Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
vernal

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM 6M;1992 5.0 LX Hatch
"Preventative Parking" tips

I noticed a thread regarding the phenomena of people parking next to you regardless of how far away you park. It got a little heated over there, and the thread was closed. However, me and my sister have both noticed this phenomena over the years, and she has a few rules/guidelines on "preventative parking." No offense intended by any of these, they are simply pragmatic rules of thumb e.g. People with kids are more likely to have the doors swing accidentally while they're messing with whatever. I can't remember all of them, she's the master at it, but the ones I remember are:

Park with an island on one side of you, so only one side of your baby is exposed.

Never park next to the opening-side of a minivan with those slide-open doors.

At the risk of showing our ages, "Baby on Board" signs are a big no-no.

I may be slow, but the island one never occurred to me. Anyone have any others?
vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Try to park on one side of a really nice car. That car will probably show some respect in the parking lot if you do the same, and it will be less likely to damage your car.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
i always park right next to the curb of an island. Park next to similar class or higher class cars. If its a bad lot, will use another car. Stay in the car if its bad and its my last option. Nevr park in two spots or on an angle. Park as far back in the lane as possible so other cars backing up dont hit and run. Thats about it, the rest is just luck really.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
+1 on the island thing. I usually jam my car as close to that island as possible, that way there is extra room on the otherside. Making it almost impossible for anybody to door ding my car. Sometimes I can get about two or more feet between my passenger door, and the line. which makes about 3 to four feet between me and the vehicle beside me. It hasn't failed me yet, and I don't expect it to. Islands for the win
Old 12-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
Park next to someone who's car is super nice/waxed and sitting by itself.

I try to park my GTI in the far corner,one car can only park on one side of me.
I've been lucky,only cars I've found parked next to mine were...Challenger,Infiniti Coupe 2x and a Genesis Coupe.

Or have these handy reminders in your glove compartment
Name:  parkingsign.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  31.2 KB
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
+1 on the island thing. I usually jam my car as close to that island as possible, that way there is extra room on the otherside. Making it almost impossible for anybody to door ding my car. Sometimes I can get about two or more feet between my passenger door, and the line. which makes about 3 to four feet between me and the vehicle beside me. It hasn't failed me yet, and I don't expect it to. Islands for the win
+1
Old 12-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn200 View Post

I try to park my GTI in the far corner,one car can only park on one side of me.
I've been lucky,only cars I've found parked next to mine were...Challenger,Infiniti Coupe 2x and a Genesis Coupe.

Or have these handy reminders in your glove compartment
Attachment 80208
yeap, always find nice cars next to me for the most part.
lol imagine putting that on someones windshield haha
Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
vernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Try to park on one side of a really nice car. That car will probably show some respect in the parking lot if you do the same, and it will be less likely to damage your car.

She mentioned this, and surprisingly said that it works less than would be expected. She noticed that some with nice cars evidently can afford to fix them/trade them in after a year/whatever, and a generalization was not possible. I think her list likes BMWs, but doesn't like Mercedes sedans, for instance.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernal View Post
She mentioned this, and surprisingly said that it works less than would be expected. She noticed that some with nice cars evidently can afford to fix them/trade them in after a year/whatever, and a generalization was not possible. I think her list likes BMWs, but doesn't like Mercedes sedans, for instance.
interesting...never thought about that...lol then i guess parking next to an island is the best option
i forgot to add, i always park in between friends when we go out, thats the only real insurance policy
Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
If not an island, park at an end spot. Same concept as parking next to an island. Or park next to a handicapped spot. They're usually bigger so you can have extra room on at least one side to minimize the chance of a door ding.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I have found no matter how much space you give the car next to you if they leave and someone else pulls in they will pull alot closer to your car especially if you are parked to their passenger side.. many times I have come out where I have parked on an end space and someone has pulled in next to me on the driver's side and not given me enough room to even get into my car.. and some with long vans or pickups will park so crooked that they leave the rear end hanging across the back of my car...

I usually find the largest (longest and widest) parking space I can and park in it...and I will try to position my car far enough back in the space so that if they open their car door it will miss the front bumper of my car or bunp into my front tire..
Old 12-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
vernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
i forgot to add, i always park in between friends when we go out, thats the only real insurance policy
Thats right, she told me that a "true" friend, having arrived somewhere first, would be parked two spaces away from the island so she could have the island spot and be shielded on both sides.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn200 View Post

Attachment 80208
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
yeap, always find nice cars next to me for the most part.
Well, this is likely what "the drivers with not-so-nice cars" that most of us find parked next to our Camaros are thinking. The owners of those "not-so-nice" cars (some of us call POS) may consider their cars as priceless (per say) as we do our Camaros so they park next to us.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
tlc9193
The Original

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Skype™ to tlc9193
:f acepalm:
tlc9193 is offline   Reply With Quote