Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #29
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
So your stance is that a tune causes damage to the vehicle?
Yes and no. It CAN cause damage, but it may not. But I think you're missing the point. That's not the crux of GM's issue concerning aftermarket tunes.

If the tune is done "incorrectly", meaning paramater settings are too far out of specifications for safe operation of the components it controls, then yes. Such as say, a glitch in the aftermarket tune waits to turn on the electric cooling fans until too high of a temperature, and you blow a coolant hose because of the higher temps, and then melt a piston, or lean out the fuel trims too much and melt a piston, etc. Would you still classify a melted piston as a GM warranty defect?

If the aftermarket tune is done "correctly", meaning that the parameters are outside GM specifications, but within the envelope under the fail point that the components can withstand, it likely won't cause damage to the engine. This is the tune that people seek. They don't want a tune that could damage their car, within warranty period or not.

Some dealers will work with you, others won't. It's up to the dealership mainly. So that's why it behooves you to have as good a working relationship with the service guys as you can.

Not all warranty claims require an ECM snapshot sent to GM. But if GM requests for and gets a snapshot of your aftermarket ECM tune, regardless if it's done right or wrong, they're going to deny any warranty claim against a "covered" drivetrain part. It's just how they're operating now. The good thing is, if you don't try and claim the failure against the warranty, you have nothing to worry about. But if you do try and claim it, they've got every right to investigate the root cause since they'd be paying for it.

BTW, GM isn't the only company that does stuff like this. For example, Dell says (or at least they used to) if you used a laptop battery that wasn't an authentic Dell part, and your computer goes belly up, so sorry, no warranty.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #30
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
It can, what did the tune do, lean it out, fatten it up, maybe cause excessive carbon buildup or a lean condition burning pistons, I am not against tunes, my silverado is tuned. but the factory tries to set it up for the best economy and prolonged life, making addl HP and changing the factory values can make differences in reliability. These new engines can be wound up pretty tight and make impressive HP reliably. They only need to cover their tune and parts, if the parameters change then they are no longer under obligation. Just like a guy who takes his car to the track and breaks a rear end, if the dealer finds out, he can deny the warranty for that failure.
Im not saying you cant mistune or cause damage wit a tune, its the statement that its possible so we void it that is the issue, if GM admited that there was a possibility that it wouldn’t, then GM would look at what was done, possible now, this isn’t the 80's anymore, and decide by that if the tune caused the issue. they don’t, they hook up a laptop, go oh no this horrible person has tuned this car in some fashion, and void it.

If we are going to void the warranty for what might cause damage without checking first, you might as well void everyones warranty in Arizona, I mean driving in 120+ conditions could cause engine failure, oh and everyone up north who puts the heavier winter tires on, no more warranty on your suspention buddy........

By just arbitrarily voiding the warranty regardless of what was done, GM is making a statement that any tune whatsoever will damage the car. By defending GM for voiding the warranty you are by default claiming the same.

If GM had come back and stated, well you tuned out the O2 sensors this happened, or you made it to lean that happened, I could see it. But to just flat out say, we don’t care how much or how little you did its voided, you are stating that any tune will cause damage. I mean you turn the O2 sensors off and suddenly the airbags arent covered?

GM tunes the engines themselves, and third party, granted supposedly under GM supervision do as well, yet if a third party outside of GM, a proffesional who has been tuning cars for many years, tunes the car, suddenly that’s the sole reason for anything going bad. Who’s to say the tune done somewhere else isn’t exactly like the tune done on GM superchargers for example? If its good enough for GM in one case it should be good enough for GM in all cases. But they don’t even check.....

So it’s not a loaded question, by just voiding it out of hand without even looking you are stating any tune whatsoever is harmful to the vehicle.

You are just eating up the line of BS GM puts out that it does, saving them millions in auto repairs, because they know, most people who buy muscle cars are going to mod them, heck, they sale them in such a way as to invite it, even touting when their car beats a competitor in races with heavily modded vehicles as examples of why you should buy theirs.

When they first stated tunes voided the contract years ago, maybe they couldn’t of pulled them as easily and seen what was done, but that stopped being the case years ago, but they haven’t changed that stupid rule because people continue to scoop up what they say like its golden truth, as if they were an unbiased source.

I still want to see some viable study from an unbiased thorough test, stating that Tunes cause more damage to these vehicles than untuned. Even GM doesn’t put that out, they simply say its so and everyone just goes along with it.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #31
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelSS View Post
I talked to my local dealership here in Concord, Ca and the service tech told me that a tune doesnt void my warranty. Only if i add forced induction or a chip. I am waiting to get this in writing or see some sort of paper work on it. I really want to get the AFM tuned out so this is something i am thinking about doing but like my warranty. Will see.......
A tune voids your warranty. But if you can get in writing from them that tuning is OK and they will warranty your car I'd get that paper laminated and keep it in a safe.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #32
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
I have a tune, my warranty is not voided. I have a understanding with my dealer, if there is a warranty problem and it is not related to the tune, they will cover it. If I have a warranty related failure that requires a screen shot, they will call me first and let me decide if I want them to do that. So at this point my warranty is not voided, I have had warranty work done, not related to tune issues. If I were to have a internal failure, that would probably be a different matter. I had a V8 solstice that broke rear ends, they replace 3 under warranty. The V8 was the cause, but no data was needed to send to GM so they repaired it no questions asked. It all comes down to the RELATIONSHIP you have with your dealer....I never show my a$$ at the dealer, gets a lot more than the complainer.
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #33
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
I have a tune, my warranty is not voided. I have a understanding with my dealer, if there is a warranty problem and it is not related to the tune, they will cover it. If I have a warranty related failure that requires a screen shot, they will call me first and let me decide if I want them to do that. So at this point my warranty is not voided, I have had warranty work done, not related to tune issues. If I were to have a internal failure, that would probably be a different matter. I had a V8 solstice that broke rear ends, they replace 3 under warranty. The V8 was the cause, but no data was needed to send to GM so they repaired it no questions asked. It all comes down to the RELATIONSHIP you have with your dealer....I never show my a$$ at the dealer, gets a lot more than the complainer.
OK you're right your warranty is voided, but it WILL be voided once GM finds out.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #34
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
It should also be noted that dealers modifying new vehicles and installing equipment, parts and accessories obtained from sources not authorized by GM are responsible for complying with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Certain non-approved parts or assemblies, installed by the dealer or its agent not authorized by GM, may result in a change to the vehicle's design characteristics and may affect the vehicle's ability to conform to federal law. Dealers must fully understand that non-GM approved parts may not have been validated, tested or certified for use. This puts the dealer at risk for potential liability in the event of a part or vehicle failure. If a GM part failure occurs as the result of the installation or use of a non-GM approved part, the warranty will not be honored.

Revised engine calibrations downloaded for the engine control module.
Calibration modules which connect to the vehicle diagnostic connector.
Modification to the engine turbocharger waste gate.
Although the installation of these devices, or modification of vehicle components, can increase engine horsepower and torque, they may also negatively affect the engine emissions, reliability and/or durability. In addition, other powertrain components, such as transmissions, universal joints, drive shafts, and front/rear axle components, can be stressed beyond design safety limits by the installation of these devices.
General Motors does not support or endorse the use of devices or modifications that, when installed, increase the engine horsepower and torque. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy that prevents any UNAUTHORIZED dealer warranty claim submissions to any remaining warranty coverage, to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM (aftermarket) calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #35
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelSS View Post
I talked to my local dealership here in Concord, Ca and the service tech told me that a tune doesnt void my warranty. Only if i add forced induction or a chip. I am waiting to get this in writing or see some sort of paper work on it. I really want to get the AFM tuned out so this is something i am thinking about doing but like my warranty. Will see.......
It is not up to the dealer if your warranty is voided or not. It is 100% up to GM and if they find out then your power train warranty goes out the window regardless of your agreement with the dealer.

Also I wouldn't trust that tech anymore. Any tech nowadays knows that on new cars chip = tune. He said you can tune it but can't chip it? They are the same thing.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #36
JewelSS
Norcal Camaros

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS L99
Just to update, i took my car into the dealer cause my usb port stopped working and the tech i had been talking to before no longer works there and they wouldnt tell me why. Glad i didnt mess with the ECM...
Blaque Diamond Wheels BD23's 20x10, Hankook V12 275, AAC footwell lighting, Switchback LED's, AAC Mailslot scanner, AAC underhood, grill & underbody led lighting, AAC Plasma fogs, Eagle eye HIDs, RJT Painted calipers, RJT painted engine bay, Viteese Paddle Shifters, CFD Hurst style Shifter, RJT painted speedo & gauge trim, RotoFab CAI, TSP 2" Headers with full 3" XS Power exhaust, Granatelli Slotted rotors & Hawk HPS pads, ACS Side Rockers, ACS Front splitter, ZL1 Grill, Havoc Rear diffuser, BMR 1.4 Springs, BMR Strut tower brace, BMR F/R Sway Bars, BMR Trailing Arms,
JewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
longtubes, tune, unvoid, void, warrenty