Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
RobRiot88

Drives: 2010 SS 6m, black on black.
Twin Turbo Build

ok so not sure exactly if this is where this is posted, but im planning on building my 2010 SS when i return from this deployment. To start, my end goal is to have around 650+hp with a built drivetrain to handle it. So far my idea is to use granatelli's twin turbo kit, some roller rockers, hardened pushrods, new valvesprings, retainers, all that. possibly a cam designed for forced induction.i know im going to need a boost a pump, bigger injectors and a custom tune. i want to have my 6 speed built and get a 900 ft lbs rated clutch. im planning on using the dss 9" conversion. Also looking into those billet toe rods, trailing arms, and lower control arms. With eibach r1 adjustable coil overs. i know there will be other things i want for bodywork and exhaust and stuff like that but about halfway through planning this i realize im crazy and have planned pretty much a $30,000 build ha. Does anyone have any input. things i should probably do, shouldn't do or should do another way. any advice on how to save some money or trouble would be greatly appreciated. also any reassurance im not crazy would be nice.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiot88 View Post
ok so not sure exactly if this is where this is posted, but im planning on building my 2010 SS when i return from this deployment. To start, my end goal is to have around 650+hp with a built drivetrain to handle it. So far my idea is to use granatelli's twin turbo kit, some roller rockers, hardened pushrods, new valvesprings, retainers, all that. possibly a cam designed for forced induction.i know im going to need a boost a pump, bigger injectors and a custom tune. i want to have my 6 speed built and get a 900 ft lbs rated clutch. im planning on using the dss 9" conversion. Also looking into those billet toe rods, trailing arms, and lower control arms. With eibach r1 adjustable coil overs. i know there will be other things i want for bodywork and exhaust and stuff like that but about halfway through planning this i realize im crazy and have planned pretty much a $30,000 build ha. Does anyone have any input. things i should probably do, shouldn't do or should do another way. any advice on how to save some money or trouble would be greatly appreciated. also any reassurance im not crazy would be nice.

If your end goal is 650-700hp then Our Single Turbo Kit is the best option for you. You can upgrade to the Precision 72mm turbo and get above 700RWHP on a stock motor with our Single kit. And the price of our kit is Thousands Less.

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I'm over 600rwhp on a Maggie and I'm running a ZL1 pump, not a BAP.

If your set on a TT kit, TTI (Granatelli's kit maker), IPS, HPS and Hellion all have kits that will have zero problems getting you there.

I'd talk to people that have each of the kits and see what kind of "lessons learned" experiences they've had since starting their builds. If you PM them, you should be able to get the details that they don't make public on here. I know of a couple people off the top of my head that have had or are continuing to have issues after the kits have been installed, and not all the customer service is the same.

If you are wanting 650rwhp, you are going to need injectors, fuel pump and the kit. If you're an L99, swap the cam, lifters, springs, etc and ditch the DoD. Make sure your builder specs the cam for the turbo kit. I was flip flopping on SC vs TT and put a SC cam in. Almost bought a turbo an had to swap it out. lol

Depending on what mods you already have, a TT kit may actually be cheaper than a SC where your not buying a CAI, headers, etc. if you already have both, you may want to rethink your TT ideas or realize you are loosing money on them. Already having a SC cam installed and those upgrades are the reasons I went SC, well that and I got a smoking deal from Jessika @ Supercharger Connection.

As for the clutch, I'd contact Hendricks and get one of their street slayers. I didn't, and regret it. My clutch is ok, his is better, and not much more than what I paid either. I've got an ACT and it "chatters" a bit much at low speed/rpm. Nothing you can't live with, but I haven't seen or heard of anyone having those issues with the Hendricks clutch.

I'm on the factory internals, except the cam and its related components, an will stay that way until it dies and I have to upgrade. If I take care of it, that shouldn't be too soon, but you never know. A fully forged and stroked motor is $10k that I didn't want to spend right now.

Be safe on deployment and hurry home to get that beast built. Nothing like tax free money to build up your toy collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
uniqueskillz

Drives: ETMC built 700+hp Twin Turbo LS3
I have the granatelli kit with a cam. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions. Be safe over there man.
uniqueskillz is offline   Reply With Quote