Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Does this sound fatal?

I was on the throttle, going uphill, somewhere around 4000- 4500 RPM. I had it in "automatic" mode, but when I let off of the throttle, it did not upshift as expected, staying in 3rd gear.

I changed to manual, and upshifted to 4th, but had no power. Then, lightly at first, I heard a metallic tapping, which soon got louder and louder. Power continued to diminish.

I pulled over as soon as possible (less than a mile from the first indication of a problem). I turned the car off, looked underneath, and saw that oil was pouring onto the ground, from behind the crankshaft pulley wheel (I think that's the crankshaft seal).

I got the car flatbedded home. There, I added three quarts of oil, before seeing anything on the dipstick. I started the car. It shook and shuddered, bucked like a bronco, but then settled down after a few seconds. It seems to run smoothly for a few seconds at a time, then it will resume the shakes and the shudders. It finally threw a CEL code (had not done so before, nor given any dashboard indication of any problem), which reads as 0300, "random misfire detected."

Any theories, thoughts, ideas? Am I about to spend a lot of money, a LOT of money, or will it be so expensive that I'd be better off selling it for parts?

2011 1LT (six- shooter), 185,000 miles
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
I dont own a v6 but I've heard the LLT and LFXs have a fairly common problem with the timing chains stretching over time causing misfires and cars timing to be off. That's my first guess.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
Terryfied

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Sounds like catastrophic engine failure but who knows til you look inside. If you like the car, find a donor engine and enjoy it for another 100k miles... it's only money.
Terryfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
captaincog

Drives: 1971 350RS/SS 4sp
Happened to me without the oil loss....your engine is toast. Dealer wants about 6k or find a used engine. So sorry that to hear it happened. Ignore the haters that will post up crap. The engine is not a long term design from GM. I had my engine replaced and I hope to sell off my Camaro in a year or so once I can save up for something else.
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:50 AM   #5
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
185,000 is not a bad run for an engine,just find another one and get another 100k out of it.as long as the rest of the car is good thats the cheapest way out.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
OP it sounds pretty bad to me but you have gone pretty far at 185K so the car has done pretty well I would say. I agree with some others if the rest of the car is sound and you like it throw another motor in there and travel on. Good luck & sorry to hear your Camaro had a a bad turn....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Thanks, my friends, for the responses!

I just got the diagnosis back from the shop (a place I trust). They said that the engine is a complete loss... utterly destroyed.

So.... now I need to decide whether or not to perform the heart transplant, or to buy another vehicle...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Are all of the V6 engines prone to failure like this?
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #9
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Are all of the V6 engines prone to failure like this?
yep
Old 09-04-2018, 11:42 PM   #10
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
At 185K, the chassis is in it's twilight. If you have mechanical skills, engine replacement and maintenance of the chassis systems like suspension, steering, rolling parts, etc., along with the engine would be still be a lot of work and expense. It seems like this is an age/mileage that things are somewhat balanced, making this decision harder. Only you can decide, since we aren't setting in your financial shoes. In my past when I didn't have a lot of disposable income, I maintained my El Camino for half a million miles, because I had to. 3 engines, 2 trannies, 3 paint jobs, 2 interiors, several headliners and dashboards, carburetors, alternators, A/C compressor, all kinds of things I can't recall over 20 years of driving that thing, and who knows how many tires and barrels of oil. Almost all of the work I did myself. I wouldn't go down that path now, in my current financial shoes.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #11
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
The telling point is the "added three quarts of oil before even seeing anything on the dipstick..." and however much to bring it up to the full mark... Unless it tossed a rod out of the block, or was smoking like crazy, this engine failure may be attributed to failure to maintain proper oil levels.
He said there was oil pouring out from the back of the motor when he pulled over. It wouldn't have mattered what his oil level was before that happened I would think.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #12
jrob56

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ 4wd 5.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
The telling point is the "added three quarts of oil before even seeing anything on the dipstick..." and however much to bring it up to the full mark... Unless it tossed a rod out of the block, or was smoking like crazy, this engine failure may be attributed to failure to maintain proper oil levels.

It sounds like a spun main bearing from the description.... A "complete loss, utterly destroyed" is kind of vague.

If you routinely change the oil and keep the oil level properly adjusted, there is no reason for the engine to just suddenly fail.... Having said that, it is mechanical and can fail for no other reason than karma... There is no set number of miles and then the motor will fail.... Hell, I'm on motor number eight going into my car....
What we have is failure of reading comprehension. He said oil pouring out from behind crank pulley, so front cover. That is why oil was low, not due to maintenance. Id guess cause was timing failure of some sort.

Sold:
95 Taurus SE
00 Z28 A4
06 TBSS
06 GTO M6
02 F150
01 B4C A4
05 GTO M6
02 Z28 M6
jrob56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
He said there was oil pouring out from the back of the motor when he pulled over. It wouldn't have mattered what his oil level was before that happened I would think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob56 View Post
What we have is failure of reading comprehension. He said oil pouring out from behind crank pulley, so front cover. That is why oil was low, not due to maintenance. Id guess cause was timing failure of some sort.
You are both correct and my bad... I completely missed or just simply forgot that point.... I'll step back from the keyboard now....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #14
Foxfire15

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS BVM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
I dont own a v6 but I've heard the LLT and LFXs have a fairly common problem with the timing chains stretching over time causing misfires and cars timing to be off. That's my first guess.

Last I heard this only applied to the LLT. Has this extended to the LFX as well?
Foxfire15 is offline   Reply With Quote