Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #71
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker89 View Post
Im 19 and will be 20 in october and i paid for a 2006 F150 XLT in a year which ran me $20000 and i ordered a black 2SS Camaro on 5/27. Insurance, Gas, and the camaro will be paid for by me. I already have put 9000 down in 2months and support myself. I think that if a kid my age wants to buy a car and can afford to without screwing up and is responsible enough to do so then its more power to him/her. i was also taught at a very young age by my dad and grandfather who both have passed away in the passed year that its very important to balance everything out and its been working out very good so far that is why i am able to do what im doing.

Dang.... You must have one good paying job there, not many people can afford $4500 a month on just one bill and support themselves ..... Good Job !!!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #72
bond2

Drives: '16 2SS M6,'96 WS6 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakout View Post
It depends on a lot of things...

It depends on how you were brought up.
It depends on if said "kid" has demonstrated a strong sense of responsibility, respect, work ethic, moral values, etc.
It depends on if they're spoiled rotten, or brought up by a humble, everyday, middle-class family.
It also depends on if said "kid" is a skilled driver.
I got my 1996 WS6 Trans Am, when I was 16 and a sophomore in High School. My parents considered all of the above and decided I was responsible enough to have one. I've babied and pampered my TA ever since. I'm not gonna say I didn't put the pedal to metal on numerous occasions, but I always used good judgment, and would never put somebody else at risk. i.e. and empty road, smoothly paved, dry conditions, and by myself. I got my first Go kart at 8 years old, so that helped pave the way to good driving and responsibility with a vehicle.

As a parent now I'll use the same good judgment with my own son when he turns 16. Chances are he'll get my V6 Camaro if I still own it.
'99 30th anniv TA vert #988- M6

bond2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #73
Blakout

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond2 View Post
I got my 1996 WS6 Trans Am, when I was 16 and a sophomore in High School. My parents considered all of the above and decided I was responsible enough to have one. I've babied and pampered my TA ever since. I'm not gonna say I didn't put the pedal to metal on numerous occasions, but I always used good judgment, and would never put somebody else at risk. i.e. and empty road, smoothly paved, dry conditions, and by myself. I got my first Go kart at 8 years old, so that helped pave the way to good driving and responsibility with a vehicle.

As a parent now I'll use the same good judgment with my own son when he turns 16. Chances are he'll get my V6 Camaro if I still own it.
Exactly. And come to think of it now, it's not just considering the potential driver's abilities. You also (if you're the parent buying the car) have to think about the other idiots out there driving, parking, opening doors, and walking by. Because some accidents are "the other guy's" fault. It would suck to have an expensive car like this replaced, especially if it was custom built to how you wanted it.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #74
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I wouldn't mind my kid driving an automatic V6 Camaro..However I would not...never...buy my kid an SS... That is looking for trouble, no matter how safe the car is..
After driving an SS around Detroit/Dearborn for a couple of days, I agree completely with that statement. You can get yourself into big trouble REAL quick with this car if you don't know what your doing.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #75
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstproductions View Post
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/id...rain_in_drive/

"They experience a steady erosion of physical capabilities like strength, eyesight, and hearing. And perhaps more importantly, they also lose the specific cognitive skills that driving requires."

Im 16, still do not have my license (will have it by the time my camaro arrives), and ordered a 1LT Auto. I know how to drive a stick but it would just be a hassle for me and my life in the city. I would of gotten a SS but insurance is way too high for my age. I am very responsible and judging from some of the photos of wrecks on this site alot more responsible then some of you. I am employed, make good grades, and definetly help out around the house. I am also paying for a portion of the cost of the car. Yet I still get criticized for getting this car at my age.
I've had my license longer than you've lived. Sometimes wrecks happen tue to things the person in the OTHER vehicle does too. How about when you're twice as old you tell us how responsible you are. You sound like a very good boy though. Your mother and sunday school teacher must be proud.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #76
Sticker89

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Dang.... You must have one good paying job there, not many people can afford $4500 a month on just one bill and support themselves ..... Good Job !!!
im lucky enough to have had a dad and grandfather who owned a natural stone supply business in which when they passed away i started running for my grandmother who is still alive. And i also do alot of natural stone work on the side for extra money too. The Stone installs are where i make the majority of my money cuz i only have to pay myself.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #77
MajikMD

Drives: 2SS/RS, 6spd, IOM, blk hockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikarus View Post
it's not that they have them, I especially love the little jr gearheads who save up and earn them, it's the spoiled brat yuppie kids who's parents throw money at them and believe this makes them a good Parent.

To you youngsters who are earning and adoring your new Camaro's my hats off you deserve something fun and cool!

I worked for a year and a half bumming rides to work to buy my first car - a 1971 Chevelle SS. Still have it. 15 years now in fact. . Learned to work on eveything on that car.
MajikMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #78
Rickscamero

Drives: Infiniti G35 Coupe
If anyone takes objection with a young adult (and that is what they are - NOT KIDS) owning a Camaro all I have to say is:

YOU KNOW YOU ARE AN OLD FART WHEN .......

My parents said to me - we will spend what ever u want on ur education, but we're not buying you a car. I went through college, law school and my first yr. as a lawyer - riding public transit.

My first car was a G35 Coupe - that I owned when I was 26. I am know 30 - and about to own a camaro.
Rickscamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #79
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker89 View Post
im lucky enough to have had a dad and grandfather who owned a natural stone supply business in which when they passed away i started running for my grandmother who is still alive. And i also do alot of natural stone work on the side for extra money too. The Stone installs are where i make the majority of my money cuz i only have to pay myself.

Good to see there are still some skilled craftsman still out there. Myself I've always worked with my hands for a living. I was a Tool Maker and Millwright for 20 years in Detroit building production welding lines for the big 3. Then I moved to Florida and went back to school and got a degree in Computer Science. Now I'm semi retired and working for my wife..... (go figure) She owns a in home daycare where I'm head cook and bottle wash ......

P.S. Remember to always put pride into your craft, the day your heart isn't in it anymore is the day to move on....
Old 07-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #80
myblackcamaros

Drives: #156 ZL575, 97 SS, 87 IROC-Z
I agree with the OP partially and others on this thread as well. When I was in high school I built my first car almost from the ground up. I did everything but the paint and some of the interior. It was a 71 Chevelle SS clone. I changed the dash panel, cowl hood, 12 bolt rearend and put on all the correct badges/emblems. I built my first engine which was a 406 small block with decent heads, Comp Cam, headers etc. That car ran 12.40's back in 1986. I believe because I built it and payed for it myself. I respected that car alot more than someone who got handed a car. By the way that car had no ac or ps. Girls did not want to date in an old hot rod with no creature comforts so I sold it and put a big down payment on my first Camaro, a white 1986 IROC-Z. I met my wife in that car. That was my favorite Camaro till I got this new one.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #81
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickscamero View Post
If anyone takes objection with a young adult (and that is what they are - NOT KIDS) owning a Camaro all I have to say is:

YOU KNOW YOU ARE AN OLD FART WHEN .......

My parents said to me - we will spend what ever u want on ur education, but we're not buying you a car. I went through college, law school and my first yr. as a lawyer - riding public transit.

My first car was a G35 Coupe - that I owned when I was 26. I am know 30 - and about to own a camaro.
That was my parents' plan too, but since I ended up at a good in-state university with a partial scholarship instead of some $30k-a-year school on the coast, I was able to pull the "you can buy this thing for me since you were planning on spending that money on my in college anyway" card a few times - for help with rent and eventually for the used Pontiac in my 4th year.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #82
Rusky

Drives: 1998 GMC C1500 Ext. Cab 4.3L
It looks like im the 6th one to turn 20 in October(31st)...

I got a new job a few months ago and now im saving up for a down payment for a CGM 2SS. I have pretty good good credit (740) and will be paying for everything myself.

As far as power goes, i feel that i will be able to handle it pretty good. Ive ridden motocross/offroad for most of my life so I can control myself pretty good when it comes to dangerous situations.

It really depends on what kind of mindset you have... I have some friends in their 20's that I wouldnt even trust on a bike! (One of them broke his arm on a tricycle... )
Rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #83
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
All can not be painted with the swipe of a single brush but statistics support the opinions of many in this thread. Heck do a search on You Tube for street racing. The problem is, the "it can't or won't happen to me" Syndrome. I am betting that these two brothers thought that, bet they thought they were good drivers and yes these are young men, not boys. It does and can happen! On the point of privilege and wealth, one was driving a BMW and the other an Audi. Perhaps they bought these cars themselves but does wealth give some a false sense of entitlement, the belief that they are better, more important then anyone else on the roads? One thing is for certain, they may have a great deal of time on their hands (life behind bars)to think about it.

Name:  News Article.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  144.8 KB

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #84
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I would have to judge each teen driver on there character and how they drive. They could cause damage or loss of life in a Kia rio if they trashed on it.

But when they screw up they should loose the car.

As far as Kids and Camaro's, modern teens would take offense to being called "kid" unless you had a bond with them first and they understand the term.

This is a Kid driving.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote