Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
bigssc
Account Suspended

Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2SS View Post
Warranty.....if it breaks replace it with better parts. Lol
brotha! unless were talking blown motor or chewed up trans.. than the dealer can fix that LOL
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #16
Craig B

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
Is your warranty worth anything to you? If not, go for the CAI, maybe a VMAX TB, LT headers, high flow cats, and a cat back with a tune. If someone does the labor and the tune properly you are looking at around $4k for parts and labor and you will net around 50rwhp. I don't think it is worth it as these cars are heavy and where I live there are many Turbo S's, 458's, GTR's, Z06's, ZR1's, and more that you would never be able to keep up with street tires, let alone slicks. I would spend an additional $4k and get a Magnuson supercharger installed and tuned and have a nice reliable sleeper that gets good mpg with an extra 120rwhp. Again, IMHO I would start off with a CAI and a Range AFM delete unit. If a problem arose relating to the engine or drivetrain it takes a second to pull out the Range and about 30 minutes to put back the factory intake. As for catbacks on a stock car, noise, some weight savings of ~30lbs, and a cleaner look would be the advantages. Gains would be ~0-5rwhp and your exhaust warranty would be void, unless you wanted to spend a few hours putting the stock unit back on. Don't forget about the suspension. Good luck with your decision.
Where are you getting Magnuson superchargers for $4000 ?? That's a great deal. I would buy a new 1 for that price, maybe I buy 2 for that price and keep 1 on the shelf.
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #17
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
A stock LS3 makes 365-380 at the back wheels. Things got better for 2013's with electric power steering taking away a belt off the engine and the NPP exhaust being out.

I have NPP, CAI, VMAX TB and am at 402 at the back wheels.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
A stock LS3 makes 365-380 at the back wheels. Things got better for 2013's with electric power steering taking away a belt off the engine and the NPP exhaust being out.

Nice! No Vmax wedge, cai scoop, or tune? What kind of dyno?

Wondering about my own 1LE.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criag B View Post
Where are you getting Magnuson superchargers for $4000 ?? That's a great deal. I would buy a new 1 for that price, maybe I buy 2 for that price and keep 1 on the shelf.
he was saying with 4k for headers, intake, exhaust, plus a tune it wasnt worth it, better to save that 4 grand and save up 4 more on top and buy a supercharger for 8k.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
bigssc
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post

okay cool but im auto so does the L99 make similar power to the wheels? i know it wont make as much out of the box because its 26hp lower to start. so im thinking for L99'ers its probably more like 340 to the wheels and 400 at the crank? only a 60 hp loss from front to back?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigssc View Post
okay cool but im auto so does the L99 make similar power to the wheels? i know it wont make as much out of the box because its 26hp lower to start. so im thinking for L99'ers its probably more like 340 to the wheels and 400 at the crank? only a 60 hp loss from front to back?
They average a little lower than that. Most dyno in the 330whp range. That being said, stock for stock, a L99 will win many 1/4 mile races unless the M6 driver hits his mark on every shift. The average L99 gain with CAI, LT's, and a tune is right around 360-370whp. A catback on this car is widely known as sound mod only. There MIGHT be a few HP left in the OEM press bends but nothing more than 3-5. There's no way in hell your buddy gained 100whp with just those bolt-ons. It's just not possible. I'll bet you he added up all the expected gains from each and came up with a number. 40 from LT's, 25 from CAI, 15 from exhaust, and 20 from tune. That comes to 100whp which is close to his quoted gains. All of those numbers are commonly advertised gains from some manufacturers. They would also be FALSE in most cases.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
Texas2SS
Vroom

Drives: Rarely
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
They average a little lower than that. Most dyno in the 330whp range. That being said, stock for stock, a L99 will win many 1/4 mile races unless the M6 driver hits his mark on every shift. The average L99 gain with CAI, LT's, and a tune is right around 360-370whp. A catback on this car is widely known as sound mod only. There MIGHT be a few HP left in the OEM press bends but nothing more than 3-5. There's no way in hell your buddy gained 100whp with just those bolt-ons. It's just not possible. I'll bet you he added up all the expected gains from each and came up with a number. 40 from LT's, 25 from CAI, 15 from exhaust, and 20 from tune. That comes to 100whp which is close to his quoted gains. All of those numbers are commonly advertised gains from some manufacturers. They would also be FALSE in most cases.
I'll just leave this here... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #23
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
he was saying with 4k for headers, intake, exhaust, plus a tune it wasnt worth it, better to save that 4 grand and save up 4 more on top and buy a supercharger for 8k.
Correct.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
well i already have the intake and Range v8 and my friends father owns american racing headers so i could get the headers for around 750 and i would use their exhaust system as well because of the discount i would get, so i wouldnt spend anywhere near 4k. more like 2.5k with install and 400 for a tune so around 3k max. but yes i dont want to lose my warranty yet so im going to wait on that stuff for now. but in ur opinion the bolt ons should be avoided?
I guess it depends on what state you live in. I live in the CSSR and I don't want to deal with issues that are not CARB legal. There isn't much you can do besides what I mentioned previously. I like the Magnusson because it is CARB legal and it makes some real hp. If headers are not an issue in your state you could install them with a catback and not do a tune. Obviously, you wouldn't get the most out of them, but, there would be a difference. Again, the headers and the catbacks would void your exhaust warranty unless you were willing to do a R&R, which, would be a PITA.
I contacted Hennessey yesterday about there HPE600 package, which, is California compliant. It is $12k, but, it includes everything and their cars get registered with NADA and come with a 3yr/36k warranty. It is a lot of money and it is anywhere from $2-4k more than just a supercharger install and tune by other shops, but, I think it is worth it for the name, warranty, and resale as compared. Tough decisions for you, cam, headers, F.I.? Or just a CAI, PTB, Range, catbacks. Again, good luck with your choices and I love your color. Mine is black also. Hard to beat when it's clean.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #25
Patten

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS Inferno Orange
I just had my 2012 Camaro LS3 M6 tuned and it dynoed at 410 WHP, 399 WTQ at 99 degrees F. I have long tube headers, high flow cats, vmax tb, and a cold air intake. My pre mod baseline dyno was 371 WHP, 362 WTQ at 91 F.
Patten is offline   Reply With Quote