Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2010 Camaro5 Fest (I)

Old 01-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #169
Abygale

Drives: .
Hi ladies.

I hope everything is going well and that everyone had a great holiday season.

I'm so impressed with what you ladies are doing. I looked into the P90x system and that looks like a great system but I'm not sure it's for me. I just want to look lean and toned, not like a body builder, so I'm just doing circuit machines and cardio workouts.

Just let me know when you all want to swap pictures and I'll get one taken.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #170
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Hi ladies.

I'm so impressed with what you ladies are doing. I looked into the P90x system and that looks like a great system but I'm not sure it's for me. I just want to look lean and toned, not like a body builder, so I'm just doing circuit machines and cardio workouts.

I usually stay far away from this thread, but today, decided to peak in..glad I did. I am a trainer an would be more than happy to answer some questions. But Abygale, you will not ever, ever look like a bodybuilder unless you start manipulating your hormones. Women lifting weights will only develop their muscles they already have.. not make them bigger. Well, it will 'appear' bigger when all the 'flab' is gone.

The P90x is good for cardio and losing weight. But not good for gaining strength and size. It is also good to help you stay in shape if you have an injury to keep you from lifting or using machines. It's has it's purpose for certain people, depending on goals.

You can easily get that toned, lean, slim, figure with a proper diet and moderate exercise. But like others have stated, it's a commitment to stay away from those good-ol-tastin' BAD stuff. Diet is key here. Big things to stay away from.. diet sodas, fried or heavy starch foods, and things high in bad-fats.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #171
Bonnie
Bonfyre

Drives: C6, 2005 Corvette
Quote:
Hi ladies.

I'm not really doing the p90x by the book, I'm doing my own cardio and just doing light workouts with dumbells and pushups for upper body, and squats, lunges etc. more intense workouts for lowerbody anyway, I guess I can be the first one to send some pics since my other outfit came in, woo hoo I'll send a PM sometime today!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #172
Bonnie
Bonfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I usually stay far away from this thread, but today, decided to peak in..glad I did. I am a trainer an would be more than happy to answer some questions. But Abygale, you will not ever, ever look like a bodybuilder unless you start manipulating your hormones. Women lifting weights will only develop their muscles they already have.. not make them bigger. Well, it will 'appear' bigger when all the 'flab' is gone.

The P90x is good for cardio and losing weight. But not good for gaining strength and size. It is also good to help you stay in shape if you have an injury to keep you from lifting or using machines. It's has it's purpose for certain people, depending on goals.

You can easily get that toned, lean, slim, figure with a proper diet and moderate exercise. But like others have stated, it's a commitment to stay away from those good-ol-tastin' stuff. Diet is key here. Big things to stay away from.. diet sodas, fried or heavy starch foods, and things high in bad-fats.
It didnt make me bulky I also did the lean version of the p90x there is more cardio and light workouts w/weights and your right the diet your on is probably 70% of how lean you look.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #173
Abygale

Agreed on the diet for sure. Cutting sugar and high carb foods, and junk food out of the diet yields great results. Unfortunately or fortunately, not sure which, my body responds very well to resistance training. I opt for higher reps with lower weights because I don't want my muscles looking big.

I follow a combination of Adkins and the Blood Type Diet, and it works extremely well for me. I have O+ blood so my body does very well on the Adkins type (high protein and low carb) diet, whereas someone with A or AB blood would only make their health worse with a diet like that.

I might look into the P90x system some more, but what I'm doing now seems to be working fine for me and I think that's really the key. Each person needs to find what works for them.

BTW: Here are my current stats at the beginning of my journey: 18% body fat and a BMI of 17% (I have a small frame). My goal is to be at 16-17% body fat by the end of March.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #174
Bonnie
Bonfyre

Quote:
Agreed on the diet for sure. Cutting sugar and high carb foods, and junk food out of the diet yields great results. Unfortunately or fortunately, not sure which, my body responds very well to resistance training. I opt for higher reps with lower weights because I don't want my muscles looking big.

I follow a combination of Adkins and the Blood Type Diet, and it works extremely well for me. I have O+ blood so my body does very well on the Adkins type (high protein and low carb) diet, whereas someone with A or AB blood would only make their health worse with a diet like that.

I might look into the P90x system some more, but what I'm doing now seems to be working fine for me and I think that's really the key. Each person needs to find what works for them.

BTW: Here are my current stats at the beginning of my journey: 18% body fat and a BMI of 17% (I have a small frame). My goal is to be at 16-17% body fat by the end of March.
Thats great you know your stats. I'm not sure what mine are but it cant be more than 20% I just have a few pounds of holiday weight to lose my muscle tone is pretty much there, I just need to keep up the working out and get through the hardest part THE DIET! anyway I'll send you a PM of where I'm at so far and of my new outfit!!! BTW a few years back my dad talked a lot about the blood type diet I'm O+ as well maybe thats why I crave meat over carbs.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #175
Abygale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Thats great you know your stats. I'm not sure what mine are but it cant be more than 20% I just have a few pounds of holiday weight to lose my muscle tone is pretty much there, I just need to keep up the working out and get through the hardest part THE DIET! anyway I'll send you a PM of where I'm at so far and of my new outfit!!! BTW a few years back my dad talked a lot about the blood type diet I'm O+ as well maybe thats why I crave meat over carbs.
I can't wait to see your pictures. Am I the only one that has only ONE outfit?

Of all the diets out there, I think the blood type diet makes the most sense.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #176
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:

I would have to challenge you on that statement. But not today, the important thing here is you know what works for you. It's a hard journey for others to find what works for them. So keep doin what you be doin girl!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #177
Abygale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I would have to challenge you on that statement.
Which statement? The one about A and AB not doing well on an Adkins type diet? If so, I'd like to hear what you have to say. I know a lot about the blood type diet and have a 16 year old daughter that happens to have type A blood. A high fat, high protein, low carb diet (Adkins) is disastrous for her. She does much better following a more typical Asian diet (type A prevalent areas) where they eat more grains, and fish, and not a lot of red meat. It's completely different than the diet I thrive on. While she still needs protein, her body doesn't need it from the same sources or in the same quantities that an O blood type person does.

The Adkins diet is not for everyone, especially those with type A blood. I believe that the notion that one diet can work for everyone is completely false.

Maybe I should have added more detail to my original post but I didn't really want to get into specifics of the blood type diet, but I firmly believe that it's beneficial if you follow it. I can't follow it to the letter because there is no way I can give up my coffee!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #178
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Quote:
Which statement? The one about A and AB not doing well on an Adkins type diet? If so, I'd like to hear what you have to say. I know a lot about the blood type diet and have a 16 year old daughter that happens to have type A blood. A high fat, high protein, low carb diet (Adkins) is disastrous for her. She does much better following a more typical Asian diet (type A prevalent areas) where they eat more grains, and fish, and not a lot of red meat. It's completely different than the diet I thrive on. While she still needs protein, her body doesn't need it from the same sources or in the same quantities that an O blood type person does.

The Adkins diet is not for everyone, especially those with type A blood. I believe that the notion that one diet can work for everyone is completely false.

Maybe I should have added more detail to my original post but I didn't really want to get into specifics of the blood type diet, but I firmly believe that it's beneficial if you follow it. I can't follow it to the letter because there is no way I can give up my coffee!
The Adkins diet is actually for NO ONE. You do not get proper nutrition on the Adkins diet. <-- period. You state you need a high protein and low carb. The same as your daughter, but the protein and carbs come from different sources. Is this based on taste preferences, because the body will process the food sources the same once broken down into the body. Once all that protein is broken down into amino acids to feed the body, how does the body know that amino acid came from beef, chicken, or fish? Now, I understand the importance on "taste" and food preferences, but saying the body does better on one type of protein over another is kind of a stretch. Unless they are lactose intollerant.

And I totally disagree on the "one diet can for for everyone". Only because we are using the word "diet" as a blanket statement, and that's where the confusion begins with people trying to understand what that word means.

Instead of the usual term of "diet", we should use the word "eating healthy". Diet implies you are on some strict food regime trying to lose weight. When we are talking about eating healthy or making better choices. It seems that EVERY diet on the market comes down to teaching people how to make better choices, and they will all have a high protein and low carb outcome. Some of them are just more 'sneaky' than others on how they teach it. I teach more Macro-nutrient tracking to allow you to see what works and what you are really eating. I train the healthy way.

When I'm training for a competition, my calories will jump to 4500 to 5000 a day for 2-3 months. Where it's high calorie and high carbs and super high protein. And when in maintenance mode, it's about 2800.

Here to serve.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #179
Abygale

The word diet means different things to different people as we've seen here. To me it means what you feed your body for nutrition. You do realize that over 70% of the world's population is lactose intolerant. Fortunately the symptoms are mild for many and some people don't even realize they are.

Our bodies were designed to produce the enzyme that breaks down lactose for only a short time.....while we are babies and surviving on our mother's milk. We were never intended to consume another mammal's milk so being lactose intolerant is not a bad thing at all, it's actually a sign of a digestive system that is working like it was intended.

If you ever get curious about learning more about the blood type diet, here is a link. http://www.dadamo.com/

Okay, back to the subject of this thread......

Spikey, what have you decided to do??? Have you made up your mind yet?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #180
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

agreed.. I would be happy to delete my post as we got waaay off topic, as they have nothing to do with this thread. And if a Mod wants to, no problem here.

And I don't by the Blood Type diet. I've read his book, and seen a lot of testimony. Much of it's like "I gave up pizza and baked potatos and lost 10 lbs in one month, it's amazing learning what type of blood type can help you lose weight". But hey, if it helps one person learn how to eat properly, it has done a good job.

It will be added to the list of....
Grapefruit diet
Adkins diet
Juice diet
Evolution diet
Southbeach diet
The Zone diet
etc.....

Last edited by hrpiii; 01-11-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #181
Bonnie
Bonfyre

Quote:
I can't wait to see your pictures. Am I the only one that has only ONE outfit?

Of all the diets out there, I think the blood type diet makes the most sense.
I will send a PM tomorrow I left my camera cord at work but Randy had fun taking pictures today, haha . I think its really important that we keep each other motivated, that way we don't fall off the wagon!!! I saw your link to the blood type diet, I'll check it out.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #182
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Wish I could make it to camaro5 fest to meet you folks. This thread is fun. Unfortunately, I can't make my work schedule fit around the fest. Maybe next year.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote