Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Camaro's from Dave

Drives: chevy
USB Port

Full Disclosure (I am not ordering a Camaro for myself but seeing as I sell them I would like to know all I can about them)

So I was in our 2LT RS Static unit today to play with the USB port. I brought along my 3rd gen 40 GB Ipod (hardrive based) and my 4GB Sandisk Sansa E260 (flash memory based)
When I pluged in my Ipod it took 15-20 secs to get setup and ready to roll. However My Sansa indexed for 10 mins and still wasn't ready to go. I tried it 3 times and still no luck.
Does anyone have any insight into this as to what I am doing wrong? I even looked in the Manual to be sure I wasn't missing the idiot switch haha
Any thoughts?
Camaro's from Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
The stereo uses the iPod's built-in index and other abilities because GM licensed the technology from Apple. For non-iPod products, the stereo accesses the unit as a standard USB Mass Storage Device, so the Sansa gets treated the same as a portable hard drive, flash drive, or SD card reader; the stereo must index all the music on it.

Other people report that it plays while it's indexing.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Camaro's from Dave

Drives: chevy
Mine would never play while indexing anytime I touched a button on the head unit it told the that "the operation is not available while indexing" Maybe I need to go back and play some more with it.
Camaro's from Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro's from Dave View Post
Mine would never play while indexing anytime I touched a button on the head unit it told the that "the operation is not available while indexing" Maybe I need to go back and play some more with it.
Hi Dave. PlaysForSure devices like your Sansa can be a bit finnicky. Not all players support the ability to play their music over the USB connection. It could be a setting on your device that is not set right for the vehicle to index your player correctly.

When you plugged in the Sansa, what icon and name showed up on the left side of the screen? Was it a music note and said PFD, or a USB icon with USB below it? The Sansa will like being treated as a PFD(PlayFromDevice) better than a USB drive. If it did show up that way, then it could be that that device just doesn't allow playing music over its USB connection. If it was showing up as a USB drive, then there should be a setting in the player's menus to configure it for Mass Storage Class mode vs. MTP mode. Set it up for MTP mode and see if that makes a difference.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
Hi Dave. PlaysForSure devices like your Sansa can be a bit finnicky. Not all players support the ability to play their music over the USB connection. It could be a setting on your device that is not set right for the vehicle to index your player correctly.

When you plugged in the Sansa, what icon and name showed up on the left side of the screen? Was it a music note and said PFD, or a USB icon with USB below it? The Sansa will like being treated as a PFD(PlayFromDevice) better than a USB drive. If it did show up that way, then it could be that that device just doesn't allow playing music over its USB connection. If it was showing up as a USB drive, then there should be a setting in the player's menus to configure it for Mass Storage Class mode vs. MTP mode. Set it up for MTP mode and see if that makes a difference.
And this is just one reason why I love this forum!

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
Jim Thompson
Thornton Chevrolet

Drives: Golf Cart
great info codeman...btw, I absolutely LOVe streaming music from my blackberry to the camaro from 30-40 feet away. what a great tailgating function!
Jim Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Newegg has a 10% sale right now on all hard drives. Are we sure that portable hard drives will not work?

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote