Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #57
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Old 07-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #58
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
What part of "farmers aren't getting much more money for their corn" don't you understand? What part of "farmers aren't making more profit, which is what they'd do if price went up due to demand, because they're spending all that money on petroleum-based fertilizer, energy for their operation, and fuel for their equipment" don't you understand? The small amount of increase in price that the farmers are getting is not as much as their increase in energy costs to make it. Demand hasn't increased price, cost has increased price.

"Partially hydrogenated corn syrup", yes, I'm familiar with it. It's in the ingredients list of almost every sweet food and non-diet soda in the US. However, it's just not a big enough part, and the price of corn has not risen enough, to have a big effect on the packaged food product price. Now, the energy that goes into shipping the corn to the processing plant, processing the corn into partially hydrogenated corn syrup, shipping the other ingredients' materials, the energy required for making the other ingredients, the energy required to ship all the processed ingredients, the energy required to make food out of those processed ingredients, the energy required to pack it, the energy required to ship it, and the energy required to store it...that adds up pretty quick.

Yup, old technology, kept down possibly by cost to develop and possibly by collusive behavior in the energy industry. Also, a new method has been discovered to make gasoline from wood scraps and tires:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3846
WOW Look what I found in only 2 minutes. An article about the negative effects Ethanol is having on our food prices and inventory and an article about record profits in the farming industry. There were actually countless articles about farmers making record profits if you look, I just do not have tome to post them all for you.

Bottom line is farmers are making record amounts of money along with every other commodity. You can follow the two links below for the articles referenced above.

Ethanol Comes Under Fire for Rising Food Prices
http://www.ewg.org/node/26725

As food prices spiral, farmers, others profit
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24840735/
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #59
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
E85 does result in lower mileage. Now, Brasil has a surplus of Ethanol they make from sugar cane. But our government won't let them import it. What's wrong with this picture???
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #60
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
WOW Look what I found in only 2 minutes. An article about the negative effects Ethanol is having on our food prices
LOL, I can find articles saying the opposite in 30 seconds, and did for an earlier post.

Quote:
Bottom line is farmers are making record amounts of money along with every other commodity.
You go ahead and believe sensationalist media. I'll believe the farmers who have told me directly.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #61
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
What has to be different about the tank?

Also, you forgot compression ratio, if you want to be efficient with it.

Yes, in vehicles that are not optimized for it (pretty much every vehicle on the road). Maybe not in vehicles that are.
I didnt forget about compression ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
You can make fuel out of anything organic, it is just a matter of how much and cost in energey put in to energy resulted.

Now back to the Topic here.

I would place money that there will be a flex-fuel Camaro the first year, let me restate that, first model year as in when the vert comes out. The main differance here is just, fuel tank, lines, a sensor, and computer program.

I also have a feeling that the new Gen V engines will be the start of bringing back higher compression engines to better use E85 and other alcohol fuels.

And with all of this is why I love old cars and engines with no computer controls. When the time comes that all gas stations will be required to sell E85, my truck (with a compression already of 13:1) will require just a few turns of a screw driver and will run great on E85.
The tank is a guess on the fact that it may need some insulation so that you dont have a large amount of vapor in the tank which wouldnt be good in a crash.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #62
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
E85 does result in lower mileage. Now, Brasil has a surplus of Ethanol they make from sugar cane. But our government won't let them import it. What's wrong with this picture???
Alot of this has to do with regulations made long ago to help out the corn farmers when times were real bad.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #63
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Bottom line is farmers are making record amounts of money along with every other commodity.
You might want to ask a farmer about that. Profits are going into diesel for their equipment. Trucking is also recording record gross income, net is red pen in many cases tho.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #64
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
I didnt forget about compression ratio
I stand corrected. Sorry!
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #65
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
so you get less mpg with e85...

ok gm don't waste money on this...its a losing effort

this global warming stuff is going be looked at like y2k in short time...invest in fuel cells instead
Cost per mile is about the same for ethanol, compared to gasoline. But in addition to releasing less net carbon dioxide, they also keep more money within your country as opposed to sending it to Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, or even up to Canada.

Quote:
WOW Look what I found in only 2 minutes. An article about the negative effects Ethanol is having on our food prices and inventory and an article about record profits in the farming industry. There were actually countless articles about farmers making record profits if you look, I just do not have tome to post them all for you.

Bottom line is farmers are making record amounts of money along with every other commodity. You can follow the two links below for the articles referenced above.

Ethanol Comes Under Fire for Rising Food Prices
http://www.ewg.org/node/26725

As food prices spiral, farmers, others profit
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24840735/
Hmm, none of my uncles or cousins are seeing any of these record profits. Out of my 7 uncles 5 either operate farms or their son has taken over for them. not one of them has had anything good to say about food prices. Generally they complain that things have gotten more expensive for them.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #66
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Cost per mile is about the same for ethanol, compared to gasoline. But in addition to releasing less net carbon dioxide, they also keep more money within your country as opposed to sending it to Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, or even up to Canada.

Hmm, none of my uncles or cousins are seeing any of these record profits. Out of my 7 uncles 5 either operate farms or their son has taken over for them. not one of them has had anything good to say about food prices. Generally they complain that things have gotten more expensive for them.
Corn and Soybean farmers are seeing record profits from everything I have read. And things are getting more expensive for us all with oil and commodities at all time highs. There is no segmant of our economy that is not feeling the pinch unless maybe you are in the energy industry.
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #67
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Corn and Soybean farmers are seeing record profits from everything I have read. And things are getting more expensive for us all with oil and commodities at all time highs. There is no segmant of our economy that is not feeling the pinch unless maybe you are in the energy industry.
Either there is a disconnect in the chain where the people at the top rake in the cash while the farmer still only scrapes by. Or it could be that the situation is unique in Canada because we can't export as much to the US because of the exchange rate. Each one is as likely as the other.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #68
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Quote:
I stand corrected. Sorry!
Its cool.