Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLE-B-TUNA View Post
Good job and nice write up. I'm going to be doing the same in the near future but haven't picked out a speaker yet, how do you like the Hertz? Are they bright/harsh at higher volumes? I'm looking for something that won't make my ears bleed, I like it loud for long periods of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent WD-40 View Post
Too soon to say. I haven't finished the passenger side yet so I don't really have a good sense with just one speaker. I ran out of wire and didn't get it back together just yet.

I'll post my impressions when I do get it finished up though.
Now that I have it fished up and have had a chance to listen for a bit. I love the Hertz! IMO they are very clear but without being too harsh, even at high volumes. I had some MB Quarts in my truck (older ones from around 2002-2003) and the Hertz remind me of those but a but less harsh in the highs.

I will say the Hertz speakers sound better in my car than they did on the board at the dealer. It is a more balanced sound in the car. They sounded a bit bright at the dealer.

Sound deadening the doors also seems to have cut down on the tire/road noise a fair amount too. Not as much as sound deadening the trunk area did, but still worth it. The doors sound so much more solid too. So that was also a big win.
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #16
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent WD-40 View Post

Through all this I did learn that class D amps can cause radio reception issues. Some cars are better than others and where you have the amp installed can also have an effect. It sounds like the Camaro is more sensitive to class D interference than other vehicles. The tech support guy I spoke with at JL Audio said he has personally done 6 installs with that amp and only 1 of them had an issue a radio reception issue.

I wonder if the Camaro is more affected since the radio antenna is in the rear window.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
I wonder if the Camaro is more affected since the radio antenna is in the rear window.
That was sort of what I was thinking too. I also had the amp mounted in the spare tire well which probably didn't help. I didn't want to mess with moving things around and still not have it work. So I went with a new amp which I knew would fix the problem.

I spoke with another JL rep that said he had 2 of the HD900/5 amps in his Escalade without any issue so it really seems this is a hit or miss thing. I just got lucky...
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I sent the company an email and they just went live with the product on their website.

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK075

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #19
JohnnyComeLately

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
I was initially steered by quite a few dealers to the Hertz speakers when I mentioned I loved MB Quarts "back in the day." I ran them in my Honda CRX back in the mid-90s, and they were tight, bright, but not harsh. I like a soft dome usually more than a hard dome tweeter, but the soft has to be spot on with sounds like the drum's high-hat, etc. If the drummer is just barely hitting the highhat mid-stick, I want to hear the "tick tick", and I want to hear the guitarists slide his fingers along the frets, even at low volume. If you like these intricate, details highs, without getting "bright" (even on hot days which will influence tweeter performance), you will like the Hertz speakers.