Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Would adding Ram Air hood be too much

http://www.pfyc.com/SC1210.html for a better view look at the 5th picture.

I have a cold air inductions intake system with a scoop. I've been looking at this sinister ram air hood. Looks like I would have to remove the glass top of the box for it to work, but I was curious if this could be too much air coming from the upper and lower part of the intake system. Also curious if I were to open the glass top if it would make the air warm up and therefore make it less adequate. Any opinions?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Just use a weather strip around the former intake window opening to create a seal on the bottom of the hood when it is closed. It is not pretty but it can be done.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
http://www.pfyc.com/SC1210.html for a better view look at the 5th picture.

I have a cold air inductions intake system with a scoop. I've been looking at this sinister ram air hood. Looks like I would have to remove the glass top of the box for it to work, but I was curious if this could be too much air coming from the upper and lower part of the intake system. Also curious if I were to open the glass top if it would make the air warm up and therefore make it less adequate. Any opinions?
If I'm not mistaken it was shown that on a stock tune it is too much air and the car can not adjust by itself. However if you have the car tuned for the increased air then you'll be fine.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
rberns

I was wondering that too. If i do decide to get this hood i will probably plug the hole.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Old 03-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
SSMKNU2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Hit up Eric with mpd1. Same type of styling but it was designed to be used in conjunction with CAI incs intake. Eric even has the proper seals to be used on the intake so that it seals properly to the hood without leaks. His quality hoods are top notch and I would highly recommend looking up his z style hood. I'm currently running this exact setup.
http://www.mpd1.com/content/cam_zforce.html
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
rberns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMKNU2 View Post
Hit up Eric with mpd1. Same type of styling but it was designed to be used in conjunction with CAI incs intake. Eric even has the proper seals to be used on the intake so that it seals properly to the hood without leaks. His quality hoods are top notch and I would highly recommend looking up his z style hood. I'm currently running this exact setup.
http://www.mpd1.com/content/cam_zforce.html
I've looked at this set up too, but not sure I like the pointed scoop part. I like how the sinister hood is flat along the scoop. Also, I am not exactly looking for the hood scoop to be an operational ram air hood, but was just more curious if this in conjuction with the scoop be an over load of air entering the intake.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
SSMKNU2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
I've looked at this set up too, but not sure I like the pointed scoop part. I like how the sinister hood is flat along the scoop. Also, I am not exactly looking for the hood scoop to be an operational ram air hood, but was just more curious if this in conjunction with the scoop be an over load of air entering the intake.
Yea it kinda goes with the styling your looking for. I personally liked the pointed scoop since it flowed better with the mail slot on the SS bumper. Never really thought about the extra airflow. If I had to guess, and I'm sure Chase could confirm or deny this. But as long as you have the "strong" MAF sensor installed, I would guess you should be ok with the extra airflow. I wasnt cautioned about the setup from either, so I cant see there being a cause for concern.

Last edited by SSMKNU2; 03-20-2013 at 09:11 PM.
SSMKNU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
When I get around to doing a hood I am just going to look for something that removes heat. You already have CAI intake and scoop. Now all you need to do is complement the 2 by helping to reduce air temp in the engine bay. There are plenty of nice looking hoods that will accomplish this. Good luck Ryan.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Other option

I don't know much about the Sinister hood but I do own a Nickey Chicago Stinger hood with Ram Air. I also have a G5CR CAI that has no heat shield or cover. They are on the car for 2 years now and I did'nt get any CEL or other problems.

Cold air is coming directly to the open filter and I feel that my engine is breathing a lot. So you could go this way. Sinister hood I don't know much, but Nickey has a water management system that takes all the rain or washing water in front of the hood and lets the water go doen the hood hook. I never had any water on the engine because of rain or whatso ever. Stinger hood is available at Nickey Chicago only, but the hood is fabricated by ACS Composite and it's top quality.

Here's a few pics.

Name:  devant sep 2012.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  137.2 KB

Name:  hawkesbury sep 4 2011 01.jog.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  157.1 KB

Name:  ma camaro capot ouver01.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  may2012 golf town02.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  breather1.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  168.5 KB
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
Eric-MPD1.com

Drives: Cool parts for cool cars
MPD1 "Z Force" & "Force 5" hoods

Most all aftermarket hoods are somewhat generic in their ram air designs. At MPD1 we have been working with CAI inc since before 2004 making hoods featuring a dedicated ram air or cowl induction setup. The picture below shows this setup on Danny's (Dragom) Camaro. Ram air and water intake management are addressed to perfection here
Attached Images

Eric-MPD1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-MPD1.com View Post
Most all aftermarket hoods are somewhat generic in their ram air designs. At MPD1 we have been working with CAI inc since before 2004 making hoods featuring a dedicated ram air or cowl induction setup. The picture below shows this setup on Danny's (Dragom) Camaro. Ram air and water intake management are addressed to perfection here
I want your Cowl hood SO damn bad and think it would just set my car off but man, it is too much monies
Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
Eric-MPD1.com

Drives: Cool parts for cool cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutro View Post
I want your Cowl hood SO damn bad and think it would just set my car off but man, it is too much monies
Thank you!

We have always been flexible with customers in terms of making a deposit then payments. Let me know if I can help you. Phone call is best.
Eric-MPD1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-MPD1.com View Post
Thank you!

We have always been flexible with customers in terms of making a deposit then payments. Let me know if I can help you. Phone call is best.
looks pretty nice. is it aluminum or glass? i take it a real good tune would be needed to support it? also can you expand on the sealing from engine air and the water management?

if you ever get one to work with my acs tl1 hood insert i am so in for gettin my cai inc some more air on my track days
Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
when I added the Ram Air Intake hood and the ADM Racing scoop I had to have my tune re-adjusted. Just my .02
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote