Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
marsmann

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Vert M6
Question on dealership service (top related)

I debated on the title. Originally it was going to be

"Another vert top woes/blues thread..."

I am curious to get a consensus from all of your collective experiences; are dealerships incompetent, negligent or both (on purpose)? It is a pretty sad state when the average car owner seems to know more about their cars, the recalls, and service issues than the dealership service techs do.

My 2012 vert had the 'top enhancements' done back in 2012 already. Most recently, it was serviced for a 'top leak' at the GM dealer near my job. But, I noticed water again from an apparent (only to me it seems) gap in the back where water keeps coming in. So, I have taken it in again to another nearby Chevy dealer for service. This time, I specifically talked to the Jr Service Manager (Svc Mgr was unavail that day) prior to dropping it off, showed him all of the faults currently with the top and scheduled an appointment.

I drop the car off on Sunday, don't hear all day from the dealer. When I call during the day for a status I get the generic service voicemail because they are busy. Finally, towards end of day I received a call back to my inquries (left on their voicemail) and am told they are finishing up the car. I was surprised to hear that, thinking parts would need to be ordered, etc. but was feeling pretty good with the impression everything was already handled efficiently. Well, here is what I found when I picked up my car --

It was in specifically for 4 main reasons:

1. Top misaligned, causing wrinkling and buckling on driver side rear
2. Misalignment is causing excessive gap in the rear
3. Top is TORN as a result of the above, and needed replacing
4. Reprogram driver and pass windows since they catch on the top when opening the doors

Here are pics of what I got back:

Same gap in the rear as before

Same misalignment/wrinkling and buckling against frame

Same torn top :(

What is the point of working with the service advisors, entering notes in the system and leaving very *detailed* descriptions on the drop off envelopes if no one will bother to read them?

The windows were not adjusted either. So none of my 4 issues were addressed. Best I can tell, they dumped out the water in the water management system and gave me the car back with no way to prevent it from happening again. And, of course, not addressing my other problems.

What a waste of time. I called the Service Manager, who is never available, and left him a voice message in addition to the service consultant as it seems I have to schedule ANOTHER appointment to bring it back and *maybe* get the service I asked for in the first place.

It is just so frustrating when constantly dealing with disappointments like these. These dealerships serve as the face of GM, and embarass GM. This is, in part, the reason people leave the brand. I have owned GM products for more than 20 years but I am slowly beginning to come onboard with others about the overall experiences and customer service issues. I have no love for this car right now.

It seems 'good dealerships' and 'good service techs' are the exception and not the rule. sigh. I also get the brush off when bringing up topics like

'extended component warranties'
'can you bring in a retail top expert?' and
'make sure the latest parts are used (since there is a new 2014/2015 issue top).

I guess I'm just venting. Sorry for a long thread. But if anyone can recommend a GOOD dealership in SE PA please let me know!!! I'll see what happens after tomorrow when I reschedule this car again for the same service.

Last edited by marsmann; 07-07-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: title change
marsmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Contact Chevroet customer service on the forum. They will open a case for you and help get you in touch with another dealer . That's what I did and it worked out well. I got a call within 24 hrs from a GM rep that put everything in Order.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
I didn't have a lot of luck with the customer service rep on this web site. I started getting things done only after I sent an email to Chevy from their web site. I asked for a full top and frame replacement and they would not do this so they offered me a 5 year component coverage letter. In the end I had to find the local top shop who had done three other Camaro tops to get mine done.

Don't give up until they get it right, but you need to go over their (the dealerships) head now.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
I know it's beating a dead horse, but my experience was going to five or six dealers to find one that was willing and competent to work on it. Most were straight up and would tell me they didn't have a clue, one that didn't want to work on it and the last one took it with open arms and fixed it right.

I think someone tried to get a sticky thread on good and bad dealers that never materialized. I can understand why, but it would save alot of folks alot of headaches.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
My first 2012 was repurchased due to top issues among a host of other things. Being I was one of the first to go through all this, let's just say they don't want to deal with me again. My current 2012 is forming a hole above the passenger seat. I am opening a case with GM and I already made it clear what I want. 2014 top with a component coverage warranty. Be nice but firm on what you want. If a dealership refuses to do warranty work on your car they are in fact in breach of implied warranty. Also, if they damage your car while it is in their care, call the cops and file a vandalism report. Track your car via Onstar or buy a portable GPS and attach it to your car. If it moves of dealership property, report it stolen. These dealerships are getting away with to much on our cars. It is time we seriously fight back. This shit will continue until we as consumers stop them.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmann View Post
I debated on the title. Originally it was going to be

"Another vert top woes/blues thread..."

I am curious to get a consensus from all of your collective experiences; are dealerships incompetent, negligent or both (on purpose)? It is a pretty sad state when the average car owner seems to know more about their cars, the recalls, and service issues than the dealership service techs do.

My 2012 vert had the 'top enhancements' done back in 2012 already. Most recently, it was serviced for a 'top leak' at the GM dealer near my job. But, I noticed water again from an apparent (only to me it seems) gap in the back where water keeps coming in. So, I have taken it in again to another nearby Chevy dealer for service. This time, I specifically talked to the Jr Service Manager (Svc Mgr was unavail that day) prior to dropping it off, showed him all of the faults currently with the top and scheduled an appointment.

I drop the car off on Sunday, don't hear all day from the dealer. When I call during the day for a status I get the generic service voicemail because they are busy. Finally, towards end of day I received a call back to my inquries (left on their voicemail) and am told they are finishing up the car. I was surprised to hear that, thinking parts would need to be ordered, etc. but was feeling pretty good with the impression everything was already handled efficiently. Well, here is what I found when I picked up my car --

It was in specifically for 4 main reasons:

1. Top misaligned, causing wrinkling and buckling on driver side rear
2. Misalignment is causing excessive gap in the rear
3. Top is TORN as a result of the above, and needed replacing
4. Reprogram driver and pass windows since they catch on the top when opening the doors

Here are pics of what I got back:

Same gap in the rear as before

Same misalignment/wrinkling and buckling against frame

Same torn top :(

What is the point of working with the service advisors, entering notes in the system and leaving very *detailed* descriptions on the drop off envelopes if no one will bother to read them?

The windows were not adjusted either. So none of my 4 issues were addressed. Best I can tell, they dumped out the water in the water management system and gave me the car back with no way to prevent it from happening again. And, of course, not addressing my other problems.

What a waste of time. I called the Service Manager, who is never available, and left him a voice message in addition to the service consultant as it seems I have to schedule ANOTHER appointment to bring it back and *maybe* get the service I asked for in the first place.

It is just so frustrating when constantly dealing with disappointments like these. These dealerships serve as the face of GM, and embarass GM. This is, in part, the reason people leave the brand. I have owned GM products for more than 20 years but I am slowly beginning to come onboard with others about the overall experiences and customer service issues. I have no love for this car right now.

It seems 'good dealerships' and 'good service techs' are the exception and not the rule. sigh. I also get the brush off when bringing up topics like

'extended component warranties'
'can you bring in a retail top expert?' and
'make sure the latest parts are used (since there is a new 2014/2015 issue top).

I guess I'm just venting. Sorry for a long thread. But if anyone can recommend a GOOD dealership in SE PA please let me know!!! I'll see what happens after tomorrow when I reschedule this car again for the same service.
Which dealer is this incompetent? I live in SE PA and would like to know so I don't go there.

Thanks.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyll View Post
Please leave, loser. Reported spam

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Please leave, loser. Reported spam
Yeah I reported him too he is posting the same crap in every thread he can find. I bet its a virus.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
I know on the Subaru BRZ fourms (I was a prospective buyer, dont hate) there is a sticky of whitelisted and blacklisted dealers, divided into two sections, one for sales and the other for service. I found out that the dealer I went to, after the sales manager treated me like garbage cause I was a 19 yr old kid wanting to buy a new car, was on the blacklist for sales. I found it helpful.
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #10
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
DOOOOD! I soooooooooo feel your pain!

I took my car in for a door ding and small paint scrape on the bottom of a wheel well that was all on the Due Bill when I bought the car, along with getting my rally stripes put on -- wouldn't you know it, No rally stripe, No painting the scrape, but boy did they have time to back my car into a wall and put a big ole 10 x10 scrape on the upper rear bumper.

I am NEVER going back to that dealership - NOT EVER!
NOT FOR THE 2 YR MAINTENANCE!
NOT FOR ANY WARRANTY ISSUE!
NOT TO FIX ANYTHING! EVER!

I do not understand -- who do they hire?
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
marsmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMADONNA View Post
DOOOOD! I soooooooooo feel your pain!

I took my car in for a door ding and small paint scrape on the bottom of a wheel well that was all on the Due Bill when I bought the car, along with getting my rally stripes put on -- wouldn't you know it, No rally stripe, No painting the scrape, but boy did they have time to back my car into a wall and put a big ole 10 x10 scrape on the upper rear bumper.

I am NEVER going back to that dealership - NOT EVER!
NOT FOR THE 2 YR MAINTENANCE!
NOT FOR ANY WARRANTY ISSUE!
NOT TO FIX ANYTHING! EVER!

I do not understand -- who do they hire?
Maybe the same dealer?? LOL. That sounds worse than my experiences. I feel the same way about Patriot GMC in Boyertown PA (which is a separate dealer from the one I am currently working with). They bungled my service in the past.

Quick update - seems the only way to get things done is to be annoying or beligerent. I had left messages for several people over the last few days. The customer relations manager called me today in place of the service manager because now he is on vacation (again?). Either way, she stepped up where all the others failed. She addressed all my concerns and put us all on conference where we squared off the discrepancies between me, what happened, and the service techs.

Long story short, new top & hardware are on order and the plan is for me to bring it back next week. At that point they will realign everything and make sure it is all good. They will verify I have all of the proper updated systems.

I am keeping this thread open to track and monitor this case and plan to post pics if/when the top is replaced and repaired. Anything else I should ask for at this time regarding the top/parts?

I am hoping for the best, but I echo some of the sentiments already posted on these forums; it has become increasingly frustrating over the years that dealerships, in general, don't know what they are doing or that they are not willing to honor and back their products and service. This dealer was very good to me in the past with the previous service manager so we will see what happens with the new crew! If they come through I will give them a shout out for taking care of me.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
marsmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarfey View Post
I know on the Subaru BRZ fourms (I was a prospective buyer, dont hate) there is a sticky of whitelisted and blacklisted dealers, divided into two sections, one for sales and the other for service. I found out that the dealer I went to, after the sales manager treated me like garbage cause I was a 19 yr old kid wanting to buy a new car, was on the blacklist for sales. I found it helpful.
is that list for subarus only or chevy too?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I would ask for a component coverage warranty for the top
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmann View Post
is that list for subarus only or chevy too?
It was just Subaru Dealerships, but I'm sure if we get people posting their experiences, we can create a comprehensive list of whats good and whats bad for Chevrolet Dealerships.
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote