And very true, a more apples to apples would be for them to compare a Livernois, Ligenfelter, Hennesy, etc to an AMG Mercedes. They just do comparisions like that to stir the pot. Anybody that watches the show on a regular basis knows it.
xlr8nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #191
ares2596

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT W/Black
Well of course its twice the car its twice the freakin price... besides its a german car,
And could somebody PLEASE go out and test the 2lt already, everybody is talking about the V8 thich is soooo much heavier, but nobody goes out and tests the lighter V6 :bangdesk: :bangdesk:
ares2596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #192
sik68

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2002 Subaru WRX
That Top Gear segment was an ego check. SS v E63 is an odd comparison yes, but they did mention multiple times that it was nearly twice the price. The episode was meant to show that there are multiple price points in the muscle car game. The SS is a level 1 or 2 muscle car...the E63 is simply on a different level. The price, the power, the handling, the comfort all reflect that.

PS: the E63 AMG is still actually a 6.2 liter, it's just Merc. naming semantics. Also, the Viper power lap was an extremely wet lap.
sik68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #193
electlatino

Drives: 2SS with RS and Ground Effects
we all expected clarkson to hate it and hammond to love it. i think what most people are upset about is we didn't expect them to do a comparison. the comparison took away a lot that could have been reviewed about the camaro, and we all expected them to go over more.

i also don't think the comparison is fair, but it was still entertaining. i do wish they had used a LS3 and on my tv, it looked like a VR with black stripes, not IOM. maybe it was my tv.

we all buy the car we want, fully knowing there are other cars out there that are: more expensive, less expensive, more horsepower, faster times, more horspower, more torque, better features. but we buy what we like.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #194
69copo
Sorry officer

Drives: CTS/V 2SS/RS Collector
Send a message via Yahoo to 69copo
Hello all....It's been quite awhile since I've been on here but I feel I must reply to this video. What did everyone expect to happen? It's a British show. Hammond is the only one who likes what he likes with out bias. Clarkson (the tall older one), has a bias towards anything not European. However the cars are very equal on paper and that was the grounds for the test. I own a few different cars and when you compare a Mercedes to a Camaro the Chevy does look like a little "unrefined". Sorry guys I know we love them but it's true. However if they would have compared the Camaro to the Mustang it would have been closer and more realistic. The AMG is a hand built and tuned vehicle. The Camaro is a mass produced sports car for the general population the AMG is not. Clarkson's comment that the Camaro is the car of murders is funny but I understand why he said it. Imagine that every time you saw a Jaguar it was being driven by some Mohawk wearing, middle finger waving, swearing and ignorant punk. What would your opinion be then. When are Camaro's shown? At drag races and running from the cops on the nightly news. They don't show the love and pride and responsible ownership that we here try to maintain. It's not AMG or M Power or even GM's own V-Series. The Camaro is a hairy chested, Metallica blasting slice of America and I wouldn't have it any other way .
Old 07-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #195
ChevyCobb

Drives: Corvette Z06
For those that wanted them talk about the Camaro more...

What more would you want him to say that hasnt already been said in similar holden or vauxhall reviews?
ChevyCobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #196
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCobb View Post
For those that wanted them talk about the Camaro more...

What more would you want him to say that hasnt already been said in similar holden or vauxhall reviews?
True - but I remember more positive comments about those reviews. I can see the bias that so many others have noticed, but I had an idea what to expect from them, and they didn't miss their mark. If someone doesn't like a car, they just don't.

It's an entertainment show - that is all.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"