Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
VT2CA

Drives: 2010 1LT CYBER GREY
Defensive Driving, is it hard for others to see me? Or just LA drivers?

This morning I dodged being merged into by a Ford Exploder by about 2 feet, saw the guy at the last second and swerved into the other lane narrowly avoinding the accident. This is now the second time I was able to scoot out of the way of being merged into, and I already had an accident with another driver who I totally didnt see who merged into me. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...break+massacre luckily his insurance picked up the bill for that one.
All of this led me to wondering, is the low profile of this car or the stealth exterior making it hard for people to see me? Or is it just the horrible Los Angeles drivers? I'm thinking it's LA, but maybe some of you have had similar experiences.....?
VT2CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Pssh, it's every driver on the road. I narrowly avoid accidents weekly where I live.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
MD/DC/Va has a fair share of bad drivers..
Old 04-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
You can't get away from stupidity. It is a daily occurance. Morons like those are everywhere. I'm 60 miles East of you and get it on a daily basis. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to see a bright IOM Camaro with the exhaust rumbling and the stereo blaring, but it still happens. Hell, that is why my CBR 600 is sitting in my garage with a mear 12k miles on a '96.

Keep your head on a swivle and give yourself a few extra feet of stopping distance. Just because you can make the stop, doesn't mean the moron behind you will get the fact that your break lights are on and they need to do the same thing. Narrowly escaped a couple of those. Every time my foot comes off the gas, it covers the break just enough to light up the lights so they know that I'm no longer going the same speed.

***stepping off my soap box and grabbing more tums to continue to deal with idiotic California drivers**************

Believe me, I feel your pain.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
people do not check their blind spot.i always look in the side mirror and then turn my head and check the blind spot.saved me many times.most of the time people look in the mirror,do see anything and come on over.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Idiots are everywhere.

I got hit by a lady in an SUV while I was stopped in the left turn lane. She was turning left and drove right through the left front end of my car.

On the first day I got my car, I was side by side with an SUV both of us in left turn lanes. I stayed in my lane, but she didn't and went into my lane (the right one), and I had to break hard to not get hit.

Drive defensively, whatever car you're in. However, you can't stop stupidity, and in my case I have no idea how or what I could have done to avoid being hit since I was stopped ;p

Old 04-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Yeah other drivers really are bad, but your own driving habits also can help or hurt you avoid those situations.

Avoid driving in a vehicles blind spot if at all possible. Just dont drive right next to someone. Make sure the center line of your car is at least even with their A pillar or you arent very visible to them if they happen to be the non-observant type.
jtzako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2CA View Post
This morning I dodged being merged into by a Ford Exploder by about 2 feet, saw the guy at the last second and swerved into the other lane narrowly avoinding the accident. This is now the second time I was able to scoot out of the way of being merged into, and I already had an accident with another driver who I totally didnt see who merged into me. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...break+massacre luckily his insurance picked up the bill for that one.
All of this led me to wondering, is the low profile of this car or the stealth exterior making it hard for people to see me? Or is it just the horrible Los Angeles drivers? I'm thinking it's LA, but maybe some of you have had similar experiences.....?
I have to avoid bad drivers constantly, 50% of the time they're driving that way to get a better look at my car.
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Oklahoma drivers suck.
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
snowtrill

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6- Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiv View Post
I have to avoid bad drivers constantly, 50% of the time they're driving that way to get a better look at my car.
I was going to ask how much is people trying to look at the car and not paying attention.

This seems to be a wackier than normal week though, Monday on my way to work, I missed getting hit or squished 3 different times, I drive a Ford Escape so it's not that easy to miss.

Cheers
snowtrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
Nope...it's not just the Camaro...I'm surrounded by idiots when I'm in my SUV too. I think the stress level is just higher when I'm in the Camaro. I won't lose my mind if someone hits my SUV....but I will come unglued if someone hits the 'Maro!
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
jag107

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
Not the car, it's definitely the latte sipping, makeup doing, texting, oblivious to anyone other than themselves California drivers. "Courtesy" doesn't exist in our dictionary out here, sad to say.
jag107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
marticus24

Drives: 2012 ZL1
It's no better in the Detroit area... my 66 mile round trip commute every day is littered with idiots that don't know how to merge, don't check their blind spots, etc, name it. I don't even have my Camaro yet and I'm nervous about driving it to work .
marticus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
snowtrill

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6- Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatlover13 View Post
Nope...it's not just the Camaro...I'm surrounded by idiots when I'm in my SUV too. I think the stress level is just higher when I'm in the Camaro. I won't lose my mind if someone hits my SUV....but I will come unglued if someone hits the 'Maro!
My daughter keeps cheering the drivers to hit my SUV. Her logic is if it's totaled, I will have to get the Camaro sooner. Not sure I disagree...
snowtrill is offline   Reply With Quote